DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI should buy GoPro

macoman

Reactions
GoPro has been on sale and appear to be that Xiaomi is interested. I think DJI should buy GoPro because this will improve the camera on DJI products. What do you guys think about it?

Won't improve the camera to the tune of billions. DJI is about 80% equal to GoPro in the camera area. No reason to spend billions to get, perhaps a 20% improvement. GoPro's value is in branding. DJI already has a huge brand in their market.

GoPro are having a tough time. The Karma nearly killed them. Fingers crossed the new budget Hero sells well. it's a shame as there is no doubt they were pioneering in the action cam market. I have numerous and the Gopro's have always been star performers. Customer service isn't what it used to be which is also a shame.

Reactions: macoman
Not innovating there cameras enough to differentiate from the $50 knockoffs didn’t help. But between Karmas dropping from the sky and the Mavic Pro they were in big trouble. Had the Karma been flawless they might have had a chance.

There is no way DJI would be interested. DJI is a drone company and the GoPro brand name, after the Karma Drone Disaster, is worse than useless for DJI. No way they want to be associated with it now. Furthermore DJI, does not need the action cam tech. They already have it, or can get it from China if they want/need more. They also already have their own international sales, marketing, service network.

Xiaomi is a much better candidate. Xiaomi has a drone, but it's main focus is other consumer electronics, including action and surveillance cams. Beside this, unlike DJI, Xiaomi does not yet have an international sales, marketing, service network. If they buy GoPro this could not only help them with their cam tech, they will be much less likely to suffer from the bad press regarding the Karma Drone Disaster. And last but not least, it will give them access to a developed international sales and marketing network.

There is no way DJI would be interested. DJI is a drone company and the GoPro brand name, after the Karma Drone Disaster, is worse than useless for DJI. No way they want to be associated with it now. Furthermore DJI, does not need the action cam tech. They already have it, or can get it from China if they want/need more. They also already have their own international sales, marketing, service network.

Xiaomi is a much better candidate. Xiaomi has a drone, but it's main focus is other consumer electronics, including action and surveillance cams. Beside this, unlike DJI, Xiaomi does not yet have an international sales, marketing, service network. If they buy GoPro this could not only help them with their cam tech, they will be much less likely to suffer from the bad press regarding the Karma Drone Disaster. And last but not least, it will give them access to a developed international sales and marketing network.
Yup, the karma drone was a disaster. It's funny how they named "karma" and the drone itself will crash without any warning. I don't think they should have ever develop a drone without been deeply tested and the karma was obviously not tested or not produced with a quality certificated team.
I personally think their action camera is pretty good. Not saying that DJI does not provide good camera. However, owning a well known camera producer company can make DJI an authority in the camera market worldwide and not just be an only drone company.

Yup, the karma drone was a disaster. It's funny how they named "karma" and the drone itself will crash without any warning. I don't think they should have ever develop a drone without been deeply tested and the karma was obviously not tested or not produced with a quality certificated team.
I personally think their action camera is pretty good. Not saying that DJI does not provide good camera. However, owning a well known camera producer company can make DJI an authority in the camera market worldwide and not just be an only drone company.
True, the name Karma was a bad choice. They took a calculated risk by trying to beat the Mavic and launch it well before it was completed. The name Karma was almost as if they knew this was going to be their Waterloo. It was the first thing that entered my mind when I heard of the Karma name.

There was a time when DJI was very dependent on GoPro's success to sell their Phantom 1 and 2. And GoPro was obviously expecting to build extra business on the sudden increase of consumer drones. They probably envisioned a future with millions of consumer drones all carrying a GoPro. Until DJI all of a sudden came with their own integrated camera in the P2 Vision. At that time the relation between GoPro and DJI suddenly became way more complex. The Karma was (according to the strong rumours) an older design originating from those days (in the early stages a joint development with DJI), when it still looked like GoPro and DJI would partner up for the future. A well played typical Chinese strategy if that is true. They gave GoPro a basic concept but without the typical DJI Intellectual Properties. To make it a success they would have buy the IP, but DJI doesn't sell their IP, just like Apple never allows non Apple products to run on their proprietary (I)OS. When DJI pulled the plug the Karma was doomed.

Reactions: macoman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots