DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI should release a Mavic Mini 2 in 2020!

Enzobass

Reactions
With the Mini being new and having some growing pains, a Mavic, Mini 2 should be coming soon (or at least by Oct 2020)

I think the idea of a sub 250 gram drone with 3d gimbal is amazing, but as with very cheap competitive drones now having active track, and waypoint mission, etc, (which are software driven) and the Mini having some structural issues, such as flexing arm causing props to hit, I think it’s time for a Mavic Mini 2!

Why is a new Mavic Mini 2 coming in Oct 2020 or sooner?
Firstly look at the history of the Mavic Pro one of DJI’s most successful consumer drones as reference. They had a steady stream of “New”

Sept 2016 First Mavic Pro
Aug 2017 Mavic Pro Platinum
Aug 2018 Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom
2019 nothing new for the Pro
2020 Q1 Mavic 3

Secondly if DJI is banking on sub 250 gram market to be huge, they should be releasing a new Mini 2 by Oct 2020, or sooner if the current model has structural issues!

Mavic Mini 2, seems a no brainer, as most folks want 3 things:
1) fix the arms so they don’t flex and props hit
2) add active track and waypoint mission, more quick pics, etc. this is a simple software add on and if folks are afraid to crash the drone, as there are no front sensors, then don’t use the feature.
3) ability to fly In NFZ as this is allowed with sub 250 gram drones. Or limit to a reasonable distance so folks can fly the Mini in their backyards?

Yes 2 of the 3 above are software fixes, so at a minimum we should expect a firmware upgrade soon. But admitting the arms flex would require a recall or new arms to be sent out, which is very expensive. An add on fix the arms, would surely take the weight to 250 grams, above the magic “fly everywhere”.

So a logical and lucrative fix would be to release a Mini 2 with all the features everyone wants while addressing the flexing arms. Way cheaper for DJI, and creates another amazing little sub 250 gram drone all current Mini owners will want, and all those sitting on the fence due to the issues listed above, will now surely jump in!

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Mini is an amazing drone, but I will sit on the fence till the Mini 2 releases!

What are your thoughts?

I highly doubt it. The can barely stock store shelves with the current mini. Not to mention the batteries alone are like hens teeth. The on going crisis with the coronavirus in China does not help with the current production as we speak. They are better off making an effort to offer meaningful firmware updates at this point.

They have the technology you say the mini should have. The likely reasons they have chosen not to fit them are

• Already available on an existing model
  • Increases costs and takes the price out of the mini's sweet spot that sees it out of stock all the time
  • Adds to the weight taking it out of the other sweet spot, sub 250gm.

Reactions: Capt KO and BigAl07
Yeah......no.

The Sub 250g market no longer has much of an advantage in most regions.
From July you’ll need to register the Mini the EU and UK. So, there’s not much point in spending a lot of money on R&D on something with little to gain.

Reactions: mgste
DJI won’t even release the MP3 (a drone that is already probably designed) because people are still buying the MP2. DJI’s concerns aren’t to release a new thing because they can now do a better thing.... There’s more strategy going on than that.

Also, a lot of stuff that the current mini lacks is intentional. The hardware itself is capable of doing all of those things mentioned, they’re not provided so as to delineate the Mini from higher models (who is going to spend a few hundred dollars more for the next model up if the Mini just does it all?) Software changes can instantly make the Mini a 4K drone, did you know that? Quick shots and modes, same thing.... it’s even been found that the Mini DOES track..

You’re coming from a place of pure consumer benefit and DJI is coming from the perspective of a business....

Secondly if DJI is banking on sub 250 gram market to be huge, they should be releasing a new Mini 2 by Oct 2020, or sooner if the current model has structural issues!

Mavic Mini 2, seems a no brainer, as most folks want 3 things:
1) fix the arms so they don’t flex and props hit
2) add active track and waypoint mission, more quick pics, etc. this is a simple software add on and if folks are afraid to crash the drone, as there are no front sensors, then don’t use the feature.
3) ability to fly In NFZ as this is allowed with sub 250 gram drones. Or limit to a reasonable distance so folks can fly the Mini in their backyards?

As to #3 on your list. The "under 250 grams" does eliminate the need to register the drone. However it does not allow you to fly it anywhere you want or fly it in NFZ's that larger drones are prohibited from, at least here in the US. The only thing it does is avoid registration here.

Here's an article that discusses that point. What you need to know about the Mavic Mini and drone regulations

Reactions: BADMINI444
As to #3 on your list. The "under 250 grams" does eliminate the need to register the drone. However it does not allow you to fly it anywhere you want or fly it in NFZ's that larger drones are prohibited from, at least here in the US. The only thing it does is avoid registration here.

Here's an article that discusses that point. What you need to know about the Mavic Mini and drone regulations
For Canada under 250 grams is golden, no registration, no flight restrictions unless posted, the only rule in simplest terms is don’t do anything to put people at risk. So if you live near an Airport in a house ( so you are not on the runway) you can fly it outside your home, but over 250 you cannot.

Also under 250 grams allows folks to take their drone on vacation without registering or rules (well you should know the rules if any).

if you’re coming to Canada good luck if your drone is over 250 grams.

Can someone throw some more light on the flexing arms issue - I wasn't aware of this problem.

In India the sub 250 category known as "nano" did not require registration. However from the 1st of March they do. In fact all Quadcopter require to be registered.

Does anyone know if Transport Canada is planning to change the rules in regards to MM, are the announcing decisions like that with enough time so people can plan the next steps, like selling drone or getting a licence?

My take is that this is an INTRO level offering intended to attract consumers who are not sure of the technology or willing to drop several K (in whatever coin of the realm) on a UAV. A segment of mini purchasers will become more involved and trade up to more capabilities with their increased costs. Another segment will use them a few times and quit (or lose them because they do not understand wind or instructions), and a middle thicker segment will stay with this simpler smaller version of DJI's technology because it fits their hobbyist basic needs.
People bitching about limitations need to consider the price point to start with, and realize you get what you pay for, plain and simple.

This is a GREAT starter, trainer, evaluation level device to see if you like this technology and want to go deeper (higher?). When you learn to fly, you do not start in an A380 but in a light two seat trainer that has a lot of limitations. I see the mini as analogous to this and have no issue with the stated (and not so well stated) limitations, which I have learned to understand and respect. I anticipate some of the features discussed being added as firmware is updated, but not to the point where DJI loses its appeal to sell you the next better version to obtain those capabilities and advantages.

As far as regulatory compliance, I think this is going to ebb and flow as technology and the regulators reach an equilibrium; many governmental entities react initially with restrictive regs and then once there is institutional knowledge and experience temper those and revise them to reflect operational realities. Every new law, regulation, standard results in some user segment crying the end of the world as we know it, and then things settle out and your still here and breathing. Give the system time to settle.....

I look forward to adding to the fleet here with better, larger, stronger, faster technology at some point.....just a question of paying the bills.

Thanks for the smarts here, I look forward to reading this forum daily and most all of your contributions to it..

My take is that this is an INTRO level offering intended to attract consumers who are not sure of the technology or willing to drop several K (in whatever coin of the realm) on a UAV. A segment of mini purchasers will become more involved and trade up to more capabilities with their increased costs. Another segment will use them a few times and quit (or lose them because they do not understand wind or instructions), and a middle thicker segment will stay with this simpler smaller version of DJI's technology because it fits their hobbyist basic needs.
People bitching about limitations need to consider the price point to start with, and realize you get what you pay for, plain and simple.

This is a GREAT starter, trainer, evaluation level device to see if you like this technology and want to go deeper (higher?). When you learn to fly, you do not start in an A380 but in a light two seat trainer that has a lot of limitations. I see the mini as analogous to this and have no issue with the stated (and not so well stated) limitations, which I have learned to understand and respect. I anticipate some of the features discussed being added as firmware is updated, but not to the point where DJI loses its appeal to sell you the next better version to obtain those capabilities and advantages.

As far as regulatory compliance, I think this is going to ebb and flow as technology and the regulators reach an equilibrium; many governmental entities react initially with restrictive regs and then once there is institutional knowledge and experience temper those and revise them to reflect operational realities. Every new law, regulation, standard results in some user segment crying the end of the world as we know it, and then things settle out and your still here and breathing. Give the system time to settle.....

I look forward to adding to the fleet here with better, larger, stronger, faster technology at some point.....just a question of paying the bills.

Thanks for the smarts here, I look forward to reading this forum daily and most all of your contributions to it..
You make several strong points, the only one I question slightly is the third paragraph. IMO often once a regulation is in place, it’s easier for the government to let it ride than back it off. There are some exceptions, however, I think it’s best (and safest for us) to get it right the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amcrory and Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580