DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji smart controller less range than stock remote

herby68

Reactions
Ich habe einen Reichweitentest im FCC-Modus mit dem intelligenten Controller durchgeführt. Nach 4 km verlor das Videosignal und nach 4,6 km das Signal vollständig. nicht städtisches Gebiet. Meine Lagerfernbedienung im CE-Modus hier an gleicher Stelle 6km.
Das

Translate

I ran a range test in FCC mode with the intelligent controller. After 4 km lost the video signal and after 4.6 km the signal completely. not urban area. My storage remote control in CE mode here at the same place 6km.
The

Reactions: bonzo
I am the only one with weak signal? Stock remote goes much further

I can say this. Had the mavic pro 1. Stock controller of course. Got my mavic 2 pro with smart controller day before yesterday and I lost video signal a lot quicker than I did with mavic 1. Sure I have a lot of trees around. But I’m flying the same areas and I could get about 1.5 miles out before signal was even degraded. I didn’t get even a mile and it lost signal twice. Hmmmm

So far not impressed

I can say this. Had the mavic pro 1. Stock controller of course. Got my mavic 2 pro with smart controller day before yesterday and I lost video signal a lot quicker than I did with mavic 1. Sure I have a lot of trees around. But I’m flying the same areas and I could get about 1.5 miles out before signal was even degraded. I didn’t get even a mile and it lost signal twice. Hmmmm

So far not impressed

Actually finally had decent weather and this thing rocks. Didn’t lose signal so I will thumb it up to bad weather. And I sat in my house and connected an hdmi cable to my 65” 4K TV and that was pretty awesome.

So I take back the bad things I said

I find this to be quite scary. I got the DJI Goggles as a way to fight the sun, that was an epic fail since it turns out the M2P has super limited range when using the goggles, and DJI didn't bother to tell me that when I ordered them together in the package deal. I've been considering a Crystalsky or Pro Controller as an alternative for bright sun use. I've been leaning toward the pro controller (although at this point I'm thinking the Pro Controller is just a myth). However, if the Pro Controller also causes limited range... ugh. If its only limited range in bad weather that is just as bad because I love to fly when its cloudy or foggy, or even in light snow.

For me, I fly at a distance of .5 to 1 mile most of the time, but on occasion like to go out to 2-3 miles. The goggles don't let me reach either goal. I'd hoped the Pro Controller would be able to go the full distance without any issue.

I got my smart controller with the package so I paid less than full price for it. I’ve only really been able to fly today and it was full on sun and the screen was great and I never lost signal. The other thing is the quiz thing popped up during my flight and I had to power cycle the controller. It reconnected right away. That quiz blows and the website doesn’t work but everything about the controller is great.

I haven’t flown with the standard controller as I also bought the smart controller with the package. I can say I definitely exceeds capabilities of my gen 1 Mavic, Andy certainly takes me as far away as I need. Of course also limited to the C.E. Mode here in Oz

I got my smart controller with the package so I paid less than full price for it. I’ve only really been able to fly today and it was full on sun and the screen was great and I never lost signal. The other thing is the quiz thing popped up during my flight and I had to power cycle the controller. It reconnected right away. That quiz blows and the website doesn’t work but everything about the controller is great.

Did you power cycle the controller while in flight? Whenever I get the quiz in flight, I RTH and land first. Really annoying.

Did you power cycle the controller while in flight? Whenever I get the quiz in flight, I RTH and land first. Really annoying.

Yes I power cycled it mid flight. No I didn’t want to but I didn’t try to land. Now the nice thing is it was attempting to return to home when I turned it off and when I turned it back on I was reconnected and cancelled the auto landing and kept flying.
I hate that quiz. I bet after I do ever get to take it I will be 10x smarter though so I’m holding on to hope.

Yes I power cycled it mid flight. No I didn’t want to but I didn’t try to land. Now the nice thing is it was attempting to return to home when I turned it off and when I turned it back on I was reconnected and cancelled the auto landing and kept flying.
I hate that quiz. I bet after I do ever get to take it I will be 10x smarter though so I’m holding on to hope.

Rather than reboot while in the air, I hit the RTH button to bring it back. As long as the controller is running, I can still fly it. I just have no screen.

I have had a ticket open w DJI on this issue for about a month. Periodically they reach out to me, ask a question, apologize for the problem. But they do not yet have a solution.

Reactions: jve40
I find this to be quite scary. I got the DJI Goggles as a way to fight the sun, that was an epic fail since it turns out the M2P has super limited range when using the goggles, and DJI didn't bother to tell me that when I ordered them together in the package deal. I've been considering a Crystalsky or Pro Controller as an alternative for bright sun use. I've been leaning toward the pro controller (although at this point I'm thinking the Pro Controller is just a myth). However, if the Pro Controller also causes limited range... ugh. If its only limited range in bad weather that is just as bad because I love to fly when its cloudy or foggy, or even in light snow.

For me, I fly at a distance of .5 to 1 mile most of the time, but on occasion like to go out to 2-3 miles. The goggles don't let me reach either goal. I'd hoped the Pro Controller would be able to go the full distance without any issue.

Hi

I did not check full range but my experience
With SC is very good
No any problems with connection fo 10000 ft
And I fly over San Francisco
Please see pic of fly record attached IMG_2550.JPG

Reactions: Vlaak
I am getting a little more range out of the SC than I did with the standard remote, in heavy forested wifi area.

I am getting a little more range out of the SC than I did with the standard remote, in heavy forested wifi area.

This is what I read most often.Thumbswayup If anyone is having problems you should look into exchanging the unit through DJI.

Hi

I did not check full range but my experience
With SC is very good
No any problems with connection fo 10000 ft
And I fly over San Francisco
Please see pic of fly record attached

not afraid of cops? or are news about san fran getting now a regulation to fine $192 per incident of any flying in any city owned areas, parks included, exaggerated? or cops do not enforce it? how bad it really is - is it safe to fly there, in practical reality, or not?

and, i frankly do not ever try to impose anything, but, 1600ft over the city is an altitude where most news and medical helis can go - they have a limit of a 1000ft over the top of an obstacle, so, nowadays to fly like that over the city is, well, it can lead to some unpleasant issues, if caught. but, i really would like to know how things are, as in NYC it is quite strict.

Last edited:
not afraid of cops? or are news about san fran getting now a regulation to fine $192 per incident of any flying in any city owned areas, parks included, exaggerated? or cops do not enforce it? how bad it really is - is it safe to fly there, in practical reality, or not?

and, i frankly do not ever try to impose anything, but, 1600ft over the city is an altitude where most news and medical helis can go - they have a limit of a 1000ft over the top of an obstacle, so, nowadays to fly like that over the city is, well, it can lead to some unpleasant issues, if caught. but, i really would like to know how things are, as in NYC it is quite strict.

Hi
No it is not safe to fly in San Francisco
That why I fly my drone usually early morning
Or late evening so you can stay away from
SFPD and a lot of annoying people which
are not happy when see someone flying drone
About new law I did not hear anything
In SF a lot of restrictive areas but it all federal
Areas like national parks
You can use AirMap App to see all this areas
And also you can fly your drone above that areas but start and land you drone outside of these areas
But remember if someone want make problems
to you they will, because most of us not going with main FAA regulations like do not fly over people or fly your drone on the distance where you can see it, witch about 200-300 ft if you have good vision

Thx, i figured as much from other sources. Pity. Ordinance i mentioned was a city level ban to fly over city parks, etc. Not federal or FAA - SF city property level ban. More liberal there is, more restrictions there is...

Thx, i figured as much from other sources. Pity. Ordinance i mentioned was a city level ban to fly over city parks, etc. Not federal or FAA - SF city property level ban. More liberal there is, more restrictions there is...

Hi
I think you have incorrect info
You can fly in San Francisco
I checked web and did not find any new regulations
California low say you mast go with FAA
Regulation but nothing special

I think I found info witch you mentioned
Than ban say you can not fly drones or anything else in the city parks but they mean
You can not start or land drone in the park
But you can stay nearer the park, start your drone and fly over the park and after you done
Land your drone outside of the park area

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000