DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller; my opinion

Former Member

Reactions
The concept of a smart controller for the Mavic 2 was a good one. DJI had already successfully integrated a display into the Phantom 4 pro plus controller which worked very well. It had its limitations but over all I think it was a benefit to have one. As good as it was, I still preferred to use my own device versus the integrated display. Using my own device just offered me more flexibility, was larger and seemed like it booted up faster. I sold the integrated display in favor of a simple GL300F controller and never looked back.

Currently DJI offers the smart controller for the mavic 2 pro and zoom series. It was long awaited and anticipated and when it finally arrived some people were happy with it and others were not so excited. I fell into the latter group.

Without going into too much detail, the things that I liked about it were that it is integrated, you only need to carry one device with you instead of a controller and a phone, it was faster, and the display was quite well lit. Battery life is good and very few glitches (After the initial firmware problems.)

Now for what I didn't like about it. The 1st thing is I never really liked the idea of having to rely on one controller as your display and as a controller. If something happens to either the display or controller, you are down until the integrated unit gets repaired. With a phone, if the phone breaks, you could always use diffetent phone. With the normal controller, if that breaks you could just buy another controller. But with the smart controller you have to send the whole thing in for service.

A big complaint I had was the position of the display. With the phantoms, I always enjoyed the display being right out in front of me. In the Smart Controller, I don't like the display being below the controller, it's not a natural position for me. Even for my Mavic, I have a display extender that brings my phone closer to my eyes. It's also right out in front of me above the controller which is a natural position for me.

The last thing I'm going to say is that I wish they had just made the display size bigger. Everyone is complaining that it should have been at least 7" may be 8". It is being sold with their flagship consumer drone, so I think they should have just put more effort into making it a larger display to begin with. Now, everyone is waiting for the next DJI announcement hoping that this Smart Controller will be offered with a larger display, but I don't have much hope for that quite yet. DJI should have realized that most people use I pads or tablets to fly. No one is going to want to go back to a small display once they have experienced the ease of using a larger display.

Thanks for reading and if you like this post please click like at the bottom.

Best regards,

Rob

Last edited:
As an iOS user, I find the change to Android a problem. Don't know how to do basic things...
That's a good point. As a dedicated android user I never even realized what it means to IOS users to have to use an android device. To me, it was natural because all of my phones and devices are android but I can see that it would be a challenge for Apple users.

Why they did not put the screen near the top boggles the mind. Would have loved to been at that design meeting where they decided it should go at the bottom. ?

Oh... and the microphone on the back where you hand goes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your right.... I may cancel my order! but hey, I have a 45 day return policy!

A big complaint I had was the position of the display. With the phantoms, I always enjoyed the display being right out in front of me. In the Smart Controller, I don't like the display being below the controller, it's not a natural position for me. Even for my Mavic, I have a display extender that brings my phone closer to my eyes. It's also right out in front of me above the controller which is a natural position for me.

The last thing I'm going to say is that I wish they had just made the display size bigger. Everyone is complaining that it should have been at least 7" may be 8". It is being sold with their flagship consumer drone, so I think they should have just put more effort into making it a larger display to begin with. Now, everyone is waiting for the next DJI announcement hoping that this Smart Controller will be offered with a larger display, but I don't have much hope for that quite yet. DJI should have realized that most people use I pads or tablets to fly. No one is going to want to go back to a small display once they have experienced the ease of using a larger display.

Thanks for reading and if you like this post please click like at the bottom.

Best regards,

Rob

Reactions: Former Member
Why they did not put the screen near the top boggles the mind. Would have loved to been at that design meeting where they decided it should go at the bottom. ?

it would of cost more money and been a little bigger... but you are obviously right!

It might be me but I have absolutely no issue with the location of the screen vis a vis the control functions. I think the weight distribution/balance would have been off with less of the "wrap-around-hand" supporting the overall weight. Support would be mainly the thumbs and pointers with the remaining fingers below the module.

And larger, well, everything can be larger but there's tradeoffs - portability, packability and again even more weight.

But, again, just one person's opinion.

Try holding an SC upside down and you'll see why... doing that would require a lot of "dead area" below the sticks to allow holding it comfortably, making it much larger. Or you have to go with a foldable design, which arguably would be better but still bigger/thicker or with annoyances like having to unscrew the sticks everytime you fold it. Since one of the main arguments for the Mavic series is portability, one can see why they didn't want to make the SC too large by putting the screen on top and/or using a larger screen.

Did people complain about the placement of the screen (your phone) at the bottom with the standard controller? Everyone was able to make that work.

As an embarassed (and now skint!) owner of an enterprise dual, there are more than one design meetings i wish i had been at...gimbal cover design, fun extracted app (no active track ffs!), that awful controller/phone connection cable, a decent guide, i could go on..!

Reactions: Stockmanager
Did people complain about the placement of the screen (your phone) at the bottom with the standard controller? Everyone was able to make that work.

I did... I almost never used it. I would sit and put an iPad next to me. And if you Google "phone holder mavic" it shows a lot of people don't care for the placement either based on the number of results.

I would never go back to my Ipad after using the Smart Controller. The awkwardness and out of balance feel of the Ipad attached directly to the original controller or using an aftermarket Ipad holder is far less comfortable than the Smart Controller. The Apple products Ipad or phone are almost impossible to see in direct sunlight regardless of how large the screen is without one of those shield contraptions which causes even a more out of balance feel.

The Smart Controller battery life is excellent, easy to see in direct sunlight and easy and quick to power up and get on with the business of flying. No worry with phone or Ipad battery, receiving a call while working/flying and no cable hanging off the side.

I've used the phone, Ipad and Smart Controller. I'm very happy with the Smart Controller.

My only complaint is the screen size. Totally useless for peeps like me.
I would never go back to my Ipad after using the Smart Controller. The awkwardness and out of balance feel of the Ipad attached directly to the original controller or using an aftermarket Ipad holder is far less comfortable than the Smart Controller. The Apple products Ipad or phone are almost impossible to see in direct sunlight regardless of how large the screen is without one of those shield contraptions which causes even a more out of balance feel.

The Smart Controller battery life is excellent, easy to see in direct sunlight and easy and quick to power up and get on with the business of flying. No worry with phone or Ipad battery, receiving a call while working/flying and no cable hanging off the side.

I've used the phone, Ipad and Smart Controller. I'm very happy with the Smart Controller.

Each to his own, but a CS 7.85 to me is a better choice.

Screen size does matter. Before going to the Moverio BT 300 I had to have my reading glasses on to see my Iphone and then look over or remove them to see my drone. I was going to get an Ipad to try and solve this and will still probably purchase one once the HDMI device for the Moverio glasses is available separately. I'd love to be able to use my glasses with the IOS operating system and not have to fool with the touchpad.. But had the Smart Controller come with a bigger screen I would have considered it as an option too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag