DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller really as bad as its reputation?

dawaske

Reactions
Hello everyone!
I'm about to buy the DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo with Smart Controller, but after doing some research on this controller I'm a little worried this might not be the best of ideas. After all, apparently there are a lot pain points with the SC such as:

- poor range, especially in CE-regions (where I live)
- unstable video transmission/ stuttering
- vastly underpowered hardware
- infrequent firmware updates
- useless additional buttons (at least in combination with the MA2)

and probably some more that I forgot. The question, therefore, is:

Would you recommend spending about 200 bucks more on the Fly More Combo in order to get the Smart Controller instead of the regular Remote?

Note: I also own a Mavic 2 Pro that I could use the SC with.

Cheers,
Daniel

I have been a huge advocate of the SC : Weather Proof for us flying in the rain and easy switching of drones.
We did have to change the Transmission setting from HD to Smooth and Auto to get a extremely better signal

We added the Alien Mini Antenna system that provides a fantastic signal for long distance adventures

However there is some lag in the video feed no stuttering just a 3 second lag. which is annoying
You also have to push the Power Button on the Mavic 2 to make the switch , which is annoying also.
You cannot really Record with the SC as it is underpowered so stay away from that.

I think i you have more than 2 drones this is still a viable option.

But you have a new option and that is the tripple tek monitor which has some merits. Two of our clients in Alaska have been using them and very happy as they are also weather proof and provide some nice benefits that can be used with a camera where as the SC cannot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2 / S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: jetlag
Yes. You should get the combo. The SC is faster and easier to use then the standard controller setup, and has some nice additional features such as hdmi out.

Last edited:
I have not had one issue with mine. Maybe I was lucky. I have a MA2 and M2Z and run them both with it. I read a lot of negative reviews but the positive ones led me to get the SC and I think I made the right move. My phone is not tied up and can be used for something else. I’m flying in no time.

Hello everyone!
I'm about to buy the DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo with Smart Controller, but after doing some research on this controller I'm a little worried this might not be the best of ideas. After all, apparently there are a lot pain points with the SC such as:

Would you recommend spending about 200 bucks more on the Fly More Combo in order to get the Smart Controller instead of the regular Remote?

Cheers,
Daniel
I just bought some range extenders, never had any problems even a mile away. Never flown without them so never experienced any issues.

Reactions: RogerMav and jetlag
My only issue was the small screen, more to do with my eyesight than the SC. Fixed it by mirroring it to my iPad 11 pro, I love it.

I'm sure that you can find a number of posts from people who have had problems with their Mavic Air 2 drones, however, that did not stop you from choosing that model, so why let some negative posts bother you about the SC?

I have been using the SC with my Mavic 2 Pro and have never regretted a minute of it. It is a nice solid unit, very bright screen, no cables to connect or plugs to bugger up by accidently pushing a cable end in slightly wrong, It starts up quickly, has a long battery usage time between charges and since I don't fly farther than I can see the M2P, I have never noticed a range problem. Though I am interested in those Alien Mini antennas that Phantomrain has mentioned.

The ease and speed of use from start-to-fly is so quick, compared to using a controller and connecting the cables and fitting in a phone and adjusting the buttons etc. and for just a further $200 in cost, that should be a no brainer! As Nike says... JUST DO IT!

I have been a huge advocate of the SC : Weather Proof for us flying in the rain and easy switching of drones.
We did have to change the Transmission setting from HD to Smooth and Auto to get a extremely better signal

We added the Alien Mini Antenna system that provides a fantastic signal for long distance adventures

However there is some lag in the video feed no stuttering just a 3 second lag. which is annoying
You also have to push the Power Button on the Mavic 2 to make the switch , which is annoying also.
You cannot really Record with the SC as it is underpowered so stay away from that.

I think i you have more than 2 drones this is still a viable option.

But you have a new option and that is the tripple tek monitor which has some merits. Two of our clients in Alaska have been using them and very happy as they are also weather proof and provide some nice benefits that can be used with a camera where as the SC cannot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2 / S in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Phantomrain... Could you please describe how/what you did under settings, to get a better range with the Smart Controller? Is there any down side to changing to what you did, over the way it was set before?

I loved my Smart Controller (for sale in the classified section). Never had a problem using it with my MA2. Far better than the standard controller, unfortunately it can't compensate for rapidly failing eyesight!

Reactions: RogerMav
Which ones did you buy? Had you noticed a problem prior to making the purchase?
No, no problem experienced, will look and find the ones I bought and get back to you.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Hello everyone!

Cheers,
Daniel

The SC transmission problems seem to be specific to the Air 2S. With other models it seems to work just fine.

Other disadvantages include lack of support or poor performance with some third-party software, especially some of the mapping programs.

Aside from that it seems to be an excellent controller as mentioned by others above - well built, a great screen and no fiddling around with a phone or tablet. I use it with the M2P and M2EA.

Hello everyone!

Cheers,
Daniel
I like it. No probs so far, other than no easy way (that I have found) to preload/cache maps in Fly app, although there is in GO4. The HDMI is a great feature.

Hello everyone!

Cheers,
Daniel
I've had one for almost 2 years, love it and wouldn't fly without it.

Reactions: RogerMav
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser