DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart controller sun hood / sunshade

bzmot

Reactions
Has anyone heard of a sunhood for the DJI smart controller? Can't find it online yet, I suspect the controller is too fresh, but I have ordered it and am anxious to start flying. In my experience, even the 2000 nit Crystal Sky benefits from a sunhood in extremely bright conditions so this would be my first purchase after the controller arrives :)

I just sold my CS-Ultra because it just wasn't necessary. The Smart Controller works fine for me in very bright sunlight. Fly with the new controller, and you might realize that no hood is necessary.

Reactions: Buddy PR
Thank you but like said I already flew in conditions where the sunhood was very useful or even needed and mind you that I used the Crystal Sky Ultra version, twice as bright as the smart controller.

I have not seen any mention of a hood for the SC. That does not mean that some off-brand does not offer something.

Last edited:
I used the smart controller for 8 straight days in Southern FL, on a boat in open water. Not a cloud in the sky and could see the screen perfect at any angle. I cant imagine a situation where a sun hood would be needed.

I was one of those people that never thought I would actually need a sunshade for this controller but yesterday the sun was just right and I had to pivot my body to create some shade in order to see detail. Stupid old eyes! I suppose I will be putting this on the list of "things to buy"

Reactions: flycajun
I used the smart controller for 8 straight days in Southern FL, on a boat in open water. Not a cloud in the sky and could see the screen perfect at any angle. I cant imagine a situation where a sun hood would be needed.

I live at a similar latitude to you but in Asia, and there's no way 1000 nits is usable in direct tropical sunshine. I can barely tell if the screen is on or not when the sun is directly overhead.

Plus (unlike smartphone displays) the smart controller's brightness falls off rapidly at even a slightly oblique viewing angle.

For me, that shade is gonna be a must-buy.

I purchased this hood which works well, though there are a couple of "flaws":
Amazon.com: Kismaple Remote Controller Monitor Hood Sunshade Sun Hood for DJI Smart Controller Screen Sun Shade: Toys & Games

I wrote a review on Amazon, but the gist of it is the plastic clips that hold the hood in place are too tight, I fixed this by reaming the hole with a slightly larger drill bit an removed material from the throat of the clip. That worked fine.

The next problem, is the design of their mounting screws didn't work well with a neck strap which I find convenient to use. Solved that problem by fabricating a couple of stainless steel tangs as shown in the pics. Hopefully the hood mfg takes note.

hood tang 1.jpg

hood tank 2.jpg

Reactions: ff22
I purchased this hood which works well, though there are a couple of "flaws":
Amazon.com: Kismaple Remote Controller Monitor Hood Sunshade Sun Hood for DJI Smart Controller Screen Sun Shade: Toys & Games

I wrote a review on Amazon, but the gist of it is the plastic clips that hold the hood in place are too tight, I fixed this by reaming the hole with a slightly larger drill bit an removed material from the throat of the clip. That worked fine.

The next problem, is the design of their mounting screws didn't work well with a neck strap which I find convenient to use. Solved that problem by fabricating a couple of stainless steel tangs as shown in the pics. Hopefully the hood mfg takes note.

View attachment 88438

View attachment 88437
I have the same sun shade and neck strap. Did you buy those clips or make them?

I think you are talking about the little stainless steel bit with two holes. I've heard that referred to as a tang - at least in cable stays and such on a sailboat. Anyway, I made them from a bit of sheet stainless steel.

Edit to add: Drill the holes first, then cut out the pieces!

Last edited:
Ok great. Too bad there is not much for solutions out there to have a sun shade and neck strap

Found these little gems at Home Depot today. Seem to work great and Smart Controller still fits in case without issue.

Attachments

• E348A489-4AF5-431F-8E39-4ACCA1D45B29.jpeg
    E348A489-4AF5-431F-8E39-4ACCA1D45B29.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 8B4FE59C-5103-4EAE-81C6-EB681D456D67.jpeg
    8B4FE59C-5103-4EAE-81C6-EB681D456D67.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • 6F0FD64F-2BF4-485D-B9CC-CADC92DC5A95.jpeg
    6F0FD64F-2BF4-485D-B9CC-CADC92DC5A95.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • A9EE0C8D-196E-4405-8372-C8A6D99804A0.jpeg
    A9EE0C8D-196E-4405-8372-C8A6D99804A0.jpeg