DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Unlock Feature in NFZ

Mirabeau Lamar

Reactions
Hey all,
There are certain areas around me that are in the Class C airspace of San Antonio Int Airport. 98% of the time there is no issue flying after getting an FAA authorization code via Airmap. However, there seem to be certain neighborhoods where DJI red no fly zone is invoked requiring an unlock code. I get the code, input it as required, check off the boxes to confirm I understand the risks, and invariably get the "Failed to unlock" message. I've reinstalled GoPro app multiple times with no resolution.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanx

Could there be a temporary flight restriction? Airmap docs indicate "including real-time updates about temporary restrictions for large stadium gatherings, national security events, and wildfires. Some drones and drone software include geofencing capabilities to help drone pilots avoid flying over or near these areas." Just a thought.

Don't think so, it seems to be a small area each time, but there is FAA clearance granted each time this happens. I don't understand how DJI overides the FAA

Hey all,
There are certain areas around me that are in the Class C airspace of San Antonio Int Airport. 98% of the time there is no issue flying after getting an FAA authorization code via Airmap. However, there seem to be certain neighborhoods where DJI red no fly zone is invoked requiring an unlock code. I get the code, input it as required, check off the boxes to confirm I understand the risks, and invariably get the "Failed to unlock" message. I've reinstalled GoPro app multiple times with no resolution.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanx
I am not familiar with Airmap. What is it? It appears that it allows you to get FAA authorization but what is the actual process? Thanks.

If you download Airmap map to your device you can see the NFZ in your area. If you are a 107 pilot you can get immediate authorization to fly in some restricted areas.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you download Airmap map to your device you can see the NFZ in your area. If you are a 107 pilot you can get immediate authorization to fly in some restricted areas.
Use it every time I fly as I’m on the edge (last 200yards) of an NFZ, even though I fly away from it.

Hey all,
Any thoughts on this?
Thanx
Take a look at post #7 in this thread to see if it helps:
Mavic Air, won't take off close to Airport

You may have a Heliport, or private airstrip in the area. DJI is famous for locking out areas on their map that no longer exist. They stopped me once as I was near an old helipad that no longer existed but was still on their system.

For what its worth, AIRMAP is a bad place to support, they lobby to take away airspace from hobby and commercual UAV operators up to 400', which will destroy the UAV industry. Try KittyHawk, much better program, easy to use and many more functions.

You may have a Heliport, or private airstrip in the area. DJI is famous for locking out areas on their map that no longer exist. They stopped me once as I was near an old helipad that no longer existed but was still on their system.

For what its worth, AIRMAP is a bad place to support, they lobby to take away airspace from hobby and commercual UAV operators up to 400', which will destroy the UAV industry. Try KittyHawk, much better program, easy to use and many more functions.
Each to his own. Is that bill you reference about AirMap still around (Feinstein)? I thought it died in the legislature in 2017.

Each to his own. Is that bill you reference about AirMap still around (Feinstein)? I thought it died in the legislature in 2017.

Agree, its personal choice. Just find it hard to support an company that has worked so hard to damage this industry.

Reactions: ARam55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair