DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Wide-angle Lens attached - Unable to shoot in... almost everything!

BlairAir

Reactions
So I have the lens, add-on lens, adapter. Whatever you want to call it, I have it. Its good. Image quality is good for this type of add-on to the default lens. The veiw is not as wide as my expectations had built up, with a bump form 84° to 108° but I have only taken a quick flight without good subject matter or interesting landscape so I will reserve judgement there.

Where I feel let down, while understanding some of the reasoningis on restrictions. You cannotuse the lens for:
  • Quickshots
  • Mastershots
  • Hyperlapse *
  • Panorama
That's basically everything except Video and photo. I knew it was coming when I left a filter not clicked fully onto the camera and got a pop-up "Wide Angle Lens attached-Unable to shoot in Hyperlapse." - so I expected some of this. Of course there are issues with autonomous modes having a different focal length, and Quickshots... But Hyperlapse? Come on! I know folks will chip in with the potential issues, but why not let the end user work these things out. Do they really have to lick everything down, essentially dumbed down all in the name of squeaky wheels who complain about every undesirable outcome, vs taking ownership.

Its lke the old adage: Good photo? It's because I am a genius photographer. Bad photo? It's because this camera sucks. We all know this type of thinking. Sigh. I'll put a video with the mode unavailable pop-ups and a normal vs wide shot. Like I said, it's a terrible example. I'm going out to a reservoir in next few days. THAT will illustrate the wide angle more vividly.

Wide angle
Screenshot_20220118-133710.png
Standard Photo
Screenshot_20220118-133731.png

Check out the pop-ups when I click on modes. Video is first, check, then photo, check. Nothing else is usable. This doesn't mean "unavailable" - it means DISABLED. Not too thrilled about this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-133657.png
    Screenshot_20220118-133657.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220118-133728.png
    Screenshot_20220118-133728.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: SmilingOgre
There seems to be a blue/purple color shift, when you shoot with the wide-angle lens adaptor. However I don't see that color shift in the sample images from other folk's posts, so I am not sure what is going on here.

For Panorama, you can always manually shoot a couple of images and stitch them together in post-production, so there is a work-around.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Good point on manual panoramas, a conversation I've had in another thread. The Hyperlapse exclusion bothers me more. I wanted to experiment with the wider Format, yet that's the first one I learned wouldn't work. I looked at the mount points vs ND Filters and could not see a physical difference. I wonder if a micrometer could determine if the locking tabs are perhaps a bit longer? Outside of that, I'm stumped on how it identifies itself to the drone. Anyone want to take a swing at explaining?

Good point on manual panoramas, a conversation I've had in another thread. The Hyperlapse exclusion bothers me more. I wanted to experiment with the wider Format, yet that's the first one I learned wouldn't work. I looked at the mount points vs ND Filters and could not see a physical difference. I wonder if a micrometer could determine if the locking tabs are perhaps a bit longer? Outside of that, I'm stumped on how it identifies itself to the drone. Anyone want to take a swing at explaining?
Load on gimbal? One of the magnets also looks like a pogo-pin, so perhaps it's pressing down on it? Anyone have a good photo of the backside of the wide angle adapter?

Load on gimbal? One of the magnets also looks like a pogo-pin, so perhaps it's pressing down on it? Anyone have a good photo of the backside of the wide angle adapter?
I'll post one in the morning along side the stock clear cover and one of the DJI Branded ND Filters. They are exact to my eye and the hooks and metal plates that the spring loaded pins that keep the covers tight also match. One has a small divot to lock the frame into position and the other is flat. I assume they could provide a small chip or +/- micronutrients between pins to identify the installed device.

Before anyone start modding with their wide angle lens. I took out both pins and it doesn’t helps. However I might have a solution in the future. I was able to activate hyperlapse and master shot with the wide angle lens on. Going to need to replicate it a few more times.65C6AAA0-DFE4-4319-832E-DF0B62368C80.jpeg

Reactions: merak75
To enable all modes with the WA lens you need to remove one of the embedded magnets. The magnet trips a sensor in the camera body that tells the system the WA lens is installed. It then prevents various shooting modes- why that is I don't know. Maybe because the props are much more likely to get into frame. Regardless, just remove the magnet and you can shoot whatever you want.

To enable all modes with the WA lens you need to remove one of the embedded magnets. The magnet trips a sensor in the camera body that tells the system the WA lens is installed. It then prevents various shooting modes- why that is I don't know. Maybe because the props are much more likely to get into frame. Regardless, just remove the magnet and you can shoot whatever you want.
You know this by experience? Or you’re just spreading what you read online?

I remove one of the magnet and it still triggered. So o can assure you that’s not that case here.

Reactions: ssvdh66
You know this by experience? Or you’re just spreading what you read online?

I remove one of the magnet and it still triggered. So o can assure you that’s not that case here.
Even the $30 knock off wide angle lens with no magnets triggers this, it's not magnet related but most likely weight related. Just a FYI, the cheaper knock off is horrible, the images it produces are so soft and out of focus it's useless, do not buy the cheap version from eBay or ali, it's a paperweight, sick with the DJI branded if you go wide angle.

Reactions: TuanQt
Even the $30 knock off wide angle lens with no magnets triggers this, it's not magnet related but most likely weight related. Just a FYI, the cheaper knock off is horrible, the images it produces are so soft and out of focus it's useless, do not buy the cheap version from eBay or ali, it's a paperweight, sick with the DJI branded if you go wide angle.
you are totally correct I believe that the action was triggered by the weight of the WAL. I took out the left magnet first and it still triggered it, I took out the right magnet and it still triggered it.
0A671FA2-C0E1-4877-9393-67C849EED170.jpeg

A ) NOT the weight. I triggered the messages with a filter weeks before these shipped. The filter got slightly twisted off and up popped the "Wide Angle Lens Attached" message. I can recreate that at will by having a filter slightly disengaged and trying any autonomous mode. See my other thread from Jan 8th titled "

Interesting discovery re: the yet to ship Wide-angle lens adapter!​

B) These are NOT magnetic NOT magnets. Have zero magnetism. Don't think I can say it any clearer. They are MOUNT devices that the pogo pins press on, likely for 2 purposes. 1. Hold the filter or lens in place. Good luck keeping it on the camera module without one or both of these. 2. To identify the attachment. I learned of it weeks before these became available.

I believe if there are any electronic or "magnetic" properties, they would exist on the stock cover and filters and NOT on the Wide angle adapter. This is why when one of my filters was not fully rotated into place, the drone thought I had the Wide angle adapter in place. I suspect it gets 2 positive readings for one condition and a +/- fir the other condition.

If I were to go removing these, I would do so on a cheap filter like the black VND one I show in second pic - this could help answer the question- is it something ON the Wide angle or something missing that's on everything else. The new lens is kind of pricey to be messing with. I am skeptical that we are getting 24° of additional FOV with this. They spec it at 108° vs 84° for the stock lens without it attached. It possible, since at altitude it wouldn't change the general appearance that much. I was just hoping for a more dramatic look.

Also wondering if the tiny QR Code has some property that's readable (not visual but an additional chip behind it.) The Wide angle lens is the only mountable device that I have seen it on.
20220123_140014.jpg
20220123_140829.jpg
One additional bit of information. The pitch angle of the gimbal will be reduced with the lens (adapter) on. How do I know? I am one of "those" people who RTFM. DJI has not deemed us worthy of knowing the exact number of degrees and in which directions but a simple flightbtest or even a bench test would reveal the mystery number. THIS is to keep propsvout of the ****. The rest of the modes have many potential reasons to not allow a different FOC. They would have to have different versions with different geometry for every example of the lens being attached.

Attachments

• 20220123_140014.jpg
    20220123_140014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Try scanning that little QR code with the D SERIAL app, I bet it's for a production date and internal quality control, looks kinda like that same style.

I do know the knock off wide angle I bought of ebay for like $40 has nothing fancy, doesn't even have glass covering on the tele lens, its wide open to the air and for some reason that feed is just a fuzzy unrradable mess without some glass in front of it.

A ) NOT the weight. I triggered the messages with a filter weeks before these shipped. The filter got slightly twisted off and up popped the "Wide Angle Lens Attached" message. I can recreate that at will by having a filter slightly disengaged and trying any autonomous mode. See my other thread from Jan 8th titled "

B) These are NOT magnetic NOT magnets. Have zero magnetism. Don't think I can say it any clearer. They are MOUNT devices that the pogo pins press on, likely for 2 purposes. 1. Hold the filter or lens in place. Good luck keeping it on the camera module without one or both of these. 2. To identify the attachment. I learned of it weeks before these became available.

I believe if there are any electronic or "magnetic" properties, they would exist on the stock cover and filters and NOT on the Wide angle adapter. This is why when one of my filters was not fully rotated into place, the drone thought I had the Wide angle adapter in place. I suspect it gets 2 positive readings for one condition and a +/- fir the other condition.

If I were to go removing these, I would do so on a cheap filter like the black VND one I show in second pic - this could help answer the question- is it something ON the Wide angle or something missing that's on everything else. The new lens is kind of pricey to be messing with. I am skeptical that we are getting 24° of additional FOV with this. They spec it at 108° vs 84° for the stock lens without it attached. It possible, since at altitude it wouldn't change the general appearance that much. I was just hoping for a more dramatic look.

Also wondering if the tiny QR Code has some property that's readable (not visual but an additional chip behind it.) The Wide angle lens is the only mountable device that I have seen it on.
View attachment 142494
View attachment 142495

View attachment 142494
View attachment 142495
One additional bit of information. The pitch angle of the gimbal will be reduced with the lens (adapter) on. How do I know? I am one of "those" people who RTFM. DJI has not deemed us worthy of knowing the exact number of degrees and in which directions but a simple flightbtest or even a bench test would reveal the mystery number. THIS is to keep propsvout of the ****. The rest of the modes have many potential reasons to not allow a different FOC. They would have to have different versions with different geometry for every example of the lens being attached.
Funny you mention that, on my WAL without the 2 “pins” I was able to activate hyperlapse and active track with it on :) took some tweaking

Here is a quick video showing the drone with wide angle lens working with active track, hyperlapse and mastershots

Try scanning that little QR code with the D SERIAL app, I bet it's for a production date and internal quality control, looks kinda like that same style.

I do know the knock off wide angle I bought of ebay for like $40 has nothing fancy, doesn't even have glass covering on the tele lens, its wide open to the air and for some reason that feed is just a fuzzy unrradable mess without some glass in front of it.
That's probably right about the QR Code. Or just a link the the spec page or manual.

Funny you mention that, on my WAL without the 2 “pins” I was able to activate hyperlapse and active track with it on :) took some tweaking
Tweaking? That's not really helpful. What exactly did you tweak? My point is the magnets are not magnets and a filter can simulate the lens when slightly twisted. The goal is to figure out what the detection mechanism is, and share the info here. I don't have any solution, but I am sharing what I have learned to date. If you have overridden the detection method, that's terrific. Tell us how so the entire community can do the same if they wish to. I'm thrilled you can use it for Hyperlapse and Active Track and Mastershots. How about sharing the methodology you used to do so for the rest of us. You removed the "magnets" (they are not magnetic" but you can call them whatever you wish) and the "took some tweaking" - Interested in the tweaking part. Care to share?

Tweaking? That's not really helpful. What exactly did you tweak? My point is the magnets are not magnets and a filter can simulate the lens when slightly twisted. The goal is to figure out what the detection mechanism is, and share the info here. I don't have any solution, but I am sharing what I have learned to date. If you have overridden the detection method, that's terrific. Tell us how so the entire community can do the same if they wish to. I'm thrilled you can use it for Hyperlapse and Active Track and Mastershots. How about sharing the methodology you used to do so for the rest of us. You removed the "magnets" (they are not magnetic" but you can call them whatever you wish) and the "took some tweaking" - Interested in the tweaking part. Care to share?
As mentioned above I removed both pins and it’s a hit or miss with the system. Some time it worked, like in the video. And other time it detect the lens. I ordered another lens and tried the same thing but the untampered lens always detected by the drone. I haven’t found a way to bypassed the system 100% so that’s why I am not going to tell what I completely did just in case people tried and mess up their drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent