DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI will not return damaged antenna that has been replaced

Jlim

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 Pro and the right antenna was broken. I received a quote to replace the antenna from DJI for Australian $63.00 which consists of:

One antenna AUD $3.00
Repair service fee AUD $60.00

When I asked for the broken antenna to be returned to me, DJI advised that they cannot return the damaged antenna but will only return the remote control with the new antenna. In principle, I do not think that it is right for DJI to dictate their terms to consumers particularly when the damaged antenna is still the property of the consumer who has paid for the antenna to be replaced.

Frankly speaking this is not the first time that I have had issues with DJI. DJI has persistently laid down their own rules and interpretation of consumers' law to suit itself. It's a simple request to return the damaged antenna and I do not understand why DJI has refused to do that and responded by stating that they cannot return the damaged antenna.

Dealing with DJI is like having one's tooth pulled out. DJI do not read instructions and documents sent to them and DJI's communication is atrocious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I always wondered why they dont give you the broken parts back.

I almost always return broken parts to the customer. It's essentially proof of what was replaced. Even car dealers ask you if you want the old parts back.

Try asking a large western company the same thing and you'll see how it goes... Apple for example :rolleyes:
It does mean that it's right to be dictated or bullied by large companies (western or eastern) in relation to one's basic consumers' rights. If no one takes a stand the bullying/dictatorial behaviour by these companies will continue until we longer have any consumers' rights altogether.

Also do these companies know anything about maintaining good customers' relationships. What's the point of spending so much in advertising and promotions when these companies do not maintain basic good customers' relationships. Are the products of these companies so good that we have to withstand their bullying and arrogance. I for one will try to avoid DJI from now on.

By the way large companies like Canon, Nikon and Sony do return the faulty and damaged parts even without the customers asking for them. Kudos to those companies and shame on DJI.

Last edited:
It seems like every time I send a customer their broken parts back, they always comment on how nice it was to have the broken parts back. I feel the same way.
I agree and it's very courteous of you to do that. It gives the customer more confidence in using your services and maintain good relationships with your customers. It's all common sense and courtesy.I guess that is a very hard thing to expect from large companies nowadays, in particular DJI.

Last edited:
In my many years in electronics repair I always included the replaced parts when the items were picked up BUT if it was a warranty repair the bad part either had to be sent to the manufacturer or the manufacturer made us “ field destroy” the replaced part. We were often not allowed to give the warranty replaced parts back to the customer.

It does mean that it's right to be dictated or bullied by large companies (western or eastern) in relation to one's basic consumers' rights. If no one takes a stand the bullying/dictatorial behaviour by these companies will continue until we longer have any consumers' rights altogether.

Is there actually something in consumer rights about that? First time I'd be hearing about it. It's "good practice" some do, but I don't believe it's actually a requirement, and most certainly isn't since Apple goes above and beyond to make sure any part whether working or damaged never ends in the wild and can get away with it.

Are the products of these companies so good that we have to withstand their bullying and arrogance.
They can totally afford it because nobody comes even close, AND the others usually don't have much better practices anyway... but the point is somewhat moot anyway.

By the way large companies like Canon, Nikon and Sony do return the faulty and damaged parts even without the customers asking for them.
I had 2 Sony cameras repaired for cracked screens but never got the broken part back with them.

It doesn't mean it's right, but try getting any major electronics company to give you the failed/broken parts back - probably not going to happen. Sometimes this has to do with them wanting to keep the parts to investigate what failed and how it failed so they can improve future products. If it's a large part, they probably don''t want to pay extra to ship it back to you either. This is reasonable in my opinion, especially given that the vast majority of people would not have any use for old broken parts anyway. For sure some people would like it, and perhaps that includes higher percentage of us enthusiasts here, but I don't think the average customer cares.

Most people can't even get their vehicle dealership to show them the 'broken' parts that need 'replacing', getting an enormous company who only communicates though untrained support staff to do so is likely a futile exercise.

I've been primarily a Nikon shooter for more than 2 decades now and helped many colleagues through the warranty/service process, and I have never seen parts come back. Canon Canada doesn't send parts back either. I have also had numerous hardware issues with Apple products, and they do not let you keep anything either. I think it is very rare.

Broken parts returned by Canon Australia when I did not even ask for them.The point is that the parts still belong to the customer and not the companies that carried out the repairs and should be returned if the customer asks for them. They have no right to use broken parts for research. They have not paid the customer for the parts, the parts do not belong to them. The broken antenna is only a very small part costing AUD$3.00 and weighing only a few grams. Why can't it be returned together with the repaired remote control. I do not accept bullying, arrogance or disrespect of consumers' right by any companies. DJI ranks as one of the worse offenders coming across as rude and arrogant in its' response to the request to return the broken antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_3373.JPG
    IMG_3373.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Not sure what the actual situation in the OP is, BUT if the unit was sent in for warranty repair, and a part or parts were replaced, and the unit was returned to the customer. The customer is whole.
He has every antenna or any other parts he had paid for and should not expect a "free" one. (broken or not)
IF the OP was charged for a replacement, one could say he is owed the old parts, but typically you would need to request that with the initial repair request. Otherwise there is a 99% chance that a broken little plastic part is in the trash bin within a minute of its removal, and you have pretty much NO chance of getting it even a day after you get the repair back.

Is there actually something in consumer rights about that? First time I'd be hearing about it. It's "good practice" some do, but I don't believe it's actually a requirement, and most certainly isn't since Apple goes above and beyond to make sure any part whether working or damaged never ends in the wild and can get away with it.

They can totally afford it because nobody comes even close, AND the others usually don't have much better practices anyway... but the point is somewhat moot anyway.

I had 2 Sony cameras repaired for cracked screens but never got the broken part back with them.
I don't know about your country but in Australia, consumers' law maintains the right of the customer to request for the broken parts as they are still the properties of the consumers. If the parts are large and shipping cost levied, it is then up to the consumer to decide whether to pay the shipping cost. Perhaps you should also research the consumers' law in your country. In Australia a lot of consumers asked to be shown the broken parts that have been replaced particularly in the motor vehicles trade.

I don't know about your country but in Australia, consumers' law maintains the right of the customer to request for the broken parts as they are still the properties of the consumers. If the parts are large and shipping cost levied, it is then up to the consumer to decide whether to pay the shipping cost. Perhaps you should also research the consumers' law in your country. In Australia a lot of consumers asked to be shown the broken parts that have been replaced particularly in the motor vehicles trade.
That is pretty much the case in the USA. BUT, for a non warranty repair, if you want the old parts, you have to ask them for them BEFORE they complete the repair. You cant expect that every defective part is labeled and cataloged and still at the repair shop and they keep them forever.
Useless broken parts are trash.

Not sure what the actual situation in the OP is, BUT if the unit was sent in for warranty repair, and a part or parts were replaced, and the unit was returned to the customer. The customer is whole.
He has every antenna or any other parts he had paid for and should not expect a "free" one. (broken or not)
IF the OP was charged for a replacement, one could say he is owed the old parts, but typically you would need to request that with the initial repair request. Otherwise there is a 99% chance that a broken little plastic part is in the trash bin within a minute of its removal, and you have pretty much NO chance of getting it even a day after you get the repair back.
The broken antenna was requested at the same time as payment for the repair was made. At that point no repair had been carried out as yet and I believe still not yet repaired.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo