DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

do delivery drones fly Vlos?

Reactions

Well, uh.

Delivery drones are supposed to be autonomous. Meaning they fly for themselves I think. So I guess they do. But it has to be a company with a bvlos waiver.

There's drones that deliver coffee somewhere I forgot. I don't think they are manually piloted. Or maybe they are. But if they are which I have no idea, it's definitely BVLOS. Because bvlos would be required to make those kinds of deliveries.

Walmart in Northwest Arkansas is experimenting with a delivery service. They are using planes and not drones yet. They service a 10 mile radius.

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA Regs Part 107 for Small UAS and Part 135 for Aair Taxi are nearly finalized for flight beyond VLOS by small drones operating under 400 feet and a new class of heavy lift logistics drones operating in and out of airports and on airways with piloted aircraft. The aviation agencies in the UK, EU, India, and several other places are in similar stages of rule making, and there is some cooperation among them to get similar specs so manufacturers will know what to build into their drones.

In the US, Verizon already offers their Skyward service to extend the range of control and telemetry for small drones using 4G LTE or 5G and Parrot already builds a drone that's compliant. AirMap and Aloft also offer such services. Without the new regulations in place, it requires a waiver to operate them beyond VLOS, but when they're promulgated anybody who buys compliant drones, subscribes to a flight management service like Skyward, and gets their operation certified can fly beyond VLOS for delivery, mapping, inspections, or aid to first responders.

Google Wing already has more than 100,000 deliveries with their prototype in Logan Australia and has waivers to operate in a few cities in the US. UPS Flight Forward and ZipLine have been operating drones between fixed landing pads for delivery of medical goods. ZipLine has tens of thousands of deliveries using fixed wings drone.

Altitude Angel has satellite service to extend the range of control and telemetry for 'heavy lift logistics drones' that will operate like big military drones in and out of airports using on-board avionics for communication, navigation, and instrument landings.

Questions like these are answered a lot on Quora, and if you check what I've answered and look at the other answers around mine you'll see that these 'delivery drones', 'logistics drones', and 'passenger drones' are there, waiting for the new rules to be promulgated:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest