DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I Buy a Mavic Pro Platinum or Mavic Air?

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro Platinum or Wait for the DJI Gods...

• Air

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Platinum

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Wait...

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Croftyy

Reactions
Title pretty much explains it all.

Some background information:

I have access to the DJI Student Discount, but I'm also open to buying from another reputable retailer (UK fyi).
I can afford up to the current price of the Mavic Pro Platinum (£899) but not much more.
In terms of what sort of features I need, I'm a general user and I'll pick based on what is the best value for money.

Or, do I wait for whatever new drone DJI pushes out? There were a lot of rumours about the Spark 2 (which is supposedly cancelled) or some other new drone (Mavic Air 2 could be c00l) and I'm very patient...

TIA :)

Reactions: CJH92474
the MPP simply because of the ocusync it is superior in every way to the wifi of the air, i have never had any issues with signal strength or any connection problems with my MPP and even though it is larger it is still very easy to transport around, the smaller size of the air to me ,is only an advantage if you do a lot of air travel

I have access to the DJI Student Discount, but I'm also open to buying from another reputable retailer (UK fyi).
I can afford up to the current price of the Mavic Pro Platinum (£899) but not much more.
In terms of what sort of features I need, I'm a general user and I'll pick based on what is the best value for money.

Or, do I wait for whatever new drone DJI pushes out? There were a lot of rumours about the Spark 2 (which is supposedly cancelled) or some other new drone (Mavic Air 2 could be c00l) and I'm very patient...

MPP this is a no brainer

Reactions: CJH92474
The Air has a few rarely mentioned things going for it, on top of the size obviously:
- SmartCapture works very well for RC/Phone free use, even for tracking up/down with dynamic home point
- no tilted horizon problems
- lets you take 3x3 panos not centered on the horizon (not quite as flexible as the Spark though).

Last edited:
Just to differ. The air does everything a normal user could want at vlos. There is nothing wrong with WiFi if you take an hour to understand how to use it properly (wherever you are in the world). The camera is stunning for the price and it's so small you take it everywhere so use it a lot. It's also great in high winds and is built like a tank...

the mpp is the smart choice and one you will never regret

When I was considering buying a drone, I did my research and did not hesitate to purchase a MPP. I haven’t looked back!

Different people have different ‘wants’ and ‘needs’

The answer for your question is , what do u need or want?

If distance alone is impt for u, i suggest a pro.
If not a air is a great drone to fly and travel.

Was in your shoes a yr back,
Got the air, totally no regrets for me.

Good luck!

I have never owned a MPP. Own a phantom and a spark and a mavic air. The photography is amazing on the air. Also, as mentioned, it is super small, and handles the wind better than any drone ive owned. Gotta say, though, the lack of occusync does hold it back a bit....but then it might not be so small....

I have a mail platinum it's brilliant much quite than most drones. I also have the spark really good as well

The Platinum is just a paint job con . Get a refurbished Mavic pro standard and buy a set of low noise props.
have to disagree with you there,the platinum uses upgraded ESCs which give it better flight time, combined with the low noise props, yes the main components are the same but it is more than just a paint job

Reactions: Clipper707
The minor difference in size between the Air and the Platinum isn't enough to overcome its shorter flight time, shorter range, and louder sound footprint.

The biggest thing for me other than a sound is the fact that Mavic Air is allergic to metal and only has one finicky compass. This can cause all kinds of issues

A friend just recently picked up a used MPP for $1000 CAD (Canadian) and it was the fly more combo - there are some deals to be had - each battery was used once !!!

It is certainly different than my MP in that it starts differently and seems more stable.

Great drone !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest