DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a dedicated device for my Mavic?

GoBigGuy

Reactions
Hi All,

Wanted to see if everyone thinks I need a dedicated device for my Mavic or do you think I'll be fine just using my iPhone 7 Plus? What are the pro's and con's having a dedicated device over just using your daily phone?

Thanks for the feedback!

If you choose a dedicated device, be aware that it can impact the portability of the set up. I chose to get an iPad mini 4 as a dedicated device, since it fits into the pack I use. Now I can use my phone as a phone while flying, if necessary. That also provides me with an Apple and an Android device(my phone) if there is ever an OS issue with one of them. The larger screen is much nicer, too.

I was using an iPad mini as a dedicated device on all my DJI crap, cell phone display too small for me. I've since upgraded to a CS UB

Do I need a device with cell service or will WiFi work?
WIFI will be fine

You'll only need GPS/Cell on your mobile device if you want to be able to reset the home point to your current position after taking off. All other GPS related features use the Spark's internal GPS receive

You'll also need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode.

Hi All,

Wanted to see if everyone thinks I need a dedicated device for my Mavic or do you think I'll be fine just using my iPhone 7 Plus? What are the pro's and con's having a dedicated device over just using your daily phone?

Thanks for the feedback!

Having a dedicated device is a good idea I think, due to the fact the app tends to be vary power hungry and your battery won't last long on your phone.

CrystalSky is nice but very expensive, ipad mini 4 is a cheaper alternative.

Do you NEED a dedicated device for the Mavic? NO. But it's definitely optimal. Your iPhone 7 Plus will work just fine until the day you try using a iPad Mini4 or similar, (or larger), then you'll never go back to using a phone.

If you've already spent $1000+ on the mavic and accessories, I think it's definitely worth it to spend another $200 and get the iPad Mini4 which will make the experience at least 25% more enjoyable.

I think the iPad Mini4 is the favorite/most popular because:
a) the IOS system is much more stable with the mavic
b) it fits perfectly in the RC arms without having to use any type of mounting bracket.
c) it's small enough to have very little affect on the portability of your total mavic setup.
d) they're readily available for a reasonable price, and a proven durable, reliable piece of hardware.

I've used the iPad Mini4 for 9 months now with zero problems. 16GB version, WIFI only. Never have I missed the GPS capability or needed more GB space. You can probably get an iPad Mini4 on Ebay now for around $200 new or $100 refurbished.

I had to use my phone once when I forgot to bring my iPad and it felt like watching a movie on a 13" TV - horrible.

I got the DJI Goggles a few months ago, so now I use them about 75% of the time.

IPad mini is my dedicated device wifi only.
Maps are cached on wifi at home prior to flying.
Can't use follow me with wifi only but I've only found a need for it once. Active track worked ok

You can always "Hot Spot" ur phone an connect to your mini to cache map when your ready to fly.

I dedicated a Nvidia Shield K1 to my Inspire 1V2, another to my P4, and am looking for what I'll use with my MP. I have used the K1 of my P4 and have successfully used my LG V20 Smartphone but have been spoiled with the K1. Most of the data that I need is on my MP Controller when using my LG V20.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7