DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need a UK Commercial Licence ?

Harribo08

Reactions
Hi, I have a Mavic Mini which I use in the UK for recreational use. I would like to donate my photos to two local organisations, firstly my parish council are looking for phots for their calendar. This is then sold with all proceeds to local charities.

Secondly, my wife works for the local tourist office, they need photos to promote tourism, can I donate aerial landscape shots for website and social media promotions.

I will not get any payment but obviously the Parish Council will gain money for charity and the Tourist Industry will indirectly benefit from promotion, but wont directly be selling and photos.

I have a basic operators registration from CAA, but do I need any further licence ?

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, I'm not a PFCO holder (just a hobbyist) but read up quite a lot and have come across this. It all depends on your intentions for taking the photo when you take off. If you take off and take a photo, with the intention of using it just for your personal use, non-gain, that's fine. If you take off with the same intention but some one sees your photo and asks if they can use it (to include financial gain), that's OK. If you take off, with the intention of using the photo for financial gain, you need to be PFCO. Having said that, things are changing in the new year.
I'm sure someone will be along soon with a more definitive answer.

Hi, I have a Mavic Mini which I use in the UK for recreational use. I would like to donate my photos to two local organisations, firstly my parish council are looking for phots for their calendar. This is then sold with all proceeds to local charities.

Secondly, my wife works for the local tourist office, they need photos to promote tourism, can I donate aerial landscape shots for website and social media promotions.

I will not get any payment but obviously the Parish Council will gain money for charity and the Tourist Industry will indirectly benefit from promotion, but wont directly be selling and photos.

I have a basic operators registration from CAA, but do I need any further licence ?

Many thanks

Ian
There will be no distinction between recreational/comercial flight from 1st Jan 2021. It will be risk based, and brings with it a raft of new regs. You will probably need an A2 Cert of Competance. Its pretty straight forwards. I recomend speaking to one of the CAA approved schools for more info. I recomend these fellas: CAA approved online drone license courses Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair