DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a WiFi signal to fly?

I am new to uav flying and wondering about WiFi signal and strength effecting flight? I’m using crystalsky monitor...
If you are asking do you need to be able to get internet data via wifi, no.
You can fly without any connection to the internet at all.

Captain Lou

As Meta4 says you do not need a WiFi signal to the Crystalsky monitor to fly your drone, you do not need any kind of monitor or phone to fly your drone, you only need your RC, but without a monitor you are certainly limited to line of sight ( you are LOS limited anyway ..theoretically ), and of course without a monitor you cant frame your shots.
That said however, unless you have WiFi or 4G the maps in crystalsky will not show up, you will still get your flight path indicated but it wont be overlaid on a map.

But as I do you can if your phone has 4G, use its hotspot and connect your crystalsky to your phone, then you will get maps...

Waylander

Reactions: ff22
Captain Lou

As Meta4 says you do not need a WiFi signal to the Crystalsky monitor to fly your drone, you do not need any kind of monitor or phone to fly your drone, you only need your RC, but without a monitor you are certainly limited to line of sight ( you are LOS limited anyway ..theoretically ), and of course without a monitor you cant frame your shots.
That said however, unless you have WiFi or 4G the maps in crystalsky will not show up, you will still get your flight path indicated but it wont be overlaid on a map.

But as I do you can if your phone has 4G, use its hotspot and connect your crystalsky to your phone, then you will get maps...

Waylander

You can cache maps in advance if you won't have any internet connection in the field. Check the upper right menu in the Go app before you hit the FLY button.

Reactions: mfishhead
You can cache maps in advance if you won't have any internet connection in the field. Check the upper right menu in the Go app before you hit the FLY button.

Hi ff22

I have cached maps at home with a WiFi connection, and then gone out into the field, but for some reason when I select the flight plan the maps do not show up until I connect to the phones 4G, any idea why that happens..?
Waylander

Hi ff22

I have cached maps at home with a WiFi connection, and then gone out into the field, but for some reason when I select the flight plan the maps do not show up until I connect to the phones 4G, any idea why that happens..?
Waylander

I have to admit that I'm too new to this hobby and this aspect to know the answer. I know that it did work since my Tab does not have any cellular connection and there was no wifi where I was flying. The map showed and my position showed. I have to drive about 20 miles to fly since it is not permitted in Seattle - well, except over my home and lot.

Hi ff22

Waylander
This is a common problem I have yet to figure out any reason or consistency to it. Sometimes loading maps offline work, sometimes they dont!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000