DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need an FAA UAS License to fly my Mavic???

Stringfellow-Hawke

Reactions
I registered my Mavic with the FAA... Cost me $25
Now, i'm seeing from various sources that i also need a UAS Pilot License from the FAA to operate the Mavic??

Can anyone shed light on this??

Thanks

The FAA registration only costs $5 if you register directly on the FAA's website here. That's all you need if you're only flying as a hobbyist.

Reactions: ed1nh0
Right -- since you paid a 3rd party to register on your behalf. You should be good to go as long as they sent you an FAA number.

Gosh ok they soaked me!... Now as far as flying.. I live within the 5mile radius of an airport.. Is it better to call the airport tower or use the FAA online form?? I would think calling the airport direct would be quicker??

I've never heard of people filling out a form online. You should call.

Okay... Who exactly should i call? As in what do i ask for when i call the airport??
Do i want the Air Traffic Control Tower direct??

Check out this article for more details on that process.

I have to say that I'm realy dissapointed with the FAA registration process. All I want to do is to be legally registraded as a hobbyst flyer and what I get is tons and tons of spams in my inbox ever since. Mote than 50 in just 3 days...

I have to say that I'm realy dissapointed with the FAA registration process. All I want to do is to be legally registraded as a hobbyst flyer and what I get is tons and tons of spams in my inbox ever since. Mote than 50 in just 3 days...
I have not received any spam from the FAA. Sound like you registered trough another organization and they are sending you the spam.

I've never heard of people filling out a form online. You should call.

Yep - the only online banter Ive even seen is for getting waivers but that is still in process I think. It will be nice once that does come to fruition though both for waiver and authorization.

Reactions: oshucomo
Gosh ok they soaked me!... Now as far as flying.. I live within the 5mile radius of an airport.. Is it better to call the airport tower or use the FAA online form?? I would think calling the airport direct would be quicker??
I fell for that too, last year.. I called them and complained (loudly), and they refunded my money

I recommend calling the tower.. introduce yourself, tell them what's going on, where you'll be, how long, and at what altitude.. if it's a local location, that you may be going to frequently, go for the waiver and just put a long date range.. but it can take weeks to get a response. So I would just use the phone till FAA fixes the response times

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf