DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need an Internet Connection to Fly into or through a Geofenced Area?

cgmaxed

Reactions
I need this question answered once and for all. I get a lot of different answers from people. I noticed when I turn my WIFI off on my phone or tablet that is running DJI Go4 or DJI Fly, I can't get cleared to pass through a DJI geofenced area. I get a message saying I need and internet connection. Some, on this forum, tell me I don't need to be connected to the internet. What do they mean I don't need an internet connection to fly into or through geofenced areas? The app clearly tells me I need to be connected to the internet before it clears that solid blue (geofenced) area to an outlined (un-geofenced) area. If I'm outside the geofenced area, yes, I can take off and don't need an internet connection. But, if I am in the geofenced area or plan on passing through it, I need to be connected to the internet. Right? Otherwise DJI won't allow me to take off within a geofenced area at all or I won't be able to pass through it. Correct?

I live next to a small municipal/private airport. It's in Class G airspace, and does not require LAANC. But DJI, in their infinite wisdom, has geofenced it. I'm not inside of it, but I am very close to its edge. The aforementioned DJI apps won't let me clear the Geofencing without being connected to the internet.

Maybe someone can direct me to a thread relative to this (I couldn't find one) or answer my question here.

Thanks.

It would be helpful to know, specifically, where you and the airport are located to view the relevant maps. But, maybe this generic info will help.

You can submit an unlock request ahead of time at the FlySafe website (Fly Safe - DJI). Once approved, you can import the "unlocking license" into your controller while you are (at home) connected to the internet. If that is successful, you should be good to go without an internet connection once you are on site.

Here is a link to the process for the Fly app (there are similar docs for the other apps).

This pre-authorization has worked for me before when the site had no cellular coverage to provide internet access.

Good luck...

It would be helpful to know, specifically, where you and the airport are located to view the relevant maps. But, maybe this generic info will help.

You can submit an unlock request ahead of time at the FlySafe website (Fly Safe - DJI). Once approved, you can import the "unlocking license" into your controller while you are (at home) connected to the internet. If that is successful, you should be good to go without an internet connection once you are on site.

Here is a link to the process for the Fly app (there are similar docs for the other apps).

This pre-authorization has worked for me before when the site had no cellular coverage to provide internet access.

Good luck...
So, In reality, if DJI has created a GEOFENCE, the internet will be needed at some point to open or clear that area for flight regardless if it needs LAANC or not.

Last edited:
More specifically, if you need to unlock a zone to fly where you wish, you need to submit a request...that will require internet access. This must be done ahead of time if you will not have internet access in the area you will be flying (either because there isn't any coverage or you turn off wifi/cellular).

If you want to post the specific location we can take a closer look at your situation.

More specifically, if you need to unlock a zone to fly where you wish, you need to submit a request...that will require internet access. This must be done ahead of time if you will not have internet access in the area you will be flying (either because there isn't any coverage or you turn off wifi/cellular).

If you want to post the specific location we can take a closer look at your situation.
I live in the area labelled Old Marco Junction. You can see how close it is to DJI's Geofencing of Marco Island Executive Airport. LAANC isn't required. It's also G4 airspace. As you can see, If I desire to go east, I hit the Geofence pretty quickly. If I don't use the internet, I'm not going to fly very far east. North east is a little problematic as well. I don't go south, because that's where the airport is. I hesitate to say it, but I'm not so diligent with VLOS, but I do stay at a low altitude, due to the increased air traffic near me. I have to keep a high level of situational awareness ie stay on guard all the time. Anyway, I run into DJI's GEO fence all the time when going east, north east. So each day, to avoid hitting the "invisible wall" , I reset my GEO fence clearance through WIFI. When I don't use wifi, I'm stuck having to fly west, north west. As I said, I won't go south, as I'm close enough to the airport as it is. I always fly away from it.

Attachments

• DJI FLY SAFE Marco Island Exec Airport Geo Fence in Class G.JPG
    DJI FLY SAFE Marco Island Exec Airport Geo Fence in Class G.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
You need internet to submit and receive the clearance. Once received and installed on your drone, you no longer need to be connected.

I live in the area labelled Old Marco Junction. You can see how close it is to DJI's Geofencing of Marco Island Executive Airport. LAANC isn't required. It's also G4 airspace. As you can see, If I desire to go east, I hit the Geofence pretty quickly. If I don't use the internet, I'm not going to fly very far east. North east is a little problematic as well. I don't go south, because that's where the airport is. I hesitate to say it, but I'm not so diligent with VLOS, but I do stay at a low altitude, due to the increased air traffic near me. I have to keep a high level of situational awareness ie stay on guard all the time. Anyway, I run into DJI's GEO fence all the time when going east, north east. So each day, to avoid hitting the "invisible wall" , I reset my GEO fence clearance through WIFI. When I don't use wifi, I'm stuck having to fly west, north west. As I said, I won't go south, as I'm close enough to the airport as it is. I always fly away from it.
Unfortunately, unless you unlock via the internet you are stuck between a rock and a Geospace.

Reactions: cgmaxed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf