Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Do I need more ND's?

jowlymonster

Reaction score
So, the flymore combo comes with 3 ND filters... I understand why we want them- to keep our shutter speed at that nice "cinematic" value (1/50 in my case as I will probably shoot 1/25s) - but the filters supplied are quite high values (16/64/256 or something, not looked in the box) - are ones that dark useful? I only have one flight under my belt so far and didn't try the filters, but should I be considering getting ND4/ND8 as well? When is a 256 useful, genuine long exposures of waterfalls and stuff?

UliK

Reaction score
I find myself switching between the ND 16 and ND 8 (which was included in the additional filter set). In our German summer I come out at 1/50 at 25fps more or less (@iso 100). I've used the ND 4 once at a day before the rain started. The dark ones might be good for time-lapse use to get good motion blur on moving things in the stills. I haven't tried that so far.

itsneedtokno

Reaction score
I use the ND16 from the FMC

Recording 4k60... 1/120... ISO100

it's perfect.

(Sunny Florida)

YMMV

Reactions: Parrotoid

jowlymonster

Reaction score
Think I need to do some testing with one of the filters fitted, in different lighting conditions- the change needed to the shutter speed to get the right exposure should lead me to which ND i'd find useful I guess.

Reactions: itsneedtokno

itsneedtokno

Reaction score
Think I need to do some testing with one of the filters fitted, in different lighting conditions- the change needed to the shutter speed to get the right exposure should lead me to which ND i'd find useful I guess.
That's literally the only way to figure out which ones will work in your setting.

Doubt you will ever go over 64 though

Reactions: jowlymonster

Max L

Reaction score
Ive found the 16 to be plenty at noon on a bright sunny day here in SE Texas. Couldn't imagine needing the 64 and certainly not the 256 unless trying to do long exposure shots. I think a 4 and 8 are necessary for 90% of video situations if you are shooting under the golden rule (double shutter speed to frames) and refuse to raise iso over 100 like me😁. I will be getting some SOON.