DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need OTG Cable on Mavic Platinum and Mavic Zoom?

Old Man Grizz

Reactions
Howdy Folks!
Just a quick question. I’ve been flying my Platinum for over a year.(LOVE IT). I use an OTG to connect to my IPad Mini, always have. I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom and I obviously need to get a longer cable to connect my IPad. The cables that came with it don’t appear to be OTG, which leads to my question, do I need an OTG to connect to my IPad?
I’ve used the one from my Platinum to fly but I’m just wondering.....
It’s finally snowing in Michigan, so maybe I’m just bored! ?
Thanks for your time!
Old Man Grizz

Howdy Folks!
Just a quick question. I’ve been flying my Platinum for over a year.(LOVE IT). I use an OTG to connect to my IPad Mini, always have. I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom and I obviously need to get a longer cable to connect my IPad. The cables that came with it don’t appear to be OTG, which leads to my question, do I need an OTG to connect to my IPad?
Thanks for your time!
Old Man Grizz
I'm not savvy on acronyms... What is "OTG"?

Off topic... where you at in Michigan? I'm in Honor, 30 miles west of Traverse City. All Class G where I'm at in the boonies! Lots of snow up here in the last 24 hours!

Howdy Folks!
Thanks for your time!
Old Man Grizz
No. Any regular USB-A cord will work.

Thanks Folks!
An OTG is a one way cable. It only allows information to travel in one direction.
I kinda’ learned about them on the Spark Forum when I first started flying.
I’m down near Holland..snowing nicely now!?
We will be headed up by Traverse City next weekend to ride snowmobiles....
Thanks again for your responses.....
You Folks are always The Best!
Old Man Grizz

A USB OTG cable is not one way, it's generally used for USB devices that are normally slaves to function as a master so with a smartphone you can use a USB OTG cable in the micro USB port to connect a USB flash drive, keyboard etc. but when connected via a standard USB cable to a PC, the phone becomes a slave device.

I'm not understanding how you're using a USB OTG cable with the Platinum since the only place it could fit is on the side of the controller but there's a full size USB connector underneath the controller which will work with a standard Lightning to USB-A cable as mentioned above which is how I'd connect an iPad to the controller.

John

Reactions: brett8883
John,
Thanks for your reply. That’s kind of what I was saying...(I’m not an electronics guy by any means!)
The OTG plugs into the controller, then another short cable goes from that to the IPad. I learned about it through lots of YouTube videos about connecting my Spark Controller to my IPad instead of just depending on a WiFi Connection.
I’m happy to hear that any standard cable works fine, and my OTG is not needed.
Thanks again Folks!
Old Man Grizz

Hey Folks!
Good Morning from Snowy Michigan!
Sorry to bother you again, but I have another (probably stupid!) Question:
Does it matter which outlet,( I have always used the side one) on the controller you use to connect your tablet on Mavic Platinum or Zoom?
Just wondering why there are two...
Thanks for your time!
You Folks ROCK!!!
Old Man Grizz

You're more than welcome to ask here :)

For the Mavic 1 Pro/Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom (I'm not familiar with the other models) I would use the full size USB port on the underside of the controller with your iPad, just make sure there's nothing in the side port. The side connector is more useful for phones since you can have a small cable running from it to the port on the phone but it's a more fragile connector so the preference is to use the other USB connector.

I use a Samsung tablet with a standard USB cable connecting underneath the controller although I've been thinking of getting a cable with a right angle connector since the cable has to curve round when in use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242