DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need to register a Mavic mini for real estate photography? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
TruGreen is correct and though you don’t have to register to fly as a hobbyist with a Mavic mini you would have to have the part 107
and each drone you fly would have to have it’s own set of #’s.

if your pics or videos are to be used for profit, yes you need to register as commercial drone, and get the part 107 certification
Thanks for your answer... and another question... once i have license... when shooting a video for example of a condo, do i need to do any kind of paperwork or anything... i mean, if i shoot a video all arround a condo, or pool? i live in miami fl

Welcome to the forum.
TruGreen is correct and though you don’t have to register to fly as a hobbyist with a Mavic mini you would have to have the part 107
and each drone you fly would have to have it’s own set of #’s.
Thanks for your answer... and another question... once i have license... when shooting a video for example of a condo, do i need to do any kind of paperwork or anything... i mean, if i shoot a video all arround a condo, or pool? i live in miami fl

No you don’t have to do any additional paperwork.
Technically it’s a certificate not a license.

I am sure there is a "Facebook" group that I would be joining to find out more info.

We have one in Michigan so I am sure there is one in your area.

Welcome to the forum @wallyhenderson

As stated YES you'll need Commercial Registration for any aircraft that is operated outside of Hobby rules. You'll need to go to FAADroneZone and create an account. Once that's done go to the Commercial side of the portal and register the MM but you'll need to wait until you have the unit in hand because it asks for the Serial # of the aircraft.

Shooting around a pool can be an issue if there are people using the pool as you are not allowed to fly over people without a signed release.

Bear in mind there is a very high fine for doing things outside the FAA regs., so be sure you do things legally because someone might just report you and that could be very expensive for you.

Shooting around a pool can be an issue if there are people using the pool as you are not allowed to fly over people without a signed release.
You aren't allowed to fly over people regardless of if you have a release or not. There's no exception in the rules for flying over someone with permission. (Only for flying over a necessary crew member)

You aren't allowed to fly over people regardless of if you have a release or not. There's no exception in the rules for flying over someone with permission. (Only for flying over a necessary crew member)
I think will call a third party when someone ask for drone pics... too much rules and not my business... though it would be fun but too much rules... thanks friend!

Somewhat correct as they did away with the verbal or signed consent with the 333. But on cases like commercial (As in TV ad) or movie shoots this is still in effect. I have seen a few of these shoots and they are indeed waived to allow flight directly over the "Fake" people (Extras & Actors) in city shots for example. They do quadrant off the block for main public and it is a super pain to get permissions, but they do exist.

The FAA has a provision for commercial drone pilots who wish to fly under otherwise restricted conditions. Through the FAA DroneZone website, any licensed drone can request for a waiver by providing the details of the planned operations, the risks they are anticipating, and the mitigating measures that they plan to put in place.

The restriction against drone flight over people is one of the provisions for which the FAA can grant waivers. Before 2019, only 21 such waivers have been granted by the FAA. Since then, that number has grown to 97, which exhibits a change in the attitude of the FAA towards this particular restriction. It’s still worth noting that most of these 97 waivers were corporations and organizations, such as media outlets and construction companies.

Although conditions may differ across the different approved waivers, we can say that the chances of getting a waiver for flight over people approved have vastly improved in 2020. New safety products, more technologically advanced drones, and the excellent results of the previously approved waivers have greatly contributed to this more accepting regulatory environment.

Last edited:
Somewhat correct as they did away with the verbal or signed consent with the 333. But on cases like commercial (As in TV ad) or movie shoots this is still in effect. I have seen a few of these shoots and they are indeed waived to allow flight directly over the "Fake" people (Extras & Actors) in city shots for example. They do quadrant off the block for main public and it is a super pain to get permissions, but they do exist.

The FAA has a provision for commercial drone pilots who wish to fly under otherwise restricted conditions. Through the FAA DroneZone website, any licensed drone an request for a waiver by providing the details of the planned operations, the risks they are anticipating, and the mitigating measures that they plan to put in place.

The restriction against drone flight over people is one of the provisions for which the FAA can grant waivers. Before 2019, only 21 such waivers have been granted by the FAA. Since then, that number has grown to 97, which exhibits a change in the attitude of the FAA towards this particular restriction. It’s still worth noting that most of these 97 waivers were corporations and organizations, such as media outlets and construction companies.
97 waivers is still a drop in the bucket. Compared to some of the other available waivers (such as daylight operation, which is not difficult to be approved for), its still fairly rare to get the FAA to agree to issue this one.

97 waivers is still a drop in the bucket. Compared to some of the other available waivers (such as daylight operation, which is not difficult to be approved for), its still fairly rare to get the FAA to agree to issue this one.
I think you meant night waiver? :p

I think will call a third party when someone ask for drone pics... too much rules and not my business... though it would be fun but too much rules... thanks friend!
It will probably actually save you money to do that. There’s a ton of 107 Pilots Who will jump at the chance.
Check out droners.io.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929