DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need to unfold the arms when copying data?

Jotne

Reactions
Sometimes I just want to make a quick copy of the photo/video on the SD cards.
Since it some hassle to take it out, I just open the back slot and use the usb-c cable.
But to read the card, I do need to turn on the drone.
Do I really need to unfold it? Can it be hurt in some way?
I remove the camera protector.

Last edited:
I rarely unfold the drone if I only need to access it. When the Air powers on, you do see the motors jiggle a bit, but as far as I know there's no downside to having them folded. I do hold up the drone though while it does that as I am not sure if it causes any damage if you block the motors. But once it's done, you can easily put it on the table folded. Like you mentioned yourself, it is only important to remove the gimbal clamp.
Also, be careful about any other stuff laying on the table, since the gimbal is closer to the bottom without the legs unfolded.

Reactions: Jotne
You could even use your mavic folded as a handheld stabilised camera. At least the Pro but I'm sure the Air allows that too. I always would remove the props (and gimbal clamp) before powering it on inside or folded.

You could even use your mavic folded as a handheld stabilised camera. At least the Pro but I'm sure the Air allows that too. I always would remove the props (and gimbal clamp) before powering it on inside or folded.
Good one! Actually done that on occasion, and works quite well. In that case I'd indeed remove the props, should I accidentally initiate a launch.

Reactions: jesswin
Just make sure you take the lense protector off & be sure the gimbal has enough clearance below it so that it doesn’t jam when it does the start-up checks.

Last edited:
I really wish it had a data transfer/ firmware update mode. It takes so much battery when it would not have too. Maybe it kicks into
this mode when the usb C cable is connected then it is turned on.

Reactions: Kris.
I really wish it had a data transfer/ firmware update mode. It takes so much battery when it would not have too. Maybe it kicks into
this mode when the usb C cable is connected then it is turned on.
Unfortunately not. Not as far as shutting down the cooling and such is concerned. Which is a shame as I think everyone with an Air agrees that would be better. It is odd that just to access the internal memory, the entire device needs to be running.

At least it doesn't constantly beep like the Phantom 3 Standard does. I once had that one connected for more than an hour to download the logs, being constantly tormented by a "BEEEEEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP" until everything was done and the drone could be shut off again.

I really wish it had a data transfer/ firmware update mode.

yeah, something that is needed. I won't power up any battery aircraft inside with the props on for safety, so it means unfolding, remove props, remove gimbal lock, and full power up just for what should be a simple task.

yeah, something that is needed. I won't power up any battery aircraft inside with the props on for safety, so it means unfolding, remove props, remove gimbal lock, and full power up just for what should be a simple task.

And that’s exactly why some of us complain about the Mavic software & firmware - it’s oddly rough around the edges, like it was an afterthought or left to the B-team. Which is odd when DJI makes fine aircraft.

Yeah, an amazing effort to protect the USB & Micro SD card connectivity. You could fly this sucker into a wall backward and those connections will be unharmed, lol. Unfortunately, they are protected from humans too.

Personally, I hate having to turn the drone on, remove the gimble cover and use battery life... just to get files off the SD card. So, I perform the surgery required to remove the card every single time.

I've never had any issues removing the card?I watched a load of video's with people struggling etc before I bought mine, but it's just not an issue.

Press it to mount, press it again to un-mount, no pulling/prodding/tweezers etc, just never had any issues?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair