DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I really have to register my drone with the FAA?

Sytek

Reactions
so I bought the mavic few days ago and the salesrap mentioned something about getting my drone registered with the faa website. I was about to do that until I noticed they gonna charge me 15$ fee. So I looked online and I came acros a courthouse verdict that says the faa don't have the authority to force drone users to register the drone. So my question is do I really have to register my quadcopter or not?

Currently, hobbyists do not have to register in the US. See more details here and here.

Reactions: Rbruz
I thought I saw something about the FAA being forced to refund people who'd registered.

I thought I saw something about the FAA being forced to refund people who'd registered.
You can find more details about that here.

Are there any advantages of registering anyway even though it isn't technically required right now of hobbyists?

Some people say they found saying they are an FAA registered pilot helps with people asking questions, that seems to be it.
Of course around here saying that will get you bothered by the "Don't call youself a pilot" police.

Reactions: L.L.
You also can fly above 400ft, if your not nearby any airports

Registering has nothing to do with that.

For hobbyists, FAA can't regulate model aircraft, therefore they can't dictate a 400ft limit. They do recommend it as a guideline. Of course, there are rules to follow to even be considered a model aircraft, mainly LOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov