DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not order from DJI store if you are in Thailand

watboy

Reactions
I pre-ordered the very next morning after the announcement direct from DJI. Their website says the price includes all VAT or customs charges, so I had it delivered to my office in Thailand. I have done a mix of ordering from them direct or buying form a local distributor (Phantom 2, Osmo, Inspire 1).

Anyways, it arrived in Thailand last week and its been a nightmare.
1. DHL wanted to charge me VAT and custom's clearance. It took several days before DJI cleared that up
2. Customs then demanded to see an importer's license, which they never done before
3. DHL then opened up the packaged and informed the Thai Civil Aviation Authorities. In Thailand, you need CAA license for drones over 2kg, DHL informed the CAA the shipping weight not the drone weight. So now my drone is impounded. Been going through an mountain of bureaucratic red tape and paper work. Basically, I'm doing all the paper work to get an importer's license and CAA license in order to prove that i do not need an importer's license or CAA license.

all of this would have been avoided if DHL just delivered the goods instead of stopping to collect vat, which was already paid by DJI. Also, things are different under the current military rule. Anyways, wait for the local distributor to have it in stock and buy it from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim
Thanks for the info! That really bad experience is!
I was thinking about ordering from off site, but finaly decided to pay extra 2k THB and order from local reseller. Still waiting though.

Update:

Mavic still impounded, and yet the situation has gotten worse. DJI sent me the extra batteries I ordered this week. As it is sent separately from the device that uses it, I need a special battery importers license. Also, DJI support has ceased responding to my inquiries for updates or assistance. My last question to them is whether or not I can get a refund... they've gone silent.

These are how things are in Thailand... I wouldn't be half as upset if I didn't pay full price almost two months ago!

Anyways, NEVER EVER EVER EVER order from DJI.com if you are in Thailand, and I suspect in many of the other countries they claim to ship to.

Edited for tone...

Bro, it's not DJI problem I guess but problem of THAI customs, blame them. Can you ask them to send the Mavic back to DJI so they got the device back and you get the money?
Next time try to use some special service to avoid extra customs headaches like shopandshipus .com

I'm not blaming DJI for Thai customs. However, they still are have some responsibility on this. From their own website

"Customs fees and VAT are already included in the product price when purchasing products from our online store. However, you may be asked to pay a charge by local shipping agents. If you encounter this situation, we strongly advise you not to pay them, and contact our online sales support at [email protected].Dedicated staff will be available to help you."

I am incurring charges now getting it though customs. DHL wanted to charge me, and DJI did help then, but further chargers they've gone silent on me.

"If an order is returned to us due to inaccurate or incorrect address information or because it was declined or undeliverable, DJI reserves the right to retain the original shipping/handling fee and to deduct certain amount in the refund for costs incurred related to the return of the undeliverable packages or merchandise."

The drone it looks like I can clear, but the batteries it looks like I may not be able to clear through. I've already inquired to them about getting a refund less these costs, but again DJI has gone silent. You can import the battery if it comes with the device using it. Importing batteries on it own requires its own importer's license, not sure I can get that one. Also, its possible for sellers to get their own importer's license so customers don't have to deal with this. If you order an Apple product for example, Apple clears import it for you. I inferred that DJI did the same when it said they would take care of all VAT and customs charges, but clearly I was wrong.

Lastly, DJI lists Thailand as one of the countries they ship to. They at least have an ethical obligation to assist in completing the transaction. Again, I'm not blaming them for customs, I'm saying DJI has essentially abandoned me. I have a number of resources available to me, but I imagine the average person would be screwed in this situation. I do think DJI should be doing more, I think DJI can become a great company... but its still buyer beware.

Why would DJI refund you anything? They'll likely never see the merchandise back since it will be held by YOUR customs/country.

Why should I take the all the loss? The transaction has not been completed, I haven't received the goods either. Look, I do contract law for a living. This would be neither DJI nor my fault. If DJI doesn't want to take any responsibility, then they should let buyers know that once they have your money and have shipped the goods, all the risk is on the buyer. I do not think that is good business for DJI's goals. So anyone reading this, DJI's online store is entirely buyer beware. At the very minimum, decency would have them put disclaimers on sales to certain countries that the buyer is responsible for importation. Its not on their webpage, so i'm letting people know here. At some point the fanboi defense needs to give way to higher customer service and disclosure standards.

Why should I take the all the loss? The transaction has not been completed, I haven't received the goods either. Look, I do contract law for a living. This would be neither DJI nor my fault. If DJI doesn't want to take any responsibility, then they should let buyers know that once they have your money and have shipped the goods, all the risk is on the buyer. I do not think that is good business for DJI's goals. So anyone reading this, DJI's online store is entirely buyer beware. At the very minimum, decency would have them put disclaimers on sales to certain countries that the buyer is responsible for importation. Its not on their webpage, so i'm letting people know here. At some point the fanboi defense needs to give way to higher customer service and disclosure standards.

Buddy the guy in Thai Customs is probably flying your drone outside somewhere .. they are just giving you an excuse to cover it up.. they must be also excited about the Mavic pro and finally got a chance to use one !!! Dont you have any connections in customs ? You probably going to have to use it.. DJI probably wont do anything in this instance. Yes DHL sucks big time, I have been burned by them in the past.. parcels lost, items stolen from parcel delivered open..

Why would DJI refund you anything? They'll likely never see the merchandise back since it will be held by YOUR customs/country.
I agree with u bro, hope things work out. Good luck!

Got my batteries through today and received my Civil Aviation clearance. However, the CAA sending me the letter via post, which I then need to take to customs to get my drone. Knowing my luck, the Thai post will lose that letter...

Got my batteries through today and received my Civil Aviation clearance. However, the CAA sending me the letter via post, which I then need to take to customs to get my drone. Knowing my luck, the Thai post will lose that letter...
Hang in there buddy.. you will get your mavic soon..and before long this would all be a forgotten dream..

Final update...

It took me a friggin week to get the CAA letter from Thai Post and the package finally cleared customs today. Hopefully I'll get it before the end of the week. I sent a few unhappy emails to DJI, they never responded. The good news, DJI finally understood the situation and stopped shipping to Thailand as they don't have an importers license. They still ship other drones, maybe they have a license for that.

Last edited:

It's kind of your problem and not DJIs. As you stated yourself, the lesson is buy retail. This online buying is not what it is all cracked up to be. There are risks. You took the risk because you could not wait.

Final update...

It took me a friggin week to get the CAA letter from Thai Post and the package finally cleared customs today. Hopefully I'll get it before the end of the week. I sent a few unhappy emails to DJI, they never responded. The good news, DJI finally understood the situation and stopped shipping to Thailand as they don't have an importers license. They still ship other drones, maybe they have a license for that.

Sadly, I don't think you will ever see the Mavic. Some customs agent has taken it as a Christmas present. The lesson for you is don't buy expensive items online when you live under corrupt military rule. Wait for the local retailer to get it. Why couldn't you wait?

Received Mavic today, DHL was extra nice and picked up the CAA letter this morning, cleared customs and brought direct to my office. I've been in Thailand for a decade now, so I know how to import stuff. I the main issue is that DJI did not have an importers license for the Mavic. I've ordered plenty of items before online, anyone who operates a Thai webstore and says prices include vat, always have a VAT number and up until now, an importer's license for their goods. Again, every other company that operates a Thai webstore (such as DJI) get your importer's license!

As for timing, every xmas I go some place special for my annual dive trip (Maldives, Palau, Papua New Guinea...) and a drone is part of my packing list. I tire of lugging my inspire 1 around.

Again, every other company that operates a Thai webstore (such as DJI) get your importer's license!
But that's the point, DJI doesn't operate a "Thai (or any other country) webstore", they have one webstore in China that they personalize for different destinations but it's still the Chinese company you're dealing directly with and not a local subsidiary, and the importer is thus you.

Glad you finally got your toy :)

Received Mavic today, DHL was extra nice and picked up the CAA letter .

Can you tell me more about the CAA letter? How do I get one and what was involved in getting the letter?

I ordered on Oct 14, Called DJI with zero luck. Got them on Chat and asked if I could have them change my shipping address to my USA address and they said they could not. Bit the bullet and just bought 1 for the price of 2 on eBay. Leaving my order to sit in the que for possible delivery. Maybe I can sell it once it arrives in Thailand to make up for some of my loss.

:cool:

Can you tell me more about the CAA letter? How do I get one and what was involved in getting the letter?

I ordered on Oct 14, Called DJI with zero luck. Got them on Chat and asked if I could have them change my shipping address to my USA address and they said they could not. Bit the bullet and just bought 1 for the price of 2 on eBay. Leaving my order to sit in the que for possible delivery. Maybe I can sell it once it arrives in Thailand to make up for some of my loss.

:cool:

I have no idea if your making this up or telling the truth? How did you get "2 for the price of 1 on ebay" that seems like a scam to me. Also what do you mean ship to your USA address? Are you in USA or in Thailand?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S