DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do Sea Gulls really hate drones ?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Recently I posted a video of a sea gull who calculated an attack on my drone but faked the actual attack of his claw grab as he purposely missed me.
This really had me gun shy around these birds.

But than this Happened : 100 miles away from my last encounter.

Me on the grass alone with the Mavic 2 and the LunarPad and than a single Sea Gull appeared.
A surprise meeting of the with the Seagull confederation to discuss my Mavic 2
A fly by to let them know Im ready to fly, and they are welcome to follow me out
Flying side by side with my friends out over the sea.

Sea Gulls had no attack plan on land or over the water even after an hour of flying back and fourth on the runway.

Sea Gulls show up while on the Jet Ski, Remember the Orca movie yeah it had the vibe.

Sea Gulls follow us out to sea ... will post the entire 40 min video on my website no matter how far I went out to sea the gulls covered it.,

Unfortunately I am left with more questions than answers but my fear of these Orca Like birds has faded for now .

My gut does tells me after this strange encounter that when Sea Gulls are hungry they see the drone as competition for food and nothing more and want to scare us away ,
and if they are well fed, they dont harbor any hate for our drones ...

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

Last edited:
Seagulls in the US are actually trained by the NSA and CIA to attack drones to prohibed the public acces to information. Didn't you know that

( Mod Removed Political Statement )

Last edited by a moderator:
Seagulls in the US are actually trained by the NSA and CIA to attack drones to prohibed the public acces to information. Didn't you know that

(Source: Tronald Dump Nake Fews)
You would say that - to deflect attention from the actual Kremlin based control.
It was on twitter, don't deny it.

You would say that - to deflect attention from the actual Kremlin based control.
It was on twitter, don't deny it.
Shht, you are not supposed to share classified information on twitter ( Mod Removed Political Statement)

But serious (to stay on topic) nice video :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The biggest problem you may have with sea gulls is when they are in numbers on the ground and you fly low between them and the sun. The drone shadow might create a similar effect to that they are used to when a bird of prey is above. Whatever the reason they all fly up in concert and scatter. It’s good luck if you miss them. I have experienced this enough times now that I try to avoid it.

Maybe so?
Seagulls were Trained to Defecate on German U-Boat Periscopes:
Admiral Sir Frederick Inglefield conceived of the idea of training seagulls to defecate on U-Boat periscopes, thus rendering the subs unable to see without rising to the surface, where they could be more easily spotted and attacked.

Recently I posted a video of a sea gull who calculated an attack on my drone but faked the actual attack of his claw grab as he purposely missed me.
This really had me gun shy around these birds.

But than this Happened : 100 miles away from my last encounter.

Me on the grass alone with the Mavic 2 and the LunarPad and than a single Sea Gull appeared.
A surprise meeting of the with the Seagull confederation to discuss my Mavic 2
A fly by to let them know Im ready to fly, and they are welcome to follow me out
Flying side by side with my friends out over the sea.

Sea Gulls had no attack plan on land or over the water even after an hour of flying back and fourth on the runway.

Sea Gulls show up while on the Jet Ski, Remember the Orca movie yeah it had the vibe.

Sea Gulls follow us out to sea ... will post the entire 40 min video on my website no matter how far I went out to sea the gulls covered it.,

Unfortunately I am left with more questions than answers but my fear of these Orca Like birds has faded for now .

My gut does tells me after this strange encounter that when Sea Gulls are hungry they see the drone as competition for food and nothing more and want to scare us away ,
and if they are well fed, they dont harbor any hate for our drones ...

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

hi Coal the seagulls in your part of the world must be anatomically different to the ones here in the UK,they do not have claws to grab anything they use their beaks for this purpose if you look carefully you will see they have webbed feet

Reactions: Classic flyer
hi Coal the seagulls in your part of the world must be anatomically different to the ones here in the UK,they do not have claws to grab anything they use their beaks for this purpose if you look carefully you will see they have webbed feet

lol , yep i saw those web feet coming at me in my last encounter to claw my eyes out or just hitch a ride on my drone. We know they have web feet but maybe the sea gull dont. ;)

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 5.16.07 PM.png

Never had problems with seagulls but have been attacked by Osprey nesting on boats or the lighthouse.

I had a encounter with a seagull in Denmark. It was really try to attack my drone. Quickly landing the drone was the only solution. Later on in Norway the same pro lem a seagull tried to attack the drone so next time I fly at sea or near the sea I will be carefully when there are seagulls.

I had issue with bard swallows during “nesting” season. They would swarm the drone, 20 in less than a minute and one of them (their fearless leader) would often make contact with it. Made flying in June impossible.

It seems as if all birds dislike drones. I have seen swifts circle my drone almost like they’re sizing it up.

I can say for a fact that I encountered a bully seagull. It was perched on a beach house about 300 ft away and every time I got over 6ft. off the ground it would fly over and narrowly miss the drone. After 5 attempts, I gave up.

No problems with seagulls in South Korea. Sometimes it happend they made fake attacks to the drone but then I tried to follow the attacking birds and they quit soon after. But this is really rare. Mostly they ignore the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s