DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do the smaller drones get attacked by birds more then the phantom series?

WV. Rootman

Reactions
From flying a Phantom drones for 7 years, I have a good idea of the frequencies of bird attacks. Having just gotten a mini 3 pro, I was wondering about birds attacking it since it is much smaller. I may put some reflective tape on it since it scares away birds.

Reactions: Torque
From flying a Phantom drones for 7 years, I have a good idea of the frequencies of bird attacks. Having just gotten a mini 3 pro, I was wondering about birds attacking it since it is much smaller. I may put some reflective tape on it since it scares away birds.
Correcting your title "get sttacked by birds"

I have never had a problem myself with any of my drones which range from the I2 down to the Air 2s. I had the original Mavic Air 1 (think that was what it was called) and never had a problem with it being attacked either. Maybe I have just been fortunate.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
My drone attacks was mostly by the sea. I found out by attacking back they scattered. Where I live now I have lots of hawks. I see them sitting in the trees from my back porch.

Reactions: GFields
@WV. Rootman just be aware that if the reflective tape you mention has a foil substance imbedded in it then it can impact on satellite acquisition if it is placed over the GPS receiver such as on the top of the drone,and it may also impact on the magnetic compass within the drone

Last edited:
From what I've seen here and my own flying experience, most "attacks" are simply close encounters without contact.

There are a few situations where contact occurred, but it's not a problem that warrants much concern.

I do restrict flights when hawks or eagles are sighted, but I've had several instances where hawks flew within 50 yards of the drone without paying any attention to it.

I did a little reading on reflective tape and other measures proposed as bird deterrents. The only thing I could find with any scientific basis was a study that showed some positive benefit from simulated eyes, but even that didn't suggest any significant value.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Geese, pigeons, magpies, hawks or eagles will take your drone down no matter if it's a Mavic or a Phantom... either due to that you by accident scares a flock of birds up or that they are territorial & see your drone as a threat, any kind of color, reflective surface or "angry eye" sticker will not change that.

The only thing that will make any difference is if you don't fly in their airspace... & if you get surprised by them, ascend quickly & then steer off to get away... then fly home & land.

From what I've seen here and my own flying experience, most "attacks" are simply close encounters without contact.

There are a few situations where contact occurred, but it's not a problem that warrants much concern.

I do restrict flights when hawks or eagles are sighted, but I've had several instances where hawks flew within 50 yards of the drone without paying any attention to it.

I did a little reading on reflective tape and other measures proposed as bird deterrents. The only thing I could find with any scientific basis was a study that showed some positive benefit from simulated eyes, but even that didn't suggest any significant value.
All the years I put pie tins in the garden. Lol.
Well, the tape might show it's not another bird. I've had osprey really fly close to me. As soon as I veered toward them a little they took off. It might just be curiosity.

Geese, pigeons, magpies, hawks or eagles will take your drone down no matter if it's a Mavic or a Phantom... either due to that you by accident scares a flock of birds up or that they are territorial & see your drone as a threat, any kind of color, reflective surface or "angry eye" sticker will not change that.

The only thing that will make any difference is if you don't fly in their airspace... & if you get surprised by them, ascend quickly & then steer off to get away... then fly home & land.
That was my concern as I have all these hawks sitting in the trees around my house.

That was my concern as I have all these hawks sitting in the trees around my house.
Then I would find another place to fly... that will hugely decrease the possibility to lose a drone to a hawk ;)

No issues for me so far and I do fly with buzzards...sort of. They leave when my drone enters their domain.

No issues for me so far and I do fly with buzzards...sort of. They leave when my drone enters their domain.
Buzzsrds are a shy bird. I can't get close to any. There is a bird rehabilitation center less then a mile from my place. I know the people and they have a few there.

Then I would find another place to fly... that will hugely decrease the possibility to lose a drone to a hawk ;)
No, That scenario is indicative of all of West Virginia. I love watching them catch the mice in the snow in my field.

I've had some close encounters but the birds have always backed off. I assume that the drone noise startles a bird when it gets close enough

crows are the most aggressive

Birds do seem to fly nearby. I've got footage where they were just passing by.

There was one time where some were flying together. I just hovered around and followed them (yawed around) as they were flying around me/my drone. Nice way to catch them.

I've had some close encounters but the birds have always backed off. I assume that the drone noise startles a bird when it gets close enough

Or that they have no reason to attack.

If they can't feed on it or breed with it and they're not concerned with another bird feeding on it or breeding with it, there's no motivation other than curiosity.

My poor old Mini 2 was nearly dumped in the Irish Sea due to a territorial bird attack, same thing happened with my Mavic Air back in the day. I thought the bloody noise of that drone would have scared them away, but no such luck 🤣

@WV. Rootman just be aware that if the reflective tape you mention has a foil substance imbedded in it then it can impact on satellite acquisition if it is placed over the GPS receiver such as on the top of the drone,and it may also impact on the magnetic compass within the drone

This could be very true OMM, and why I used to see holographic wraps on most of the drone wrap / skin sites years ago, but no more for at least a year now.

This is the type of tape I have seen some use on their drones in strips . . .

Bird Scare Repellent Tape: Holographic 45 metres x 5cm

It is described here as a 'foil', not sure what type of metal (if any) is used, but there are many metals in foils that could be used that are non magnetic (I think).

It would be good to confirm that these foils could cause magnetic issues with compass function, or prevent / interfere with GPS function in drones.

Perhaps anyone using these tapes on their drones could provide some feedback sometime when reading this thread, it'd be really good to know.

From my experience with birds, I've never had too many issies with them with my M1P (original Mavic Pro) or my Spark drones.
One time a Peregrine Falcon was having a really good go at the M1P, as soon as I saw it I went sports mode, ascended 50m above it fast, then flew back to my home point and landed with no issues.
It was visible below circling, unable to fly up as fast and then lost interest or I was out of it's nesting zone.

Reactions: old man mavic
I've only ever had one close call, and that was with my P3P, flying low and in the trees surveying the spring runoff and flooding on my sisters acreage. I got too close to a nesting pair of something, they came outta nowhere and headed straight for me. As said by others the only escape is straight up and then get away. Other than that, other birds in the general area typically just ignore me or leave.

Where I live now I have lots of hawks. I see them sitting in the trees from my back porch.

They are probably more interested with the rodents on the ground then the drone in the air.

This is not my photo, but I enjoy sharing it from a Spark Pilot that captured it with video and made a composite picture years ago.

Composite_Image_v1_1920x1280_Signed.jpg

Note the 3 axis gimbal of the bird as it's eyes are locked on to the Spark no matter the angle.

Just cruisin' in the air checking it out. :)

This could be very true OMM, and why I used to see holographic wraps on most of the drone wrap / skin sites years ago, but no more for at least a year now.

This is the type of tape I have seen some use on their drones in strips . . .

Bird Scare Repellent Tape: Holographic 45 metres x 5cm

It is described here as a 'foil', not sure what type of metal (if any) is used, but there are many metals in foils that could be used that are non magnetic (I think).

It would be good to confirm that these foils could cause magnetic issues with compass function, or prevent / interfere with GPS function in drones.

Perhaps anyone using these tapes on their drones could provide some feedback sometime when reading this thread, it'd be really good to know.

From my experience with birds, I've never had too many issies with them with my M1P (original Mavic Pro) or my Spark drones.
One time a Peregrine Falcon was having a really good go at the M1P, as soon as I saw it I went sports mode, ascended 50m above it fast, then flew back to my home point and landed with no issues.
It was visible below circling, unable to fly up as fast and then lost interest or I was out of it's nesting zone.
well i experienced the phenomena with lack of satellite acquisition,with my MM when as an aid to being able to see it i applied a orange reflective 1inch wide tape to the top of the drone down the center line ,and when i tried to fly it i was unable to get more that a couple of Sats locked no matter how long i left it ,i thought what could be wrong, as i had flown at the same spot the day before without a problem
and after a few attempts moving the drone to a different location several yards away ,i decided that the only thing that was different,was the fact i had applied the tape to the top of the drone
so after removing it after turning it on it acquired the necessary Sat count as it had always done before ,and i was able to fly as normal when i got home and took a close look at the tape i discovered it consisted of a clear sparkly film over a reflective foil base to give it the ability to reflect the light source, which in my case would have been the sun

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji