DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you fly without insurance (hobbyist)?

regdawg

Reactions
How many of you hobbyists fly without any insurance whether is liability or replacement coverage? I think most of us have the liability coverage with our homeowners but not the replacement coverage.

I rarely get insurance for anything. I fly conservatively and am prepared to take responsibility for any mishaps in they unlikely event they were to occur.

How many of you hobbyists fly without any insurance whether is liability or replacement coverage? I think most of us have the liability coverage with our homeowners but not the replacement coverage.

Be sure to actually check (carefully) your home-owners policy. Many home-owners and renters policies have specific exemptions for Aircraft. (it's actually very common). The big distinction is if the wording of "What is an aircraft" has an exemption for "RC aircraft" or "Model aircraft" etc... If it does not, when time comes to make a claim, chances are the insurer will count your drone as an "Aircraft" and therefor use that wording to avoid paying out.

Good news is many policies that have the "Aircraft" exemption, also have a distinction for model aircraft in some way, so you're still good. Always wise to check.

And don't just take the word of the telephone customer service agent at the insurance company, they can tell you call kinds of things now, but their tune can change when it's actually time to file a claim, and at that time it's what's black and white in ink that matters most, not what "someone told me on the phone".

If your policy doesn't have an aircraft exemption you should be good, though do be careful with wording.

I've been doing a lot of insurance research in trying to stand up UUAG in Canada, as Liability Insurance will soon be mandatory here even for recreational flight.

No insurance here. I'll buy a new one when it goes wrong. But I always fly very careful and prepared.

No insurance here. I'll buy a new one when it goes wrong. But I always fly very careful and prepared.

Not so concerned with loss/damage insurance for the drone. I think the main concern people have is liability insurance (and in Canada, liability insurance will soon be mandatory even for recreational fliers).

Even with best intentions, and careful flying, what happens if you have a flyaway because of a malfunction? And it ends up crashing into someone and blinding them, or crashes into a car, causing a death? Or simply crashes into someone's house, through a window, and then the battery overheats burning their house down... Hell, even if you're flying out in the wilderness, what if an angry goat somehow takes it out of the sky, and while chewing on it pierces the battery igniting a forest fire that takes an entire city out? :) (hey, it could happen!)

(I know, all pretty far fetched). But that's the main reason for liability insurance. :)

Liability covered under my normal homeowner's policy. Mavic coverage with State Farm PAP and also DJI Refresh

Can you get dji refresh after purchase or even if you purchased from elsewhere?

Liability covered under my normal homeowner's policy. Mavic coverage with State Farm PAP and also DJI Refresh

Same here. Feel good about liability and replacement. However I am concerned about flying my drone over water. DJI refresh requires the drone, before replacement.

Does anyone know of drone replacement insurance, for occurrences of the drone dropping in the water and not recovering the drone?

I rarely get insurance for anything. I fly conservatively and am prepared to take responsibility for any mishaps in they unlikely event they were to occur.
Wow!

I think you should re consider. Should your bird lose power and hit woman on the head from high altitude, you will be financially ruined for life!
Not worth it. You can get basic liability insurance from several companies.
Homeowners policies do not normally cover drones so beware!

Most homeowners policies do NOT cover drones. Be sure to check that out. Liability insurance should be a MUST for any drone owner.

It is relatively inexpensive. I pay $650.00 for the year.

Can you get dji refresh after purchase or even if you purchased from elsewhere?
You can get in within 48 hours of purchasing anywhere. You can get it after that as well, but you have to take extra steps and prove that your drone isn't faulty. Contact DJI on their site and they'll lead you through the process. I suspect that grace period is limited but have never heard.

I joined the BMFA ( British Model Flying Association ) for public liability insurance cost £33 for membership and insurance and a magazine every month and DJI refresh to cover the mavic

I joined the BMFA ( British Model Flying Association ) for public liability insurance cost £33 for membership and insurance and a magazine every month and DJI refresh to cover the mavic

I'm also in the UK freelander and I was considering the FPVUK insurance @ £15.80 per annum (£5m liability cover). Did you come across this at all? Just wondering if you made a choice between FPVUK and BMFA that's all?

I had heard of them but never checked it out , I thought that the BMFA had been around for a very long time so opted to use them as they provide £25 million of cover and personal accident cover

I had heard of them but never checked it out , I thought that the BMFA had been around for a very long time so opted to use them as they provide £25 million of cover and personal accident cover

... and the monthly magazine!!! I'll take a look. Thank you!

Reactions: freelanderuk
No insurance available for the hobbyist in South Africa. Liability cover through model aircraft association only cover you if flying from a registered club airfield. Homeowners wont cover drones. Drone cover only available if you have a remote pilot license, which costs more than a mavic. So will try not to crash!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada