DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you have to join an AMA to use the fields located on AirMaps?

kjonyou

Reactions
I keep seeing small spots on some apps where the AMA has RC places to fly including drones, but do you actually have to joint them to use the same space? Are they all affiliated or separate? I was looking into one in Rancho Palos Verdes CA and my search brought up this:

Half way down they list a bunch of requirements including being a current member of an AMA, is this still true?
https://www.rpvca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/13658/Drone-Policy?bidId=

You shouldn't have to pay if it's public land, but what my local RC field has done is to place a gate across the road to restrict access to the field. (It's a very long road from the gate to the field, I wouldn't want to walk it). Then they give the lock combination to you once you become an AMA member (they make you become an AMA member to be a member of their club). So here's the catch. They leave the gate open for you to drive in, but if you're the last one out you will find the gate locked by the last member out, now you can't get out! If you try to fly while other members are there, they blackball you and are downright unfriendly. Nice bunch of guys.

If it’s like Canada, you have to join the national club and then the local club. Not cheap but if your a novice, you’d find it valuable and learn a lot from guys who really know how to fly RC equipment. They turn their noses up at drone operators because drone operation doesnt require the same skill, but if u swollow yr pride, they’ll teach you how to fly safely. I joined for a while and did this video for the club, they loved it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Hi
I ran into this "club" in Illinois and told me I was not allowed to fly in a field they did not own or have rights to. The first time it happened they went soft and since I had never heard of this before they let me fly.

The next time they were a little more unpleasant. They told me I could not fly - (this is a huge open field next in the middle of nowhere). I told him I was FAA sanctioned drone pilot and he had no right to do it as it was free air - the AMA does not own the field much less the air above it.

They got agitated - then I got unpleasant (my specialty). I told him and the 4 cronies to screw off. Warned them not to touch me or the equipment or that would be bad - I had the right to fly and whatever little business plan they have to confiscate my flying freely wasn't happening.

This was not a AMA-sanctioned racing event. This was literally a bunch of people showing up to free fly. No concessions, people setting up their own courses, no sponsorship.

Once I explained I was a certified pilot (showed them my pretty laminated lisc) and only need fly safe, listen to the laws and the FAA they backed way off. I'm all for drone clubs and hanging with fellow drone peoples but I did not like my exp with them. I subscribe to Free To Fly. Stand tall.

Many AMA chartered clubs often don't own the land they use. This is a picture of the site I use most often.
crows ldg.JPG

Most rent the property or have some arrangement with the owner to use the land. Just because you might have a AMA membership doesn't mean their club is open to anyone that happens to have an AMA card. I belong to three different clubs and each require me to have an active AMA membership but I also pay yearly dues to each club. Each of my clubs have their own flight rules. For instance, couple clubs I fly at are active airports, so safety rules are paramount and although each clubs set of rules may be similar in operations, they all have specific rules set up for each site by the club membership. Many clubs pay for necessary maintenance from club dues so you can see why they don't just let anybody use the field/runway.
I'm guessing there are some open to the public AMA fields out there but I know nothing about them.

As far as launching outside the facility, if you're planning to launch to fly over the field/runway, I'd take care. All FAA rules apply, so taking your drone into an active RC flight pattern when members are using the facility would be a very ignorant and careless move. Club rules for members flying specific types of RC aircraft is often tightly controlled for site safety. Haphazardly flying around other RC aircraft using the site could result in bringing down an aircraft that could kill or seriously injure somebody. A drone in the way of a 10 foot turbine powered jet flying close to 200MPH would be a costly loss to the owner as well as dangerous to those on the ground. I've had to talk to outsiders who have claimed they just wanted to get some drone video of the RC aircraft flying around. Many seem to be oblivious to the hazards and are focused on getting that cool picture. Don't let that blind you from flying safely.

Some of the planes aren't just expensive but are highly detailed to look real which takes time to build.

DSC04128p.jpg

cougar.jpg

Well I don't really want to fly in an AMA field, in my neck of the woods which is in a big city it's often the only option. The one I linked above is the ONLY place that city will let you operate a drone and it's right in front of their city hall which looks like a mobile home in one of the richest neighborhoods in the county. So if I join and pay $200 or so in fees, I can use their tiny patch of grass. If I can just launch from there, it's close to some really beautiful cliffs by the ocean. The thing is, I have a feeling they also think you are supposed to stay flying only in the spot which would be a whole different conversation, and probably a Barney Fife confrontation.

AMA park - Copy.jpg

Reactions: gulfstream4
Chartered AMA club sites fly under FAA rules & AMA guidelines. Not saying that you might find a club that doesn't care about rules, but most do. That means VLOS along with other specific requirements for operating with different types of aircraft you mingle with. Also public complaints can affect the clubs status. Complaints could be anything from the noise generated by RC aircraft to operating over local private property. Two of my clubs don't allow drones but my main club does provided you fly within the guidelines. Flying over people, vehicles, or structures and especially operating BVLOS is a good way to get kicked out of my club. IMHO flying a drone (other than FPV) would be kinda boring if I couldn't capture scenic vistas and most club fields just aren't scenic. Maybe find a drone related club and find out where they operate from.

I looked, cant seem to find any drone clubs in LA. The few MeetUps I found were inactive for years.

Well I don't really want to fly in an AMA field, in my neck of the woods which is in a big city it's often the only option. The one I linked above is the ONLY place that city will let you operate a drone and it's right in front of their city hall which looks like a mobile home in one of the richest neighborhoods in the county. So if I join and pay $200 or so in fees, I can use their tiny patch of grass. If I can just launch from there, it's close to some really beautiful cliffs by the ocean. The thing is, I have a feeling they also think you are supposed to stay flying only in the spot which would be a whole different conversation, and probably a Barney Fife confrontation.

View attachment 144230
I'm not even sure that it's available any longer? During Covid-19 it was being used as the overflow parking for Terranea employees, and we could not fly. Since then, it has now become overgrown with weeds, and the actual landing pad / zone is trashed at best. I'm not even sure that LA County FD Heli's can land there to support Fire Suppression on Catalina Island any longer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada