DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you need part 107 to take real estate photos with Mavic Mini????

Since you don't have to register with the FAA. Can you take pics legally with this "toy drone"
There’s no such legal definition. The law defines a small unmanned aircraft in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 as

--The term `small unmanned aircraft' means an unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds, including the weight of anything attached to or carried by the aircraft.

The only exception to the rules for aircraft weighing less that .55 pounds (250g) is they do not need to be registered nor display a FAA#. All other rules still apply.[correction: All drones flown under part 107 need to be registered regardless of weight]

I think there has been some confusion because in Canada this is different. In the US the Mavic Mini saves you the $5 registration fee and the 5 minutes it takes to register and attach the given number to the aircraft and that’s it.[correction: it doesn’t for 107 flights]

Last edited:
By the way, the title of your post and the body of your post ask two different questions.

The title ask about taking pictures for commercial use (real estate business). As mentioned, for that you need a 107.

Taking pictures for recreational use (no intent to use them for commercial purposes) you do not need a 107. That said, at some point you will have to take a knowledge based exam to fly even to fly recreationally. The FAA is working on the details of that exam. I've heard different things on the timing but according to the FAA it's coming.

Correction to what I said earlier. All drones flown under part 107 need to be registered regardless of weight. Taking photos for Real Estate is an example of a flight that is required to be under part 107 rules

Reactions: Libertyflights
Assuming you mean taking real estate photos as part of a business plan to sell a property, then yes you need a Part 107 to take any photo from the air regardless of what you are using to get airborne.

Reactions: Libertyflights
The above is correct. Good explanation here if you want more details and specific references to FAA regs.

If you get paid for your work with a drone, you need to register it and you need a 107 License.

I have a question and before I say yes to this I want to know if it's ok to accept this proposition.

A real estate agency wants to buy a DJI Inspire 2 with a camera setup on it. They want me to video 4 houses and if I do so they will give me the Inspire as a token of appreciation. Do I need a part 107 to accept the drone or can they hold on to the drone for a week or so and then sell me the drone for $1.00?. What can be done legally.

I have a question and before I say yes to this I want to know if it's ok to accept this proposition.

A real estate agency wants to buy a DJI Inspire 2 with a camera setup on it. They want me to video 4 houses and if I do so they will give me the Inspire as a token of appreciation. Do I need a part 107 to accept the drone or can they hold on to the drone for a week or so and then sell me the drone for $1.00?. What can be done legally.
You need a part 107 license for that any way you look at it.

That’s not a recreational flight. You would need a 107 even if you did it for free with no expectation of any form of payment, donation, gift or discount. There’s no loophole to get around it. You do not need to receive something for a flight to be non-recreational.

A good test for trying to figure out if a flight requires a part 107 is if someone asks you to do a flight, OR you benefit somehow even if it’s indirectly then you need a part 107 license.

Only recreational flights do not require a 107 license. All other flights require a 107 license.

Last edited:
Reactions: James33
Though that’s a really good motivation to get a 107!

I got my temporary license(good enough to be legal) within 4 days of deciding I wanted to take the test. 1 day to study, 1 day to take the test, and two days to be issued the temp certificate.

So you could do this legally within a few days if you put your mind to it

Reactions: MavicVA
anytime you take pictures or videos with your drone you have to have If part 107 certificate to be able to give those or sell those pictures and videos

Where is this real estate agency? I have a 107 I would be glad to take the inspire for some videos!

Where is this real estate agency? I have a 107 I would be glad to take the inspire for some videos!
I feel there is something more to this. Think about it... this agency is a multimillion dollar business and a Inspire 2 is peanuts to it. There has to be something more to this... I will figure this out...

If I understand it correctly, the only real loophole to fly for money in the US and be exempt from Part 107 is if you are not in US airspace under FAA regulations;

"indoors" or inside an enclosed stadium, for example.

I'm not sure how an insurance carrier would adjust the terms of any policies in regards to liabilities for non-Part 107 flights, however.

Others might have a much better grasp on this subject than me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S