DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think the Mavic is powerful enough to cut a finger?

mschwind200

Reactions
Ok so I'm scared of hand catching the Mavic because it's so low, And that got me thinking:

If a propeller cut your finger while landing, would it be powerful enough to cut it off, or would it be just a minor cut sorta thing.

Just curious

It was painful when my Parrot Bebop (1st Gen) bit me. It didn't draw blood, but it hurt a lot. I've caught the Mavic by hand. I did it near a river bed. The area was a little rough to land. I turned off the bottom Vision Positioning System. It's amazingly stable. I just hovered it about shoulder height, rotated the craft so that I could see it's side profile and gently grabbed it from the bottom. I throttled down without problems.

It's surely capable of slicing to the bone but all according to how quick your finger gets in there . The folding props help a lot by minimizing injury but if your finger stays just at the tips for a second it will slice flesh easily . Time will tell as it seems many are hand catching these things . I would not .

There are posts of people with cut fingers on here. I do not see any need to catch your drone. Dangerous practice.
While I wouldn't recommend doing it for no reason, there are some times you will need to hand catch & launch it. Some examples would be rocky terrain, wetlands, from a boat, etc.
The Phantoms were easy to catch, the Mavic is a tricky one for sure. It is not to be done by the inexperienced.

There are posts of people with cut fingers on here. I do not see any need to catch your drone. Dangerous practice.

Must be nice to always have a flat landing place.. For me that's not always the case, and although no preferred there are times it's required.

I hand launched and caught a few times this past Thursday. I was standing in soft snow and there was no other option. I had never done it before, but I was slow and deliberate. Everything worked out just fine for me. Even with this successs, I would only hand catch or launch if absolutely necessary.

I would catch a phantom but I'm not doing that with a Mavic unless it is a 100 percent must

Yes, while you can hand launch/catch a Mavic, I would rather think of it with the approach of hand launching a portable little Cuisinart! It can absolutely cut you and will. That said, should you not come into contact with the props, you will be fine. In any case, if you find yourself in a sticky situation. Think of you before the Mavic - TOSS IT or RUN.

Good luck!

Even my cute little Hubsan H107 has been known to bite and draw blood.

Ahh so it's not just me..... Well good then.... in a "we're in it together" sort of way. Thumbswayup

Reactions: DavidNDC
Making a small hand held launching/landing pad, say 12X12, (so 6X12 folded) folding with a handle on the bottom is no problem. Heck, even a masons mud tray would work.

Last edited:
I got bit once, bled alittle and hurt enough to never try it again.. Phantoms are easy to catch, not much room for error in catching a mav.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000