Do you unfold your props everytime before starting motors?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by erkme73, Jan 10, 2017.

1. erkme73

erkme73 Well-Known Member

I've seen someone lecture another poster for not "doing as the manual states" and unfolding the props before flight. I've read it in the manual, but if I recall correctly, even some of DJI's own tutorial/training videos show the MP being started with folded blades. I've yet to manually unfold them, and I've yet to see any issues.

DavidinMN and skypros like this.
  2. JinForTheWin

JinForTheWin Member

davequick likes this.
  3. erkme73

I just figure, I won't possibly get them straight anyway - and with the double motor pulse on start up, it's pretty clear the engineers are anticipating the centrifugal forces to extend them properly. Besides, every video I've seen so far (I think even the DJI training/tutorial videos) don't show the extensions.

In this official DJI video (at 4:15), the guy (wearing a shirt 4 sizes too small) makes no mention of extending the props first. Inspect them, yes, but the next step, start the motors...

#3 erkme73, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    willhay555, McMavic and JinForTheWin like this.
  4. Icarus

Icarus Member

I unfold them. Not sure why. But I do.

Cheers,
    Gossen

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

5. Slantnose79

Slantnose79 Well-Known Member

I get them 80% unfolded and let centrifugal force do the rest...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

lweekspors, Hauptmann and halley like this.
  6. Vicrimo

Vicrimo Well-Known Member

I unfold them. I think whatever floats your boat will do. It's your mavic, do as you please and don't worry about what others tell you what to do or don't do.

#6 Vicrimo, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Motley

Motley Well-Known Member

I also for some reason unfold them at least some, I certainly don't try to get them perfectly straight or anything but I do unfold them. Maybe slightly less wear and tear, maybe not.

dancedance and Ron_Dog like this.
  8. MGrosvold

MGrosvold Active Member

It's just a psychological thing for me. My Mavic just doesn't look ready to fly until its props are unfolded. I have no doubt there is no problem starting the motors with the props folded but I prefer to get them looking ready to go.

9. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

I unfold them also, I don't want any unnecessary stress on the hub or latch pins, if you have ever seen what happens to a quad when it looses a prop you don't want that to happen. I think having both props starting out on the same side of the hub can't be a good thing.

lweekspors, Gp™, Kestrel and 2 others like this.
  10. PropPilot

PropPilot Well-Known Member

FWIW there will be some centrifugal imbalance on the motors briefly when they spin up to unfold the props. Who knows...... I unfold first

lweekspors and RFaust like this.
  11. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

4 sizes to small ROFL! That guy is kinda creepy with all that smiling.

There was not an option for sometimes folding out the propellers.

erkme73 likes this.
  12. erkme73

I considered putting that in as a middle option, but figured even those that do unfold as a practice probably forget every now and again - and they'd then choose sometimes. I guess the question should have been "do you think it's important to unfold the props first"...

13. Peel

Peel Well-Known Member

I've never unfolded mine. The centrifugal force does it for you.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Kai Mele likes this.
  14. Logger

Logger Well-Known Member

.. or "Has anyone EVER had a mavic prop failure that was not attributable to impact damage?"
    Once a few people start answering yes to that Q, I might give some thought to unfolding.

15. maikm

maikm Well-Known Member

I always unfold them at least so far that they're no longer pointing in the same direction. It may work 99% of the time without manually unfolding, but I don't want to take chances, because if it doesn't work, the drone could take off and fly straight in someone's face. I also wouldn't want to happen to my Mavic what happened to this Inspire which apparently had a loose prop: Drone Of The Day on Twitter

16. Andart

Andart Well-Known Member

Why take any tips for about 10 seconds . The manual clearly says unfold them so why for any reason would you not . I'm sure it won't do any damage but why not just respect your investment and why not follow the manual .
    The biggest mistake and nearly all problems come back to compass calibrations. The manual clearly says never calibrate without being asked too . I understand with all the previous drones it says calibrate but technology moves on .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

DavidinMN likes this.
  17. Brutus

Brutus Member

I alway unfold them, with three things in mind:
    1. It only takes me five seconds to do so.
    2. If there is a problem with the props, this is an extra chance to recognize it.
    3. There's a big unbalance before centrifugal force straighten the blades which creates unnecessary load at the motor bearings.

18. Simmly

Simmly Member

I never unfold them - no issues so far (around 100 starts).

19. MavicMo

MavicMo Well-Known Member

While the centrifugal forces will indeed straighten out the props, the unfolded props will put some initial strain on the motors and shafts. I'm sure its so minute that in terms of the lifespan of the motors its negligible or DJI would have designed them differently...

I usually straighten them out as it gives me the opportunity to ensure the props haven't come loose or some other damage or looseness has occurred. I also have a pre-flight checklist which I use before every flight. In that short time it takes to go over the list, unfolding the props is an easy step....

20. dsd317

dsd317 Well-Known Member

In the beginning, I did not unfold my props...mostly because a lot of the earlier videos I watched back then were of people NOT unfolding their props. But as time went on...waiting for my mavic to arrive, I started to come across posts/videos of people recommending that we UNFOLD them. Since then, I've been unfolding them before I fly. The way I see it, it's 5-10 seconds of checking the props for damage. Worth every second, IMHO.

VortexSpin likes this.