DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you unfold your props everytime before starting motors?

Do you take the time to extend/unfold the props before starting motors?

• Yes

Votes: 155 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 82 34.6%

• Total voters

erkme73

Reactions
I've seen someone lecture another poster for not "doing as the manual states" and unfolding the props before flight. I've read it in the manual, but if I recall correctly, even some of DJI's own tutorial/training videos show the MP being started with folded blades. I've yet to manually unfold them, and I've yet to see any issues.

Same. Never

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I just figure, I won't possibly get them straight anyway - and with the double motor pulse on start up, it's pretty clear the engineers are anticipating the centrifugal forces to extend them properly. Besides, every video I've seen so far (I think even the DJI training/tutorial videos) don't show the extensions.

In this official DJI video (at 4:15), the guy (wearing a shirt 4 sizes too small) makes no mention of extending the props first. Inspect them, yes, but the next step, start the motors...

Last edited:
I unfold them also, I don't want any unnecessary stress on the hub or latch pins, if you have ever seen what happens to a quad when it looses a prop you don't want that to happen. I think having both props starting out on the same side of the hub can't be a good thing.

I just figure, I won't possibly get them straight anyway - and with the double motor pulse on start up, it's pretty clear the engineers are anticipating the centrifugal forces to extend them properly. Besides, every video I've seen so far (I think even the DJI training/tutorial videos) don't show the extensions.

In this official DJI video (at 4:15), the guy (wearing a shirt 4 sizes too small) makes no mention of extending the props first. Inspect them, yes, but the next step, start the motors...

4 sizes to small ROFL! That guy is kinda creepy with all that smiling.

There was not an option for sometimes folding out the propellers.

Reactions: erkme73
4 sizes to small ROFL! That guy is kinda creepy with all that smiling.

There was not an option for sometimes folding out the propellers.

I considered putting that in as a middle option, but figured even those that do unfold as a practice probably forget every now and again - and they'd then choose sometimes. I guess the question should have been "do you think it's important to unfold the props first"...

.. or "Has anyone EVER had a mavic prop failure that was not attributable to impact damage?"
Once a few people start answering yes to that Q, I might give some thought to unfolding.

I always unfold them at least so far that they're no longer pointing in the same direction. It may work 99% of the time without manually unfolding, but I don't want to take chances, because if it doesn't work, the drone could take off and fly straight in someone's face. I also wouldn't want to happen to my Mavic what happened to this Inspire which apparently had a loose prop: Drone Of The Day on Twitter

Why take any tips for about 10 seconds . The manual clearly says unfold them so why for any reason would you not . I'm sure it won't do any damage but why not just respect your investment and why not follow the manual .
The biggest mistake and nearly all problems come back to compass calibrations. The manual clearly says never calibrate without being asked too . I understand with all the previous drones it says calibrate but technology moves on .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: DavidinMN
While the centrifugal forces will indeed straighten out the props, the unfolded props will put some initial strain on the motors and shafts. I'm sure its so minute that in terms of the lifespan of the motors its negligible or DJI would have designed them differently...

I usually straighten them out as it gives me the opportunity to ensure the props haven't come loose or some other damage or looseness has occurred. I also have a pre-flight checklist which I use before every flight. In that short time it takes to go over the list, unfolding the props is an easy step....

In the beginning, I did not unfold my props...mostly because a lot of the earlier videos I watched back then were of people NOT unfolding their props. But as time went on...waiting for my mavic to arrive, I started to come across posts/videos of people recommending that we UNFOLD them. Since then, I've been unfolding them before I fly. The way I see it, it's 5-10 seconds of checking the props for damage. Worth every second, IMHO.

Reactions: VortexSpin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair