DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use Tripod Mode or Normal Mode at low altitudes ?

At low altitudes, Tripod Mode or Normal Mode, which is most used ?

• Normal Mode

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Tripod Mode

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Isaac94

Reactions
At fairly low altitudes, when filming objects / humans / anything that requires you to film at fairly low - low altitudes, do you use Tripod Mode more often, or Normal Mode ? Just doing a survey and putting this out there, might help other people who have the same question as well. Do state your reasons, would be much appreciated !

I personally use Tripod Mode, due to the fact that it slows everything down, for easier and precise control of the drone, as well as giving that slow cinematic feel to it.

i would only use tripod mode for very specific reasons such as flying in close proximity to objects but really if you get your expo settings correct you can get the same effect by having good stick control the mav will only go as fast as you want it to you are in control

i would only use tripod mode for very specific reasons such as flying in close proximity to objects but really if you get your expo settings correct you can get the same effect by having good stick control the mav will only go as fast as you want it to you are in control
I see, yes I have tried what you said and has been practicing good and smooth stick movements in Normal Mode ever since I got my drone, and that's true, i can accomplish the same effect as in tripod / cinematic mode. So I'll go with Normal Mode in low altitudes and only use Tripod when I'm filming subjects in very close proximity and distance. But in the high air altitudes, definitely going to stick with Cinematic Mode.

I see, yes I have tried what you said and has been practicing good and smooth stick movements in Normal Mode ever since I got my drone, and that's true, i can accomplish the same effect as in tripod / cinematic mode. So I'll go with Normal Mode in low altitudes and only use Tripod when I'm filming subjects in very close proximity and distance. But in the high air altitudes, definitely going to stick with Cinematic Mode.
Make sure the close proximity subject isn't a bird nest of an attacking bird! You'll need full control to elevate immediately, if attacked! Tripod mode will leave you a sitting duck!

Reactions: Steve M
Make sure the close proximity subject isn't a bird nest of an attacking bird! You'll need full control to elevate immediately, if attacked! Tripod mode will leave you a sitting duck!
Surely switching to Sport mode will take care of that?

Surely switching to Sport mode will take care of that?
If you can find, and switch the button, and then apply full left stick before the attack is over. Otherwise, Hawk — 1, M2 — 0! You have less than a second to respond.

It's a panic situation, and I can barely find the button switch normally, while feeling for it, let alone remember which way is what, among the three different settings! ;) Best to use P expo settings and just learn gentle tripod like control. YMMV!

If you can find, and switch the button, and then apply full left stick before the attack is over. Otherwise, Hawk — 1, M2 — 0! You have less than a second to respond.

It's a panic situation, and I can barely find the button switch normally, while feeling for it, let alone remember which way is what, among the three different settings! ;) Best to use P expo settings and just learn gentle tripod like control. YMMV!
I live on the coast and, while birds of prey are far from uncommon, my main nemeses are the gulls... especially now when there's a dead whale carcass rotting away down the road.

I suspect the attack vector of the gull gives me more time to switch and right-stick it out of there.

I live on the coast and, while birds of prey are far from uncommon, my main nemeses are the gulls... especially now when there's a dead whale carcass rotting away down the road.

I suspect the attack vector of the gull gives me more time to switch and right-stick it out of there.
From my experience, flying straight up is actually your best option against an attacking bird. They cannot fly straight up at any significant speed, needing to soar to gain altitude. The reverse is not true. They can dive bomb you from above, at up to 236 mph!

Falcon’s high-speed dive generates forces needed to catch agile prey – Physics World

That’s been my experience too.

Anecdotally things seem to have improved since I skinned my Air.
Mavic 2 is pretty immune even to osprey attacks. Not much to grab onto from above, and it can recover well from any sudden impact, long before it hits the ground. The osprey nest I was monitoring was also 100 feet off the ground on a light pole, so plenty of room to recover stable flight before hitting the ground the one time they did make contact. I found the best way to approach the nest was from directly above using the 4x zoom of the M2Z in 1080p at 30fps, and then slowly descending to fill the frame. Eventually, I could do a slow orbit around the nest at nest height without spooking them. They seemed to accept that it posed no threat. The P4P couldn't get anywhere near the nest without being chased immediately. I learned that they will not fly out of the nest while standing on one leg (which they often do) , until they first lower the other leg, so one legged ospreys were safe to approach, as long as they stayed that way!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato