DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do your Mini 2 propellers "wear out"?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
The kind of flying I tend to do with my Mini 2 requires precise control as I often launch and land in tight spaces, often taking off from a second floor balcony and having to fly through a tree opening to get to open sky. When returning the narrow balcony doesn't give me enough margin for error to I sometimes fly back through a 4' door opening to land on the an open floor. I need my Mini 2 to be rock solid with almost no drift.

While when there is sufficient power to the motors to have it fly at speed, when at very low speeds with low motor power it lately wants to drift more than I like and more than I've experienced in the past (with fresh propellers). I've checked my propellers and there is no damage or distortion, but three of the props are showing a teeny bit of wobble, more than the other 5. I've checked the screw tension and tightened as far as humanly possible without stripping the threads and there is still wobble. They weren't like that when the props were all changed some time in the spring. The thing is that even with calm winds it wants to drift; sometimes sideways, sometimes up and down and seems to struggle a bit when hovering.

Is it possible that there is some minute wear in the propeller screw holes as time goes on that causes minor instability? Have any other Mini 2 owners noticed this? I've never had the issue with my Mavic 2 as the bayonette mount of those props doesn't have screw mounts that the props pivot around?

There will be replies. You just haven't been around long enough. That an M1 Garand clip in your avatar?

Just a reminder when props are changed to always use LockTite to make sure screws don't get loose.

Reactions: ehje
Just a reminder when props are changed to always use LockTite to make sure screws don't get loose.
Screws were as tight as humanly possible and did not come loose. Props are not distorted nor “dinged” at all and are checked regularly.

Screws were as tight as humanly possible and did not come loose. Props are not distorted nor “dinged” at all and are checked regularly.
I don't mean to belabor the point. "As tight as humanly possible" strips the threads, which then creates a real problem. They require the LockTite. If they vibrate loose the drone crashes wherever it is. Previous models had snap on props. The Minis require more caution with screws that can loosen, which is why LockTite is recommended when there's a change.

Reactions: bcfd29
Contrary to popular belief; the props on the Mini and Mini2 don't do much rotation around the prop-screw pivots, other than when getting stored and settling in place when the motors are started up. The sheer centrifugal force of the spinning motors have them settle pretty much stationary in position while flying. I seriously doubt that your AC instability is caused by the minute tolerance around the pivots. The reason the props are not fixed and can swivel is for more compact storage and to limit damage in case of contact with an object, only then will the centrifugal force be overcome and the props will yield/swivel around the pivot.

Reactions: pnovotny and db4476
One sure way to find out: replace the props and see if it improves.

I think it's possible that use, and maybe even the storage strap could over time deform the props slightly, maybe altering their pitch a little. A pair with different pitch could cause vibration, which might upset the flight controller.

Reactions: Yeunglings
Hello, I saw a couple of posts mentionning putting some glue Loctite on screws.
Where ad how much do you put ? Can you share pictures
Is there no risk to glue too much and not being able to remove propellers later ? Can it void DJI Care ?
Thanks in advance

Hello, I saw a couple of posts mentionning putting some glue Loctite on screws.
Where ad how much do you put ? Can you share pictures
Is there no risk to glue too much and not being able to remove propellers later ? Can it void DJI Care ?
Thanks in advance
The OEM prop scews come with a type of 'Loctite' already applied, the reason DJI suggests new screws to be used with prop change. If you re-use prop screws and apply Loctite I'd suggest you use a toothpick to apply it VERY sparingly to the screw threads only, I had a look at the OEM screws under a magnifying glass, there's really VERY little locking compound on it. I have used clear nail varnish instead of Loctite before, worked well but again, very sparingly. To release a stubborn Loctite bond a soldering iron tip can be used to slightly heat the screw.
IMG-20210712-WA0014.jpg

Can also use clear fingernail polish, which i prefer. Why someone might ask? Someone might purchase the wrong loctite (there is red and blue). A lot of gunsmiths stop using loctite for scope mounts yrs ago for a variety of reasons which can be googled for inquiring minds. One is much stronger than the other and without getting up and looking in my glue bin I even forget which one is more "potent" and could be disastrous if used on a drone when removal time comes. I even use fingernail polish with props with loctite already on them when being replaced, as far as I am concerned it could be a bad/weak batch or made in ????, lol. Just my added security of knowing my props arent coming off during air time. stay safe! (and I have several scopes with fingernail polish on scope screws on several high caliber smoke poles)

Can also use clear fingernail polish, which i prefer. Why someone might ask? Someone might purchase the wrong loctite (there is red and blue). A lot of gunsmiths stop using loctite for scope mounts yrs ago for a variety of reasons which can be googled for inquiring minds. One is much stronger than the other and without getting up and looking in my glue bin I even forget which one is more "potent" and could be disastrous if used on a drone when removal time comes. I even use fingernail polish with props with loctite already on them when being replaced, as far as I am concerned it could be a bad/weak batch or made in ????, lol. Just my added security of knowing my props arent coming off during air time. stay safe! (and I have several scopes with fingernail polish on scope screws on several high caliber smoke poles)

Yes, we want to use the blue Loctite, which is semi-permanent, and not the red, which is supposed to be permanent'ish!

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever had their props come off during flight because of the screws?
They can/do come loose, I had a close shave, once. The Mini did not 'sound' right after take off and hover so I landed and checked for problems, it was a half-loose prop screw, from factory still. Checking screws is on my every pre-flight checklist now.

Might it be the bearings in one or more motors creating some wobble? Bearings do wear out, and sometimes (always?) can be replaced, or otherwise a new motor is needed.

They can/do come loose, I had a close shave, once. The Mini did not 'sound' right after take off and hover so I landed and checked for problems, it was a half-loose prop screw, from factory still. Checking screws is on my every pre-flight checklist now.
Interesting! Re 'pre-flight checklist', has anyone got one to share?

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever had their props come off during flight because of the screws?
I found a loose screw in my preflight check following replacement of a set of props.

These were original DJI props that had the blue film on them (supposedly loctite) and yet the screw still became loose.

Just another reason why I went with the Air 2.

I take mine off when I travel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S