DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Documenting my noob furthest distance..half mile to reach longest covered bridge in the US

Hertzdonut

Reactions
This is not cinematography, strictly a video track (no audio) just to document my first "long distance" flight. I wanted to push my comfort zone out a bit, and did that today. Launched from a boat landing that is a half mile away from the Cornish-Windsor covered bridge. My first attempt got me half way there before I turned around. Just couldn't do it. When I put in a fresh battery, I said, "Screw it, I'm going for it". (The words held way more confidence then I felt!)

Anyway, 45 seconds of silent video of the last half of the flight of the bridge being reached.

In the future, I intend to go back. I would like to fly over the top, and return via under the bridge. But that's for another day.

I have to say, it is a VERY weird feeling when your drone is that far away. I could still see it, it just felt weird to have control over something that freaking far away. ? ?

- Jeff

To bad you couldn't go over to the bridge and fly through it. You'd have to cordon of the entrances though. Unless, the bridge is simply not very busy. Get a sign, bridge temporarily closed for ONE MINUTE.

Reactions: Beamie
In the future, I intend to go back. I would like to fly over the top, and return via under the bridge. But that's for another day.

If flying from the same place, going beyond and behind the bridge MIGHT be the place signal could be affected.
So be careful, as noted above, try and get closer, bank either side, maybe walk down to the river flanks there.

Or make sure RTH alt is set right to rise and clear the bridge if it kicks in.
Really bad luck if RTH happens when below the bridge.
If you didn't not it already on the above flight, make sure signal strength is well up before trying it.

I've always wondered, why ARE these bridges covered like this (mental picture of the famous Maddison County bridges Iowa) ?
It's obviously normally exposed to weather either side approaches, was it for pedestrian use in the pre modern motor era, or when cars were luxuries ?

Reactions: Hertzdonut
Ah, thought it might have been snow related (to shed snow off and make crossing the bridges safer (could be this too), but the timber protection makes sense.
Not all countries hard hardwood like out jarrah etc to build rail bridges and the likes, that can last for centuries in drier regions.

Some interesting thoughts here, I appreciate the comments!

Going through the bridge would be a bit of a challenge, as it gets a lot of use. Maybe an early Sunday morning thing, but even then…

Good point about potential signal loss if I go over and then come back under! I hadn’t thought about that!

I was looking for a closer launch point, but I might have to travel to the Vermont side. Not really any easily accessible spots in the New Hampshire side that would be drone-friendly.

Oh, for those that are curious, this is the exact bridge: Cornish-Windsor covered bridge on Wikipedia

Can’t wait for my next outing!

- Jeff

Going through the bridge would be a bit of a challenge, as it gets a lot of use.

Yeah, that's a whole other level !
Be good to have an atti option on a drone for that, and be well practiced on the sticks !!

Oh, for those that are curious, this is the exact bridge: Cornish-Windsor covered bridge on Wikipedia

And yeah, thanks for that, most interesting.

This little snippet made me laugh . . .

[In 1866] It connected 'temperance' Windsor with 'wet' Cornish, so authorities asked 2 cents for foot travelers to enter New Hampshire but upped the fee to 3 cents for the return to dry Windsor.
— Boston Globe (1966)

Easy to see why protecting those timbers was / is so important.

1365px-Cornish-Windsor_Bridge-Inside-2018.jpg

Meaning no offence but is distance and launching from a boat the wisest thing to do for a "noob"?
Have you experimented with the RTH and or loss of signal behaviours in a safe learning place?

Yes I understand the desires but .............

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh ok, my mistake, but I think the rest of my post remains valid.

Just a wild question, what authority controls the air space IN a covered bridge?

Is it the FAA or the Parks Department that the bridge sits on?

I can launch off site next to the bridge and possibly fly through it.

The Parks Department used to say no drones from the property, now they say 400 feet above the property in the rules. :D

Easy to see why protecting those timbers was / is so important.
Yes indeed. Also a good test for automobile drivers, going from bright sunlight into the long dark bridge and then seeing a large pickup truck coming towards you, sucking up their entire lane and just a wee bit more!
Have you experimented with the RTH and or loss of signal behaviours is a safe learning place?

Yes I understand the desires but .............

No offense taken. Yes on the RTH, but you make a good point about dealing with loss of signal. That is something I should attend to. (general fyi, my drone is registered, and I have my TRUST cert. Carry both with me when flying)

Thanks!

Hmm....I am assuming that you were able to keep the drone in VLOS the entire time? No one seems to have touched on that point. If not, you are in violation of FAA regulations. EVERY "distance" video on YouTube is an illegal drone flight. Period. Sure, everyone makes mistakes at first, even I did, but once I started studying for my Part 107 (something I suggest strongly to EVERYONE who has a drone) I quickly realized my mistakes. One way to make sure you can keep it in VLOS is to put a strobe on it. Half a mile is really a long way to try and keep an eye on a typical consumer drone.

Reactions: tlswift58
Guess no one told them they don't control the airspace. No drones FROM the property is perfectly legal, but saying you can't fly over it, no matter the height, is NOT unless it's deemed to be FAA-controlled airspace. People can make all kinds of claims about who owns the airspace, but legally, only the FAA does.

Just say, "I didn't know", if confronted. From my personal experience, police don't seem to hassle drone pilots too much. I'm always just told, "you can't fly your drone here.", then I leave.

Hmm....I am assuming that you were able to keep the drone in VLOS the entire time? No one seems to have touched on that point. If not, you are in violation of FAA regulations. EVERY "distance" video on YouTube is an illegal drone flight. Period. Sure, everyone makes mistakes at first, even I did, but once I started studying for my Part 107 (something I suggest strongly to EVERYONE who has a drone) I quickly realized my mistakes. One way to make sure you can keep it in VLOS is to put a strobe on it. Half a mile is really a long way to try and keep an eye on a typical consumer drone.
He said, "I have to say, it is a VERY weird feeling when your drone is that far away. I could still see it, it just felt weird to have control over something that freaking far away. ?"

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Practice makes perfect!
Since the bridge is what intrigued you, park closer and capture more of the bridge and not (necessarily) the flight to it. :)

That's because I mentioned that I could still see it (last sentence in my original post). It was a sliver against the sky, but it was visible to me. And yes, I understand the regs.

Your point about the strobe is a good one, though. It would make it so I could go further out. Have to check into that!

Thanks,

Jeff

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Practice makes perfect!
Since the bridge is what intrigued you, park closer and capture more of the bridge and not (necessarily) the flight to it. :)
Thanks, gfieldsr! I agree, the more I fly, the less anxiety there is. I have no intention of getting complacent or cocky, though...if my 64 years have taught me anything...! ;)

Yes, I hope to get back to that bridge, but from a proper vantage point.

Reactions: GFields
He said, "I have to say, it is a VERY weird feeling when your drone is that far away. I could still see it, it just felt weird to have control over something that freaking far away. ?"
Must have AWESOME vision to see a tiny gray drone 1/2 mile away. No mention of strobes, which "may" help some - but half a mile.

Yet, he said he did, so I guess he did.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll