DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DOD NSUFR help - Is this really a NFZ?

xero28

Reactions
Hi all, I’m new here and new to UAS. I was trying to fly in the area shown in the photos (flying under Part 107). There’s an Air Force Base nearby. B4UFLY showed it was good to go, but DJI would not let me take off at all. Said it was a no fly zone. It wouldn’t even let me submit for authorization. I drove about a mile east and was able to fly there. Is there a distance from the NSUFR you have to be to fly? Is the a problem with the DJI app? Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• D5E2ACF9-CB44-402D-A7CC-9A7DBE711F68.png
    D5E2ACF9-CB44-402D-A7CC-9A7DBE711F68.png
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 23878313-CA87-467D-8F78-26C8CDBEEC4B.png
    23878313-CA87-467D-8F78-26C8CDBEEC4B.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 27
Take a look at this...involved, but worth checking out
Thanks, that does help to understand what the NAUFRs and TFRs are, but I don’t understand why my flight was grounded. I was at least 3 miles away from the closest NAUFR (a state prison) and about 5 miles from the Air Force base. The article said that you’re to stay 3,000 ft away laterally from these areas, so I can’t tell I couldn’t fly if I was miles away.

Last edited:
It appears it is a new restriction. my local base - China Lake, CA recently released a letter saying that the no fly zone has been extended to 5 miles from the Base perimeter. It used to be the usual 5 miles from the airfield and restricted airspace. This has basically thrown a no fly zone over all the surrounding towns. No one had any warning of the move. I am guessing it is a Nationwide restriction . Seems a little excessive, under the guise of "security".

It appears it is a new restriction. my local base - China Lake, CA recently released a letter saying that the no fly zone has been extended to 5 miles from the Base perimeter. It used to be the usual 5 miles from the airfield and restricted airspace. This has basically thrown a no fly zone over all the surrounding towns. No one had any warning of the move. I am guessing it is a Nationwide restriction . Seems a little excessive, under the guise of "security".
Don’t make sense and is not part of any regulations for them to be able to say you have to stay 5 miles from the fence line. If your not in a restricted area or a controlled airspace you can fly. China lake has a complexed airspace system. R2505 always active. R2506 active Monday-Friday. Class D active Monday-Friday. If they want to say you have to stay 5 miles away from that then they should extend there airspace to meet that 5 mile extension.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair