DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does a home repair invalidate Care Refresh or Warranty if there is a future crash if the repair isn't the cause?

RotatingBirds

Reactions
The following is a 'what if?' scenario:

Let's say that I break one of the 'legs' on my new Mini 2 - I have Care Refresh and could send in the drone for replacement but I decide to repair it myself with a suitable glue or maybe replace it with an official DJI part (I'd rather use Care Refresh for damage that I can't easily repair myself or a flyaway).

It's a 'perfect' job but a few months later I crash it more severely and decide to use Care Refresh to get a replacement. The home repair definitely isn't the cause of the later crash but will DJI still honour the warranty and Care Refresh?

Last edited:
Probably would depend on the first repair. DJI has a way of determining if the aircraft has been worked on by others. If you look closely, there will be a spot of a glue type substance in the head of one of the screws that holds the different parts of the main shells together. The intent is that you would need to remove that material prior to removing the screw. If that material is not there when they inspect the aircraft, that would be the start of the skirmish.

I would say it almost certainly invalidates the warranty and care refresh. On the minis you have to destroy or displace at least one anti tamper cover to get to one screw, I don't remember if there were any glue plugs sealing screw heads.

I can see a good reason for the policy, a DIY'er is likely doing this for the first time and may miss other damage that a pro would hopefully know to check for.
I am pretty sure DIY gluing would be an unacceptable repair to any airspace authority and mean the drone would be deemed unairworthy.
I have seen a glued arm and the job was a complete and utter horlicks, the arm wasn't even aligned properly. Yes there could be DIY'ers who do good jobs and include not only gluing but add reinforcement but you'd need to research the glue used.

Props & batteries excluded, replacement bits/arms are not generally sold to the public by DJI or their agents, any that you would be able to get "new" will be pattern. In my book an advert stating OEM carries no water and I would consider them "pattern parts".

Besides a DIY'er may cause further damage during the process.

I am a DIY'er and it took me several rebuilds and test flights to find all the damage done in a heavy crash, some of the damage was impossible to see until a test flight had shown a problem and the related bits were dismantled and examined.

I had to replace an arm with a new arm, not a mini, and there were differences in the fit. Subsequently I bought a scrapper that will be cannibalised as a source of genuine parts for any future repairs.

Last edited:
@RotatingBirds if you have care refresh ,then i think you will find that any sort of DIY repair will invalidate that warranty
if the drone is out of warranty, then provided a good safe repair ,(not gluing, but replacing like for like such as a replacement arm motor ) was done by a competent person, then there should be no problem with such a repair

If you use Care Refresh + DJI will ask for an explanation of the damage and reason for the return. With plus you return the drone to DJI and DJI will immediately send a replacement. I don't know if DJI inspects the returned drone for condition related to your explanation. What would you expect to be the response by DJI if they find the damage is not consistent with your explanation?
I just had a very quick return replacement for a damaged Air 2s. It was quite simple and includes a replacement battery. I also have a Spark returning today (no Care Refresh) after a camera module replacement; I found the service and cost reasonable for the assurance of getting it repaired correctly.

Let's say that I break one of the 'legs' on my new Mini 2 - I have Care Refresh and could send in the drone for replacement but I decide to repair it myself with a suitable glue or maybe replace it with an official DJI part (I'd rather use Care Refresh for damage that I can't easily repair myself or a flyaway).

It's a 'perfect' job but a few months later I crash it more severely and decide to use Care Refresh to get a replacement. The home repair definitely isn't the cause of the later crash but will DJI still honour the warranty and Care Refresh?
I agree with what the other folks said. But I suppose in the case of a "fly away" or blow away, or if crashed and then got ran over by a tank, then I guess it wouldn't make any difference right 🤔

If you do not mind doing so giving the repair prices might be a help to others.
Spark is an older model and likely less expensive to repair; I had it more than 2 years and never had Care Refresh. Total cost of camera module replacement was $132, including 2-way shipping. I think you can find some repair prices at DJI.com. Total time from shipping to return was 10 days.
The process is simple. You fill out the forms; DJI gives you a return UPS label. When DJI receives it they will evaluate problem and send you price for repair. You can decline repair and DJI will return your drone and may change a shipping fee.
DJI now gave me an option to purchase CareRefresh on the repaired done.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I bought a damaged Mavic Air 2. I replaced 3 of the arms and the gimbal. The gimbal then gave a permanent gimbal stuck error. I sent it to DJI who charged me €91 and sent a new drone without quibble. Excellent service even though it was not under warranty.

If you're talking replacement, I don't think they will quibble. I've never repaired mine, and just sent it in for replacement after a big crash (three arms broken, motor detached, dents in casing). They take your payment and say they ship you a new one as soon as they get your old one. Mine should arrive at their facility tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my replacement early next week.

Out of my 4 DJI drones only one was ever damaged enough for re-care. I’ve needed some things fixed here and there but have a repair place within an hours drive who can fix **** near anything drone related and have me back up flying in a day or so. With that being said I no longer take the recare.

I’d rather pay a little more in the end (maybe) and have it back in a day vs deal with DJI. That’s my opinion and it works for me but it may not work for others and that’s fine.

Out of my 4 DJI drones only one was ever damaged enough for re-care. I’ve needed some things fixed here and there but have a repair place within an hours drive who can fix **** near anything drone related and have me back up flying in a day or so. With that being said I no longer take the recare.

I’d rather pay a little more in the end (maybe) and have it back in a day vs deal with DJI. That’s my opinion and it works for me but it may not work for others and that’s fine.
It sounds like you’re in a fairly unique situation. This is the first time I’ve had my DJI drone damaged to the point where it needs to be replaced. I did have one suffer a hard belly landing. I was able to fix some of it but I could never get the gimbal right again. I ended up selling that one and buying a replacement. If I didn’t have care refresh for my recent crash, I’d be out the full cost of a replacement minus anything I could get for parts.

Hey RotatingBirds,

Make like "Paul Harvey" and tell us the rest of the story. Did you fix it yourself, did you use a 3rd party repair center, or did you use you Care Refresh and send it back to DJI.

Enquiring Minds Want to Know…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54