DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anybody else feel DJI are cutting it a bit close with the Low Battery RTH

Thing is DJI normally program these batteries according to how a LiPo battery behaves, since the MM is a LiIon cell their operating range is greater. Mine landed on 5% with each cell on 3.3v which as I understand is quite safe for the batteries. I'm curious to see how long the battery can fly on 0% to understand its true capacity.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
Thing is DJI normally program these batteries according to how a LiPo battery behaves, since the MM is a LiIon cell their operating range is greater. Mine landed on 5% with each cell on 3.3v which as I understand is quite safe for the batteries. I'm curious to see how long the battery can fly on 0% to understand its true capacity.
That’s good to know, I’m coming from a Mavic Air and was worried about degrading the batteries.

I flew my aircraft until the automatic low battery RTH was triggered, yes the aircraft got back but there wasn’t much left in the tank!
The risk of flying a battery to a very low percentage has its disadvantages.
Your choice.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
when you say automatic am i right in thinking the RTH when the MM workes out how much battery it needs to get back safely the reason i ask is because that value will be different and depends on how far the mav is from the home point that is why it is advisable to watch remaining battery level and start to come home at around 40% battery so that you have the best chance of a successful flight and if you are unable to land straight away for any reason you have some extra flight time left in the tank for emergencies

when you say automatic am i right in thinking the RTH when the MM workes out how much battery it needs to get back safely the reason i ask is because that value will be different and depends on how far the mav is from the home point that is why it is advisable to watch remaining battery level and start to come home at around 40% battery so that you have the best chance of a successful flight and if you are unable to land straight away for any reason you have some extra flight time left in the tank for emergencies
That’s correct, I did bring it back towards me but it was high, so I was a little nervous on the decent.

That’s correct, I did bring it back towards me but it was high, so I was a little nervous on the decent.
if you rely on that sot of RTH there will come a day when it does not make it home for whatever reason it is really an emergency only RTH but its up to you if you use it on a regular basis,just remember as good as the tech is its not infallible

if you rely on that sot of RTH there will come a day when it does not make it home for whatever reason it is really an emergency only RTH but its up to you if you use it on a regular basis,just remember as good as the tech is its not infallible
as I mentioned previously I was simply testing it out understand the aircraft behaviour

Reactions: old man mavic
as I mentioned previously I was simply testing it out understand the aircraft behaviour
thats fine well now you know happy flying, yours OMM

This is an interesting discussion, I wonder if the automatic return to home plays into account the wind, if anybody knows please chime in

18650 can be safely discharged down to 3.0 volts per cell. They are very forgiving batteries. While they do not pack the punch as a lipo , they can deliver constant energy while lipos delivery high burst then start getting lower current as it discharged.

I've made several huge packs for long range quads and wings and have a fair understanding of the discharge rate if these batteries.

This is an interesting discussion, I wonder if the automatic return to home plays into account the wind, if anybody knows please chime in

For RTH purposes, the FC continually updates two parameters while in flight:

SMART_BATTERY_goHomeBattery is based purely on distance from the home point, and is the remaining battery percentage that it estimates will be required to return to the home point with 10% battery remaining. It does not currently take into account wind speed and direction, and so a headwind on the return leg will reduce the margin and could lead to it being unable to make it back.

SMART_BATTERY_landBattery is based on height above the takeoff point, and is the remaining battery that the FC estimates will be needed to descend and land. It does not know about changes in terrain elevation, and so if it triggers low battery autolanding where the ground is much lower than the takeoff point then it may not make it down.

Neither of these parameters has anything to do with the low and critical low warning levels, which are just informational and set as fixed values in the GO app.

Are you sure the target SoC on reaching HP is only 10%? My experience it seems a bit more conservative, like maybe 20% to account for flight variances. 20% can quickly go to 10%, and at 10% it typically lands.

I am a new member, so please excuse my ignorance.....
I purchased the Mavic Air back in July and so far, I love it....
Not sure what the other models have to increase RTH speed, but the Mavic Air has a “sport” button that increases the travel speed to around 70 kms an hour (44 mph).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots