DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone actually fly shielded?

ThePaulius

Reactions
Of course I have never flown with the global cover on since my maiden flight (because i expected to crash on the first go, plus after becoming a drone expect without owning a drone from watching YouTube lol)... but all the marketing photography features it on, but what does eveyone else do?

I did see some reflection from it which is why most take it off I guess...

I just feel lile I'm being an idiot when taking it off.. like someone walking through a safari park with bacon strapped to their backs saying it's fine it's what everyone else does lol

I guess it's in the marketing because it's a way of them protecting themselves against damage claims....

Shield on or off?

Of course I have never flown with the global cover on since my maiden flight (because i expected to crash on the first go, plus after becoming a drone expect without owning a drone from watching YouTube lol)... but all the marketing photography features it on, but what does eveyone else do?

I just feel lile I'm being an idiot when taking it off.. like someone walking through a safari park with bacon strapped to their backs saying it's fine it's what everyone else does lol

I guess it's in the marketing because it's a way of them protecting themselves against damage claims....

Shield on or off?

I think the instructions say to remove it during flight!? Maybe it’s just for protection when it’s being handled in case you drop it or it hits something when your changing the second card! I never tried flying with it on since I thought if the Gimble could hit it during hard maneuvering, someone correct me if I’m wrong on any of this?

If you want good images, remove it. Flying around for fun or testing? Leave it on.
It is your choice. You wont hurt the AC.
Yeah I think that's it really.. it's just weird as they also give a rubber scratch guard like it's meant to be used...

Shield on or off?
Off - you are blocking the air cooling intake

Yeah I think that's it really.. it's just weird as they also give a rubber scratch guard like it's meant to be used...

Whats even more strange is that DJI seems to glue (or use some type of adhesive) on the black rubber gimbal protective bubble cover to the bubble itself, in later versions of the Mavic. Most of the black rubber covers fall off over time, and they arent glued very strongly, so not sure if they were meant to stay on permanently or just used to pop it on during transport. You cant fly with the black cover on it because it will obscure your picture, but if you have a clear bubble you can fly. Another DJI mystery, "Why did they do that?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
One last thought. Maybe DJI created the black rubber bubble cover so that the clear plastic bubble will not get scratched during transport and handling since some people will opt to fly with it on. Im starting to think they put a dab of glue on there to keep it on for the people that always want to remove the bubble during flight and never plan to fly with it on, but for those that want to fly with the bubble, the rubber guard can easily be peeled off and placed back on after flight. There always seems to be method behind DJI's madness.

Reactions: Simmo
Whats even more strange is that DJI seems to glue (or use some type of adhesive) on the black rubber gimbal protective bubble cover to the bubble itself, in later versions of the Mavic. Most of the black rubber covers fall off over time, and they arent glued very strongly, so not sure if they were meant to stay on permanently or just used to pop it on during transport. You cant fly with the black cover on it because it will obscure your picture, but if you have a clear bubble you can fly. Another DJI mystery, "Why did they do that?"
Do you mean the thing that's protecting the clear plastic cover from scratching? That's always been separate on mine making me believe the clear cover is meant to fly. Mysteries indeed!

Reactions: JayNC
I fly with a Sun shade globe. Offers a little protection for gimbal without restricting air flow.

The only time I’ve use the gimbal cover was when flying in thre rain to keep water off the camera; did a great job.

Shield on or off?

Last thing I want is the internal temperature gets too hot. The MP shut down during mid flight. Just like your phone over heats. It turn itself off to prevent further damage to the hardware or to you.

Reactions: JayNC and MavicCF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000