DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone are good at photography?

wiseman

Reactions
I am a green hand in taking pics and I want buy a camera as a beginning. Is there has anyone could give me any ideas? $2000-$3000 is my budget. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Mark Brimblecombe
Taking pictures of what?
Thats a massive budget for starting out, can probably diving that by 3 to get something more than suitable.
But nobody can answer without more detail.

Reactions: KevinMac
1000 gets you Panasonic LUMIX G85. Really good for video and photo.

On the photo forums they all love the Sony RX100 series.
I wouldn't go down the SLR/interchangeable lens route now because the small ones do everything you want and you will actually have it with you.
I'd want 4K video option too, and stabilisation at least up to 1080p

Agree there's no need to spend over $500, but more temptations soon come along as you get into it more.
You will soon need some decent editing software, the favourite being Adobe Lightroom but there are others pretty close.

I am a green hand in taking pics and I want buy a camera as a beginning. Is there has anyone could give me any ideas? $2000-$3000 is my budget. Thanks guys.

I recommend you to do some research before buying. It all depends on how will you use it. Reflex DSLR are very good but bulkier than mirrorless also the sensor sizes are different.
I've been using a Panasonic GX8 with Leica lenses for the last two years and i'm very happy with it. Since my camera and lenses are light weight, i can bring it everywhere on my travels. You have many options out there. Do your research, try some and see whats best for you. If i was to buy a new camera today i would go for a Sony alpha RII. See some reviews and dig in the forums it will help you making the right choice for you.

Reactions: wiseman
1000 gets you Panasonic LUMIX G85. Really good for video and photo.

The GX85 is a great camera but for a little bit more money the GX8 is better in my opinion. I have one and it has never let me down during past 2 years.

Don't get into the trap of thinking that the dollar value of the equipment has anything to do with the quality of your photos. Concentrate first on "seeing" light, composition, and understanding exposure. From there you can start to delve deeper into technique. Virtually all of those that are considered masters of the trade in the past (ie. Winongrad, Lange, Adams, etc) worked with cameras with exactly none of the bells and whistles of even a $500 camera today.

For learning the basics -- and focusing on the fundamentals of photography -- I recommend the Fuji X100F. And don't use the flash, ever. Concentrate on natural light. Aspire to take 1000 shots per month minimum. Don't do snapshots. Calm down and consider each shot, then shoot it at different angle and exposures...keep doing this until you understand ahead of time what each little adjustment does before you even select it. Try not to shoot thinking "I'll fix it in post". Get it right in the camera. Shoot RAW only.

You may come to find that the X100F is all the camera you want, and you will have saved a lot of money. I know so many pros that are using Fuji X cameras now, precisely because their technology "gets out of the way".

Reactions: Bunny Too
I wouldnt go DSLR with lenses yet. Although they can produce substantially better images in certain conditions chances are you dont need any of the features they offer and wont for a while.
Far better to start with a good compact that allows up to full manual control, take lots of pictures, learn from that and then eventually you'll know enough yourself to work out if its worth upgrading and if so, what to.

I know it's an old topic but, ...
“A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures – they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’

~

He said nothing until dinner was finished, then:

~

‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific Stove.'”

~

Sam Haskins

I know it's an old topic but, ...
“A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures – they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’

~

He said nothing until dinner was finished, then:

~

‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific Stove.'”

~

Sam Haskins
Yup.. I've had similar discussions about photography, graphic design, and construction. People always think it's some kind of magic inherent in the machines.

Reactions: KevinMac
With that budget, maybe invest in a short photography course?

Reactions: rfc
Yup.. I've had similar discussions about photography, graphic design, and construction. People always think it's some kind of magic inherent in the machines.
As the one with the 'good' camera I always get asked to take the photos at family & friends events. Everyone thinks that as I've got good equipment I can't go wrong. They think I'm a pro because I've got a tripod. Must leave the lens cap on while doing a shoot one of these days just to see what reaction I get ;)

I have often seen people use tripods just to gain attention, I use a monopod as when shooting professionally the whole rig can get heavy after a few hours (I shoot horse events and on the go all day).
Monopods are light and not cumbersome and you can toss the whole rig over your shoulder when you want to move around, Manfrotto is a good choice.
I use Nikons coupled with a variety of Nikkor, Sigma and Tokina lenses all of which are good, my other love is macro for which I use a 50mm and 100mm 2.8 macro lens as well as extension tubes and standard lenses.
My cameras are D3 and D800 while my wife uses a D300s,
Depends upon what you want to do but I use the D3 because it has a fast FPS rate (13fps), same applies to the D300s (9FPS), THE d800 IS 36MP AND i CAN BLOW UP MY MACRO SHOTS to poster size or larger without any loss of resolution.
Have a good look at what you want to use it for and talk to a dealer who is willing to offer assistance and not just take what you have available by way of cash, join a camera club and pick some brains, they will show you the way and is cheaper than a course.
Do some reading on the relationship between aperture and shutter speeds, understand ISO and its limits, I favour high shutter speed for what I do but a friend who shoots weddings favours low aperture for bokeh (look it up and learn even more).
All very confusing at the start but will become crystal clear afer a while as will your pictures, learn about composition, lighting, fill in, reflectors.
Have fun.

Canon are great if you can't afford a Nikon (now steps back and watches the fight start)
Canon, Sony and Nikon are both great if you have more money than brains. Truly smart people understand that Fujifilm X rules them all.

Let the deep trolling begin!:):rolleyes:

Last edited:
I used to be into DSLR's (Canon), have a bunch of L lenses... but no more. Like with Mavic, portability is everything; the best camera or drone is the one you have with you. Bought recently Panasonic Lumix FZ80 and can't be happier. A long lens (1200mm optical, up to 4800mm digital) is also very useful as a scope.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803