DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone feel the Mavic Pro 2 will be underwhelming?

adiru

Reactions
Does anyone else intuitively feel the next version of the MP, the so-called "Mavic Pro 2" will be underwhelming?

Based on my impression of how the Spark went (I expected better, a 4k cam to start, and 3-axis to start, and a controller that had at least some data display capabilities etc) and how little of a marginal improvement the Platinium version of the Mavic Pro really was (other than a prop+motor redesign which was responsible for the less noise, the increased flight time, and for the smoother flight) not that stellar, now coupled with what I think is a very not-so-impressive Air (when factoring in the cost/price issue in terms of prop value, and other things like lack of any display on the controller, and the fact that most people expected the Spark to have been foldable out the gate, and then Air only has 30fps at 4k, making it really nmore of a Spark platiniumn rather than a new category of its own, imo) I can't help but feel the best days of innovation are over and that whatever Mavic Pro 2 ends up being, it will likely greatly underwhelm in terms of costs, specs or probably both.

Reactions: Davey
I personally don't think we'll see a Mavic Pro 2 but I do think there's potential for a Mavic Air Pro. As for the controller having a display, I never used the one on my Mavic controller, so that doesn't bother me. The 100mbps bitrate of the Air is what has me interested. I plan to pick up a Mavic Air so time will tell just how awesome, or underwhelming, it really is. I'm any case, the amount of tech they can fit into such a small form factor is impressive.

Does anyone else intuitively feel the next version of the MP, the so-called "Mavic Pro 2" will be underwhelming?

Based on my impression of how the Spark went (I expected better, a 4k cam to start, and 3-axis to start, and a controller that had at least some data display capabilities etc) and how little of a marginal improvement the Platinium version of the Mavic Pro really was (other than a prop+motor redesign which was responsible for the less noise, the increased flight time, and for the smoother flight) not that stellar, now coupled with what I think is a very not-so-impressive Air (when factoring in the cost/price issue in terms of prop value, and other things like lack of any display on the controller, and the fact that most people expected the Spark to have been foldable out the gate, and then Air only has 30fps at 4k, making it really nmore of a Spark platiniumn rather than a new category of its own, imo) I can't help but feel the best days of innovation are over and that whatever Mavic Pro 2 ends up being, it will likely greatly underwhelm in terms of costs, specs or probably both.

Well I guess it depends on what you think is necessary to impress you. If you look at the Air verses any other drone in that size or price range what beats it? *Crickets*

As far as the MP2 goes, if they can manage a 1" 4k 60fps camera sensor with all of the features of the Air plus side sensing like the Phantom, I will be impressed!

The problem here is DJI has spoiled all of you! You all ask so much, want to give so little and then still drag DJI's name through the mud every chance you get. They already have inarguably the best drones on the market in every category. Name the drone that is better than the Inspire 2 in that category, the Phantom 4 Pro, the Mavic Pro, even the Spark? Who makes a drone for $800 that beats the Mavic Air in size, specs, features, etc?

For me, what highlights the fact that DJI makes the best drones on the market is how much some of you HATE them but still buy their products!!! Hahaha!

I personally don't think we'll see a Mavic Pro 2 but I do think there's potential for a Mavic Air Pro. As for the controller having a display, I never used the one on my Mavic controller, so that doesn't bother me. The 100mbps bitrate of the Air is what has me interested. I plan to pick up a Mavic Air so time will tell just how awesome, or underwhelming, it really is. I'm any case, the amount of tech they can fit into such a small form factor is impressive.

Mavic Pro 2 is already out of "beta" testing.

OsitaLV (@OsitaLV) | Twitter

that tweeter has an excellent track record, and he had announced MAVIC AIR 10 days before official release...

end of march is the date of announcement of MAVIC 2 according to him...

@floyd beta testing is when some very small amount of users (here i guess DJI employees and engineers) test a product before deciding if it's ready or not ;)

Reactions: christ and BD0G
I think it will have similar features to Autel’s Evo. I’m sure it will look better in design. Think Mavic Air’s lines.

Hopefully it’ll have a dedicated controller with display and not require a phone to use advanced features of the craft.

They need a camera with same if not better quality of their P4 series. Also a protected and replaceable gimbal system.

Maybe they’ll squeeze some extra flight time from improved batteries.

Reactions: Wt3786
Here's something...

fcbcacc1a1aef53aa180214386665a78.jpg

I’m not sure the Mavic 2 has been announced yet, so I don’t feel qualified to comment on whether it will be underwhelming. However, I do feel confident that as soon as it is announced, there will be a deluge of posts on here from people telling us they’ve placed a pre-order for a drone that hasn’t even been tested or reviewed. People jump in. They have to be first. They’ll sell like hot-cakes.

I just want it to be the same size and appearance as the Pro now..I don’t want smaller, and I don’t want the glossy look of the Air. It looks like a toy to me. I like the matte metal look to the Pro (platinum). Also, I really hope they continue to put the screen in the RC. I know a lot of people don’t care, but I have never owned a quad that wasn’t toy grade, that didn’t have a display on the remote giving me telemetry info. A new camera, fancy sensors, and new smart flight modes are icing on the cake.

I personally don't feel it will be underwhelming. With the new tech the Air packs, it will definitely be in the pro, and then some new stuff on top of that.

I consider the mavic air more as a spark pro. The name Mavic should be reserved for the occusync tech. As the mavic air only has wifi it should not be called mavic.
I expect to see an updated more expensive Mavic Pro this summe

I've said this before, the Mavic series denotes that it's a folding drone. Occusync is on several DJI drone models, it's not exclusive to the Mavic. This is speculation but I believe all folding drones from DJI will carry some form of the Mavic name. Like with some automakers where the 3 series is a compact hatchback, the 4 series is a 4 door compact, the 5 series is a coupe and the 6 series is a sedan with a secondary signifier the denotes the performance level. Like in the Phantom series where you have the standard, advanced, pro and pro+.

Reactions: Wizan

Interesting article. The only thing I don’t agree with is the need to make it smaller. I don’t want a drone the size of a can of Coke. I would ideally like the Mavic Pro II to stay the size of the current pro...Even if it’s slightly bigger I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I may be in the minority, but I don’t necessarily think that smaller is better in this case.

DJI has always been about incremental upgrades of existing products. They will likely add some of the features you want but certainly not all. I certainly expect the 100 mbits and rear sensors of the Air. Now that Autel is teasing 1" sensor, DJI will have to deliver the same or fall behind. You can be for sure that your existing controller and batteries won't work.

Reactions: christ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie