DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone use PhotoPills?

I use
Sun surveyor ‎Sun Surveyor (Sun & Moon)

Terrain radar altimeter 2

Aura Smart weather for drones

Those are my 3 go to apps before flying.
I also check UAV Forecast as well.

Terrain Radar sounds interesting... I shoot in mountainous/hilly terrain and it would be good to know their height.

Reactions: Advocate
Terrain Radar sounds interesting... I shoot in mountainous/hilly terrain and it would be good to know their height.
Its an amazing app. Simple. It does 1 thing extremely well. Takes 2 seconds and you know what to set your RTH to. All you do is point your phone in the direction your gonna fly scan from side to side and a graph will show you the elevation of anything in that direction. How high and in what direction in real time. And it knows how high above sea level you are so it gauges it from that. If you download the app you’ll be sitting in your house spinning in circles like wow look at how much higher the topography is on the left side than it is on the right lol

I don't see it in Play store, where did u get it?

I use PhotoPills a fair amount for landscape photography, but haven't tried it with my Mavic Air 2 yet. Also noticed the drone mode....

I'm happy with PhotoPills - it does take a couple of hours to get to a point that the interface is intuitive.

Howard

I use PhotoPills a fair amount for landscape photography, but haven't tried it with my Mavic Air 2 yet. Also noticed the drone mode....

I'm happy with PhotoPills - it does take a couple of hours to get to a point that the interface is intuitive.

Howard
I used this app for a long time. ‎Planit Pro: Photo Planner
It has a lot going on though. But does have an aerial photography option. And usually im out flying my drone and taking some me time because i got a lot goin on lol. So the ones i listed do exactly what there supposed to. Str8 to the point no filler. Thats why they progresed to the forefront leaving the others to be offloaded.

Howard

i read all about photo pills during my appp store tour for drone apps and if i didn’t land on a few winners i would have picked it up. It looks like the programmers keep up with it and do a great job. It looked like a great app!

I bought it a while back and still haven't invested the time to actually learn it but may force myself after just finding out it has a drone mode.
I have tried over and over to use Photo Pills. It is just too complex for me. I've watched the tutorials on You Tube too. Any other teaching sure you might recommend?

Reactions: Howard70
I have tried over and over to use Photo Pills. It is just too complex for me. I've watched the tutorials on You Tube too. Any other teaching sure you might recommend?
Hello Dale:

I found the pdf E-Book user guide helpful. It adds some structure to the other video-based tutorials. PhotoPills teaching strategy is a bit different (at least as they explain it): choose an outcome (frame moonset between objects for example) then learn how to accomplish that. Most of my difficulties with PhotoPills stem from occasional use. I learn how something works but then don’t use it for a month and then find I have to learn it all over again! Probably due more to my memory than problems with the application!

I’m typing this on my tablet and can’t figure out how to embed a link behind text so here is the link to download the user guide:

Howard

Yes, PhotoPills is a great and versatile application. I use it a lot for landscape photography with my Nikon D800 DSLR. Also for astrophotography. You can go into virtual reality mode, move your iPhone and see the position of the Milky Way and planets etc. Similar to SkyGuide in that respect. Have not yet used PhotoPhills for drone applications other than known where the sun will rise and set. The user guide link that Howard70 posted is a great one. The app does take a bit of time to
learn.
Steve B.
Tucson, AZ

I have it for DSLR and drone photography. It does have all the drone camera specs in the app for different things. Some things like Depth of Field and such there isn't much use in a fixed focus camera but the exposure charts, sun and moon parts can come in useful. It is a lot to learn but they are always putting out tutorials.

Thanks everyone, I'm a little like Dale... the time I did sit down to try to learn it I felt overwhelmed but it seems it will be worth the effort to learn how it works.
I live in a mountainous desert area with lots of interesting slot canyons and holes in giant rocks.
I'd love to know where the angles are to catch sunrise/sunsets...thanks again!

Thanks everyone, I'm a little like Dale... the time I did sit down to try to learn it I felt overwhelmed but it seems it will be worth the effort to learn how it works.
I live in a mountainous desert area with lots of interesting slot canyons and holes in giant rocks.
I'd love to know where the angles are to catch sunrise/sunsets...thanks again!
G.Randy Brown and I are the dummies here I guess. For the past 30 minutes I have been looking through the app and I downloaded the 253 e book. I tried to read it. I felt like I was back at the University of Michigan Physics class. E.g.: totally lost and at sea. Now mind you, I am a retired physician, I went to U. Illinois Pharmacy School and got a B.S. Pharmacy, then went to the the same University Medical School, got an M.D. degree and was on the dean's list. Then I did an eye surgery residency and practiced ocular surgery and medicine for 38 years. Photo Pills is harder! I finally gave up on it. I can find other things to occupy my time, like reading War and Peace or Dostoyevsky. The videos that come with the download go super fast. I cannot pause or freeze them fast enough. Terrible teaching. I would give these videos a D - (e.g.: D minus). The inventor and narrator is a terrible teacher too. All in all, I would summarize it by saying something un-publishable here like F... It!

Reactions: passedpawn
LOL Dale, I hear you my friend...I'm not as educated as you but I'm a college grad too and it shouldn't be harder than college ?
My problem is I have a lot of difficulty understanding his accent...that said, I will go thru the manual and see if I can catch enuf to make use of it.

hmm, maybe so...no worries, I prolly couldn't figure it out anyway ?
I already had Photo Pills gathering dust on my iPhone, so it is definitely available on IOS. I've made numerous attempts to use it, all to no avail. When I went to download the e-book I did it on my Apple iMAC (desktop). Cannot answer about android- android is like a foreign country for me.

I already had Photo Pills gathering dust on my iPhone, so it is definitely available on IOS. I've made numerous attempts to use it, all to no avail. When I went to download the e-book I did it on my Apple iMAC (desktop). Cannot answer about android- android is like a foreign country for me.
I believe advocate was referring to his 1st post Dale, where they were talking about other apps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada