DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

does cell phone have to have data access to control mavic pro2?

tatmanblue

Reactions
If I use a cell phone to control my mavic (as attached to the drone controller using the usb cable), will it work if the cell phone does not have data (aka Wifi or 4G LTE)?

Its a silly reason why I ask: I got a new cell phone and thought I might dedicate my old one for using the drone. But it will not have data since I removed it from my cell providers plan.

Thnx
Matt

No internet, no auto updates.
Disable auto update feature on your device.

Reactions: AMann
The only issue you might have, is that without Internet access, your cell phone won't be able to update the 'Maps' facility on the Go4 application. Therefore, if you want to use maps you'll have to set them up off-line before going to the flying area.
The RC controller flies the drone - and the Go4 app' is value-add and visuals ... Internet access is not mandatory - but is helpful.

Does the cell phone w/o data have the ability to connect to wireless network?

Does the cell phone w/o data have the ability to connect to wireless network?
yes and no. yes wireless is supported on the device. there are no public wifi networks around when I fly.

I thought of maybe making my data enabled cell phone a hotspot which would solve for that.

Thank you for asking this question. I am going to use my old cell phone for the drone with no cellular service.

What model phone? Too old of phones may have issues with video sometimes.
I use a 6s plus- its screen size is good for flying, a 6 is as old as uou should try as far as iPhones go.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent