DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does controller on the Mavic Air charge the cellphone?

Kim7894

Reactions
I was wondering if the controller charges the cellphone because my battery on controller goes down quickly. If so, how can I make it so it doesn’t charge the cellphone.

As for Android I have a galaxy s 9 + that when hooked up keeps beeping wanting to charge. So I'm not using it with my air but using a mini iPad. Until Samsung changes it which I dought will happen I'll keep using my iPad.

Is your cable authentic from Apple? From my personal experience, if I use a third party cable between my mavic air controller and my ipad/iphone, it will try to charge it instead of connect. When I swap that for an authentic apple cable, works perfectly and does NOT try to charge. Check your cable. Either use a high quality 3rd party cable designed for the task or the original authentic cable.

Another indicator I noticed was the the charging icon on the phone would appear then disappear while the third party cable was connected to the controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Wood
When I first plug my iPhone to my controller it shows that it’s charging for a quick second and once it connects it stops. It only does it for a split second. So I don’t think that the controller charges the iPhone.

Reactions: Cptrman
My apologies, I should of added that the charging indicator will continue to appear and disappear, not just a single time when you first plug in. That's what made me question my cable, even though it was brand new, it was a third party. Looked and felt just like an Apple cable then I noticed some small print on the head of the lightning side that was clearly not Apple.

My controller battery dies fast, I want to stop that. I did buy a power bank today. Will try that

Purchasing a power bank, while nice to have, won't actually get to the bottom of your issue. Your controller shouldn't be dying crazy fast like that. Basically I can think of two reason why this could be happening. As you mentioned above, your phone keeps trying to charge from your remote, clearly this would deplete your battery if it in fact is actually pulling a charge from the remote. In this case, check your cable like I mentioned above. Not all cables are made the same, not matter how similar they might look and feel. The second would be that your internal battery could be on the way out, this is less likely, but with millions of these things manufactured, there's bound to be a bad one out there.

Reactions: M_thoroughbred
My apologies, I should of added that the charging indicator will continue to appear and disappear, not just a single time when you first plug in. That's what made me question my cable, even though it was brand new, it was a third party. Looked and felt just like an Apple cable then I noticed some small print on the head of the lightning side that was clearly not Apple.

I’m new to this whole drone thing. But if you don’t mind may I suggest if you haven’t already done so change the cable to an Apple one or at least if you use a 3rd party let it be with the MFI stamp on the package. See if that makes a difference. I am using an Adam Element RC cable (Lightning to USB) which is sold at the DJI store and I haven’t had any problems. The Adam Element RC cable is braided and it’s L shaped in at the Lightning side. Hope you have a solution soon.
f312d0a3ad1ebfe9aa08c30cb3b1a768.jpg

Reactions: DeltaTango
I’m new to this whole drone thing. But if you don’t mind may I suggest if you haven’t already done so change the cable to an Apple one or at least if you use a 3rd party let it be with the MFI stamp on the package. See if that makes a difference. I am using an Adam Element RC cable (Lightning to USB) which is sold at the DJI store and I haven’t had any problems. Hope you have a solution soon.
HA, I was actually helping to answer the creator of this question at the very top, not having the issue myself. If you read my first comment you'll notice that I suggested the very same, check the cable. Well @Kim7894, there you go, myself and @M_thoroughbred both suggest checking your cable, there's a high probability that's culprit.. LIke @Kim7894 mentioned, some 3rd party cables will work fine, others won't, it's all in the quality.

Reactions: M_thoroughbred
I typically try to avoid 3rd party chargers, cables and batteries if it’s not from/or endorsed by the manufacturer. Keep us informed on your progress and the solution that resolved your problem that way others can be informed including myself.

I had to tweak android os "developer mode" to resolve rc energizing android.
By right the apk should ask you about it without developer mode.
S8 & S10plus responded this way stock under v4.3.8 also 4.3.12 but dunno about higher android apk versions.
Alternatively, if permissible in your os, pulldown os notif and select usb mode of connect to select media files transfer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy