DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI calibrated the Mavic?

macoman

Reactions
Today I tested for the first time since purchased, the Mavic Pro platinum and to my surprise; only asked me to update the firmware and didn't need to be calibrated it. It flew perfectly and stable. Love my Mavic!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe, but who knows what happened during shipping or if the calibration was even done, or done properly. It's also probably a good idea to calibrate after a firmware update - compass, imu, gimbal. Why take a chance on a new aircraft. It only takes a couple of minutes. Don't depend on the app to ask you to do things.

Reactions: ToddR
Maybe, but who knows what happened during shipping or if the calibration was even done, or done properly. It's also probably a good idea to calibrate after a firmware update - compass, imu, gimbal. Why take a chance on a new aircraft. It only takes a couple of minutes. Don't depend on the app to ask you to do things.
This is the Mavic, not a cheap drone. The Mavic have so many sensors already optimized that I think it is not a necessity to calibrated it. Like I said before, the aircraft was behaving extremely well. I had before a phantom 3 standard and trust me... This is not the same type of aircraft. The Mavic its really a piece of marvel engineering.

Reactions: dewster
This is the Mavic, not a cheap drone. The Mavic have so many sensors already optimized that I think it is not a necessity to calibrated it. Like I said before, the aircraft was behaving extremely well. I had before a phantom 3 standard and trust me... This is not the same type of aircraft. The Mavic its really a piece of marvel engineering.
First time out of the box I would absolutely calibrate everything. Has traveled a long distance make a difference for you flying do two variances in the magnetic fields and stuff like that. But if you choose not to you may want to keep an eye on that the headings look correct on the DJI Go app as to your actual facing headings.

First time out of the box I would absolutely calibrate everything. Has traveled a long distance make a difference for you flying do two variances in the magnetic fields and stuff like that. But if you choose not to you may want to keep an eye on that the headings look correct on the DJI Go app as to your actual facing headings.
That's what I am saying... Not warnings while I took it off hovering for a minute... Perfectly steady and calm. I was actually surprised about it. Them I took it off far away and was still calm and stable. Unlike previous DJI aircrafts, the Mavic is just an amazing quality aircraft. I have not tested the phantom 4 series but I assumed that they are also marvel aircrafts too.

Why ruin a good calibration? My Mavic was delivered in March 2017. The compass and IMU have never been calibrated by me and the drone has flown faultlessly. The compass is very easily mis calibrated. You only need to be wearing a steel belt buckle or have change in your pocket and the compasses (there are 2) could be influenced and a bad calibration set on the drone.

Why ruin a good calibration? My Mavic was delivered in March 2017. The compass and IMU have never been calibrated by me and the drone has flown faultlessly. The compass is very easily mis calibrated. You only need to be wearing a steel belt buckle or have change in your pocket and the compasses (there are 2) could be influenced and a bad calibration set on the drone.

The compass is the one thing I would definitely calibrate. If DJI did calibrate the compass, it would have been in a factory in southern China. Because the output of a magnetic compass is highly dependant on the location on Earth a fresh compass calibration is probably a good idea. It is also recommended by DJI and other to re-calibrate the compass when flying at a location far away (500km) from the original calibration.

the IMU and gimbal are not location dependant. If they are calibrated propperly in the factory they should be good to go anywhere.

The compass is the one thing I would definitely calibrate. If DJI did calibrate the compass, it would have been in a factory in southern China. Because the output of a magnetic compass is highly dependant on the location on Earth a fresh compass calibration is probably a good idea. It is also recommended by DJI and other to re-calibrate the compass when flying at a location far away (500km) from the original calibration.

the IMU and gimbal are not location dependant. If they are calibrated propperly in the factory they should be good to go anywhere.
Alrighty, will calibrate on my next trip to the park!

Reactions: macoman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242