DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI ever add features after SDK is released

kjmasson

Reactions
Does DJI ever release new features in a firmware update after the SDK is released based on new features implemented by 3rd party apps? Or is DJI pretty much done with MM features at this points and leaves it up to 3rd parties to implement?

Reactions: CroatianMavic
Does DJI ever release new features in a firmware update after the SDK is released based on new features implemented by 3rd party apps? Or is DJI pretty much done with MM features at this points and leaves it up to 3rd parties to implement?
Yes

Reactions: kjmasson

My question is, will yesterdays SDK release move us any closer to being able to use Litchi with the Mavic Mini.

I must admit I am loosing track a bit ;) To be honnest, I couldn't figured out what SDK really is or stands for... Is it the company that releases Litchi? And is Litchi replacing the firmware in the MM without keeping the ability to go back to the original firmware?

I must admit I am loosing track a bit ;) To be honnest, I couldn't figured out what SDK really is or stands for... Is it the company that releases Litchi? And is Litchi replacing the firmware in the MM without keeping the ability to go back to the original firmware?
Litchi does not replace any firmware.
SDK = Software Development Kit which is basically a few libraries that let you control the drone.
The issue is the MM does not support on board waypoints saved in the drone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ronny St.
Based on various threads in various places, it sounds like the lack of waypoint support for the Mavic Mini in yesterday's SDK release will be a problem for Litchi, but not for Dronelink.

Yes, on the Litchi Facebook page, they have confirmed that they cannot support waypoints or orbit mode with this SDK. They can't support Active Track, either, but lots of users will be happy that they will support their GPS-based version of Follow (because it runs in the app rather than in the drone), and a Track mode that keeps the camera pointed at a target from a stationary position as it moves or as you manually fly the drone, plus very useful features like course lock, home lock, and tap-to-fly.

But I'm ecstatic that Dronelink will support waypoints! I may keep the Mini after all! :D

Reactions: coneslayer
Anyone has experience with this Dronelink app? I did not even know it’s existence until now.

Anyone has experience with this Dronelink app? I did not even know it’s existence until now.
It's free though you can pay, and it is very nice. They have tons of video lessons too.
Like all new things you will need to learn new ways.
Also very active support so if you have questions they will get answered.

Edit: Not free anymore one time 20..00 payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Litchi does not replace any firmware.
SDK = Software Development Kit which is basically a few libraries that let you control the drone.
The issue is the MM does not support on waypoints saved in the drone.
Thanks for explaining! Now I see the abbreviation 'SC' in the post above and found 324 meanings in the abbreviation library...
Is Dronelink or Litchi recommended to install or not? I do not want to get into trouble with my MM and found on the internet site no mentioning of the Mavic Mini being supported ;)

Thanks for explaining! Now I see the abbreviation 'SC' in the post above and found 324 meanings in the abbreviation library...
Is Dronelink or Litchi recommended to install or not? I do not want to get into trouble with my MM and found on the internet site no mentioning of the Mavic Mini being supported ;)
Perhaps wait until 3rd party apps like Dronelink and Litchi actually develop and release versions of their software that support the Mini?

SC = Smart controller, DJI's fancy controller with a built in screen that works with their larger more expensive drones. It doesn't work with the Mini.

Reactions: Ronny St.
I've just watched the Dronelink tutorials, and it looks awesome! The mission planner is actually a web-based app, so not only can you do the plans in advance, you can do them from a PC. That does mean you'll need internet on your phone or tablet to download the missions to the app when you run it, but I'm okay with that. It's got a ton of features to define very complex missions, e.g. it's trivial to create a plan that has the drone spiral up around a tall building or tower, and there's a Map mode that automatically lays out a path to do aerial mapping over a given area. One really nice feature is that after you create a mission, you can preview it in Google Earth, which makes it much more likely that you'll get exactly what you want when you run it. It does appear that the Hobby license is no longer free: it's $20, but that's not bad at all considering that it takes the Mini out of the Expensive Toy category and makes it a useful camera platform.

Reactions: Erk469 and scro
Perhaps wait until 3rd party apps like Dronelink and Litchi actually develop and release versions of their software that support the Mini?

SC = Smart controller, DJI's fancy controller with a built in screen that works with their larger more expensive drones. It doesn't work with the Mini.
I will wait and follow what is being posted here before doing things I might regret ;)

Reactions: scro
I've just watched the Dronelink tutorials, and it looks awesome! The mission planner is actually a web-based app, so not only can you do the plans in advance, you can do them from a PC. That does mean you'll need internet on your phone or tablet to download the missions to the app when you run it, but I'm okay with that. It's got a ton of features to define very complex missions, e.g. it's trivial to create a plan that has the drone spiral up around a tall building or tower, and there's a Map mode that automatically lays out a path to do aerial mapping over a given area. One really nice feature is that after you create a mission, you can preview it in Google Earth, which makes it much more likely that you'll get exactly what you want when you run it. It does appear that the Hobby license is no longer free: it's $20, but that's not bad at all considering that it takes the Mini out of the Expensive Toy category and makes it a useful camera platform.
You can download the mission before you leave home and have it on your device.
The guy that wrote this is the same guy that wrote the original auto pilot application. He really knows what he’s doing and understands the application domain quite well
I paid for the pro license even though I don’t really use it professionally just to support the project.
Also once you have the license you can use it just about anywhere without having to be limited to one device or another. At least that’s how it used to be

Reactions: Mrveronn
Based on various threads in various places, it sounds like the lack of waypoint support for the Mavic Mini in yesterday's SDK release will be a problem for Litchi, but not for Dronelink.

This is the best news I have heard about the long awaited release of the SDK, was pretty gutted to be honest about lack of Waypoint support in Litchi but smile back on my dial if Dronelink can deliver. Only difference seems to be Waypoints are based on signal being received from Controller but if that fails drone will just RTH as per settings, as opposed to being onboard the drone so even if signal lost can still complete mission. I can live with that!

This is the best news I have heard about the long awaited release of the SDK, was pretty gutted to be honest about lack of Waypoint support in Litchi but smile back on my dial if Dronelink can deliver. Only difference seems to be Waypoints are based on signal being received from Controller but if that fails drone will just RTH as per settings, as opposed to being onboard the drone so even if signal lost can still complete mission. I can live with that!
I saw your post on the Dronelink forum and you’re right. They will get a bunch of Mavic mini customers. I think more people would use it if they knew about it

Its too bad that it costs 20 for the dronelink. It would be nice to have some basic feature for free and the ability to upgrade to premium features.

Its too bad that it costs 20 for the dronelink. It would be nice to have some basic feature for free and the ability to upgrade to premium features.
Hobbyists are not at all part of his business model. His customer base is companies for which he customizes it for.
If there is not 20 dollars, the cost of lunch for 2 at Mickey-Ds, worth of value in it for you then for sure don't go for it.
The cost of having multiple versions both in development time and inconvenience (for him) is not worth it.
What's more he has to pay to store your missions in your repository which is one of the great features, so it is only fair to pay a one time fee.
Having said that you are missing out on a well crafted program.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143