DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI prevent takeoff in an auth zone?

gerard143

Reactions
For example.... close to the airports it’s a restricted zone. The flight path for landing a bit away from the airport is an auth zone. Curious if the software actually disallows flying in these auth zones and prevents takeoff as well?

a2c6707a24c0cce33b055e605b56a370.jpg

Here is two zone types.

What exactly do these mean (assume first requires airport auth to fly)and is flight automatically prevented in these zone types.

I figured it’s best to be educated on this stuff.

9fdfaf1ea31bb4a217348a9549396a89.jpg

4e19774383bbe52bb8c95a1b4dd5ab0f.jpg

So what exactly is automatically limited in a blue auth zone?

From what I have found, you cannot take off from a blue authorization zone without applying for and receiving a license from DJI. You should also call the airport and notify them of your planned flight. If you do have a license, it will set up a circle on Go 4 in the area you want to fly. You get to choose the size of the circle when you apply. Other than that, you also have to follow all FAA rules which are on their website.

Thanks for the info Dwolfe but how and where you can apply on DJI to get your licence to fly in blue area?

Interesting comments. I do follow the FAA regs when I fly, just to be clear and I am running the current DJI apps/updates on all devices.
Perhaps they have overstepped. My yard (1.5 acres) is in the last 500 ft of a no fly zone. I use AirMap app on my phone to request LAANC clearance and have never had a problem or failure to fly.

Maybe there’s a trick to it that I just lucked into some setting.

Thanks for the info Dwolfe but how and where you can apply on DJI to get your licence to fly in blue area?
I just did this yesterday.

If it's an authorization zone you can apply and receive authorization from the DJI Go 4 app. You'll need to be logged into your DJI account and have an internet connection. I clicked through a couple of screens, entered my cellphone number and I was immediately texted a 6-digit unlock code.

I just did this yesterday.

If it's an authorization zone you can apply and receive authorization from the DJI Go 4 app. You'll need to be logged into your DJI account and have an internet connection. I clicked through a couple of screens, entered my cellphone number and I was immediately texted a 6-digit unlock code.
Interesting. Does DJI request from, or advise the airport, etc?

Interesting. Does DJI request from, or advise the airport, etc?
No, you need to advise the airport on your own. Basically the DJI system is a liability waiver where you state that you're abiding by the rules before the flight is unlocked. By requiring a verified account and cellphone number they can identify who you are, should the need arise.

Reactions: Thomas B
...Basically the DJI system is a liability waiver where you state that you're abiding by the rules before the flight is unlocked. By requiring a verified account and cellphone number they can identify who you are, should the need arise.
That makes complete sense. A place to evade litigation, or at least have a plausible defense.

These always make me nervous. If you're mid flight and you enter a no fly zone - does the geofence stop you from flying into it, reverse back out of it, or just immediately land?

I fly over water pretty often and always worry that it's going to force an auto land into water if I fly a few feet too far in the wrong direction.

That makes complete sense. A place to evade litigation, or at least have a plausible defense.
And if you're a responsible pilot you can fly without waiting weeks for DJI to give you an unlock at a certain day and time.

In my case, I was flying a mile or so from an international airport, but almost 90 degrees to the side of the runway approaches. I was also down in a valley where even at the highest altitude I wanted to fly, I was well below the elevation of the airport. I did talk to the ATC manager and he said if an airplane was at the altitude I was at, my drone was the least of their worries.

So, clicking a few boxes meant I was up and flying in about 30 seconds.

Thanks for the info Dwolfe but how and where you can apply on DJI to get your licence to fly in blue area?[/QUOTE

You have to apply for a license in the flysafe area on the DJI web page. There are two ways to do that. Depends on whether you have an internet connection where you will be flying. If not, you can apply on your computer, tablet, or phone at home and download it in the DJI Go 4 app before you leave the house. The only one I have applied for, I had to do at home because of no internet connection. I finally had to reload the app to get the license on the ipad and transfer it to the aircraft. Also, make sure you turn the license off before you leave the area. Caused me not to be able to fly at home because I forgot to turn it off.

Just as FYI, it has been reported here that an analysis of the opaque blue no fly areas is the result of several temporary NFZs related to game day at a stadium overlying each other and thus appear opaque. That is one per game day all at once! Poor software programming by DJI techs. This may explain all these areas on all the posts about them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929