DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does logic not apply here?

flying_outcast

Reactions
Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be the other way around. Like 1080feed (HD mode) should use higher maps than 720(normal mode)??

What is this? explain like I'm 5...

0aa7673119f947f5b2aced2f7e563145.jpg

a677b20836dc5debdc070a0a6d78b721.jpg

2dfb67b34c8360d1ed1b5bb57c4206bc.jpg

Bitrate constantly changes based on content. If you don't move it falls down since no content is changing.

Bitrate constantly changes based on content. If you don't move it falls down since no content is changing.

Yes. But these screenshots are taken under exactly the same circumstances one after each other. And normal is always higher than HD in my phone.... Isn't that weird? I started monitoring it because of leggy video in normal. When I switch to HD it's no lag whatsoever.

Reactions: Mr Spock
Where do you get the information that normal is 720p?

Where do you get the information that normal is 720p?

I think I'm not talking out of my ***, I read it somewhere.... At least normal is in lower res than HD. That's the only think I'm willing to put my bet on.. [emoji3]

I've only ever seen 2 options in there, not 3. Their names have changed a few times though.
If there are now 3 it's one more of those new undocumented changes. Maybe the high frame rate 720p meant for the upcoming goggles.

I've only ever seen 2 options in there, not 3. Their names have changed a few times though.
If there are now 3 it's one more of those new undocumented changes. Maybe the high frame rate 720p meant for the upcoming goggles.

As I understand it, the "smooth" would have been "auto" in other parts of the galaxy.. Thats what it is, the resolution changes if it isn't showing performance required....
But as you might guess, doesn't work!

Who's gonna take one for the team and contact dji and ask what this goofy bitrate phenomenon meens?
In not in the mood, and simply don't think I'm mentally stable enough to deal with "customer care" ‍♂️ lol

Seeing the framerate notice on the Smooth screenshot it actually makes sense that Normal would be the usual 720p30, HD the usual 1080p30, and Smooth the new high framerate low latency 720p at 96 or so FPS for goggles use.

I don't give a **** about the bitrate, so not me. 1080 does show a little more detail by experience and it's all that matters. For all we know it could simply be a display bug.

Seeing the framerate notice on the Smooth screenshot it actually makes sense that Normal would be the usual 720p30, HD the usual 1080p30, and Smooth the new high framerate low latency 720p at 96 or so FPS for goggles use.

I don't give a **** about the bitrate, so not me. 1080 does show a little more detail by experience and it's all that matters. For all we know it could simply be a display bug.

The reason I noticed this is that normal (default) was lagging to the point the feed was useless at all. So I changed to HD and notice this.

I found it didn't make any sense that the bitrate where lower when more data were being transfered (here we might take into count my lack of knowledge on this matter, that's why I asked)
After several flight I ca confirm there is absolutely no lag in HD. But when I use that I have to give up recording in higher resolution. That bothers me to have to choose between video feed when recording or actually recording [emoji106]

But what you're saying makes total sens.

From DJI: In HD Mode, the resolution of video transmission footage reaches 1080p/30fps for near field, lowering to 720p/30fps for far field or when affected by interference.

So, depending on the quality of the video downlink signal, HD mode will switch to 720p, reducing the bit rate if the quality of the video downlink decreases. My guess is if you came in closer, you would see an increase in the bitrate in HD mode.

Reactions: hanshaw
From DJI: In HD Mode, the resolution of video transmission footage reaches 1080p/30fps for near field, lowering to 720p/30fps for far field or when affected by interference.

So, depending on the quality of the video downlink signal, HD mode will switch to 720p, reducing the bit rate if the quality of the video downlink decreases. My guess is if you came in closer, you would see an increase in the bitrate in HD mode.

I couldn't possibly be closer than on the ground next to it.... Except in a hug of course.

Good to hug your Mavic at least once a day. I know I do haha.

I'll play around with my settings when I go flying tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Reactions: flying_outcast
OK, I messed around - didn't go droning so I just tried all 3 modes, and basically got the same weird result you did - HD, according to DJI Go, uses less bandwidth than Normal mode.

I looked at the bandwidth and cached movies from each mode. Normal mode gives a 720p movie, and uses about 10Mbps. HD gives a 1080p movie, and uses much less bandwidth, 2 Mbps or so. Smooth mode seemed the same as Normal mode, and resulted in a 720p cached movie.

Smooth mode was designed for the goggles and 720p won't cut it for very long.

The Mbps depended on the subject matter - pointing at dimly lit subjects used more bandwidth than well-lit, which is probably due to the higher noise level as the ISO is boosted. Lag was on the order of 250-500 ms, the same for all three modes.

My favorite theory right now is that DJI Go's bandwidth numbers are just wrong. DJI Go will tell you the pixel size of the cached videos, but not much else. I couldn't tell what the file size, fps, or bitrate of the captured videos was, IOS makes that kind of difficult. I might follow up with a similar test on android, where I can get direct access to the video files and use some standard tools to see if the bandwidth numbers match what DJI Go is showing.

Anyway, interesting problem you came up with, outcast.

OK, I messed around - didn't go droning so I just tried all 3 modes, and basically got the same weird result you did - HD, according to DJI Go, uses less bandwidth than Normal mode.

I looked at the bandwidth and cached movies from each mode. Normal mode gives a 720p movie, and uses about 10Mbps. HD gives a 1080p movie, and uses much less bandwidth, 2 Mbps or so. Smooth mode seemed the same as Normal mode, and resulted in a 720p cached movie.

Smooth mode was designed for the goggles and 720p won't cut it for very long.

The Mbps depended on the subject matter - pointing at dimly lit subjects used more bandwidth than well-lit, which is probably due to the higher noise level as the ISO is boosted. Lag was on the order of 250-500 ms, the same for all three modes.

My favorite theory right now is that DJI Go's bandwidth numbers are just wrong. DJI Go will tell you the pixel size of the cached videos, but not much else. I couldn't tell what the file size, fps, or bitrate of the captured videos was, IOS makes that kind of difficult. I might follow up with a similar test on android, where I can get direct access to the video files and use some standard tools to see if the bandwidth numbers match what DJI Go is showing.

Anyway, interesting problem you came up with, outcast.

Just had a talk with dji, and it simply strengthen my thoughts that they have no idea why it is or if this should be this way. In fact this guy even said he'd never heard of this before and Noone that he was asking about the problem..

I think there is simply a bug and normal my dear is demanding alot bigger pipeline than it should. That would explain the amount of users complaining about lag on their feed.....

But this is me speaking out of my rear end since this are guessess made out of my mind after that talk....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rnl and geigy
I noticed it before, higher bitrates for apparently lower res (you'd think it would be the other way around to keep up). Never figured it out. I wanted 1080p streaming and caching, but was told someplace that the live feed is smoother at longer ranges with 720 and I decided that this reliability was more important, but never tested it.

I also remember seeing someplace where you could select 2.4 ghz or 5.8 ghz, and manually set the channel, but now I can't seem to find it (maybe firmware update, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place anymore).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98