DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does MA2 have Remote ID?

Vaideeshwar

Reactions
Curious and will be hugely relieved to know that I wouldn't have to retire my drone in a few years.

Inside the DJI Fly app, if you go into settings->safety, there is a setting named "Remote ID". Under that setting, there is an option named "UUID" which is, by default, turned on before every flight (you have the liberty to toggle it off). I know that the MM does not have this showing.

Does this mean that the MA2 has hardware installed in the aircraft to allow remote identification once the government starts pushing hard on this rule?

It has the capability to meet DJI's version of remote ID. The FAA has not finalized the requirements of how remote id will actually work and where the data goes, so there is no way to know for certain if it will work. It seems very likely that it will work in the future providing DJI does an update to send the data where it needs to go.

It has the capability to meet DJI's version of remote ID. The FAA has not finalized the requirements of how remote id will actually work and where the data goes, so there is no way to know for certain if it will work. It seems very likely that it will work in the future providing DJI does an update to send the data where it needs to go.
Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Doesnt DJI already offer a remote ID service called Aeroscope or something like that, where if that system is installed say at an airport, they can see the location of any DJI drones flying near by as well as where the pilot is?

This isn’t a new thing you can also do this in Go4 on the Spark, and all other Mavic Minis. It’s not the same thing that governments are asking for.

So the bottom line is, would you purchase the MA2 as my first drone and hope that the RID in this drone will be compatible to the FAA rules when the time comes Or would you hold off until maybe 2023 to be sure what is happening with the RID and the MA2

The RID beacon itself is probably obtainable through firmware, but the question is also RC location to comply with type 1 requirements. The actual RC doesn't have GPS or any other type of location services. It relies on user provided mobile device which might not have the necessary hardware.
Perhaps if the mobile device doesn't have the necessary hardware, RID will fall back to type 2 compliance.

Granted, I'm playing catch up on this topic but looking I'm running the latest Fly App and firmware as of April 11, 2021 and I found this in the Fly app settings. Does anyone know if this complies with the new FAA rules?

Fly App Remote ID.jpg

Bummer ☹! But it least give me hope that a firmware update could make us compliant ?...
Maybe, maybe not. As I understand it, the underlying tech is different. It may be possible that a firmware change could work, but I’m not sure if the tech is there to broadcast the location of the pilot or to make sure it cannot be turned off and will stop the drone from flight if the RID goes inop.

Reactions: gamayun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest