DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic usage raise billable hours for limited bandwidth

Jackson TB

Reactions
I am living in a poorly serviced area for internet. I am with Bell on a cellular tower. When I exceed my 70gb monthly limit, I get soaked an extra $10 per Gb. When I use my new Mavic Pro, will the transmitted data register as internet usage, even though the usage is internal.

The only data the DJI Go 4 app uses is to cache map data and some other small amounts of data to sync flight logs. Video transmission back and forth between the drone and your device do not go through your cellular connection.

I should clarify.
Hi speed wired internet is not available. Bell supplied a wireless modem/router. It connects to hi speed internet using bell cell phone towers. It's pricey but slow on holidays when people flock to their cottages. Sometimes on those periods, it will timeout (unavailable).
With my internet this busy, will I still have normal video using the mavic on say, a nexus 7 tablet. And still have good range of signal?

Last edited:
Yes again the signals transferred to and from your mavic are not going through your cellular data. The radio controller communicates with the mavic using its own wireless system and then sends it to your phone through the USB cable.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The app does use some data 'chatting' with DJI servers even when not in use.
That's how they manage to bombard you with adverts for example.
You might force stop it if a few KBs is important.
After that consider firewall apps.

Thanks for that reassuring info, We are presently looking for a better ISP, we cannot use Netflix
et al because of the data transfer limit, and the punitive cost of exceeding the Ma Bell limit.
I have been reading up on the video transmitter, and this video signal is at a frequency 2.4 - 2.483 ghz, which is digitized for quality and less interference from the cellphones, garage door openers, baby monitors etc which share this frequency range. So all those who bought FPV VR headsets or expensive shark goggles (which use a 5 .8 ghz range) cannot pick up this signal?
That's a bummer. I would like to share the FPV live experience with others.
Is there a way to do this economically?

My parents used to live in an area like yours. It’s definitely a hassle. There is Hughes Net which uses satellite data transfer. It’s intended for remote areas like yours. You get a satellite transceiver to connect to. It’s not available everywhere but you could check for your area. As far as uploading, I’d there a Starbucks or other public WiFi such as a library somewhere close by? You could upload there. The WiFi in those places is not lighting fast, but it’s free, with coffee.

Airplane mode will remove all doubt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair