DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does RTH altitude changes when Home is changed?

Anjulis

Reactions
1. I take off from a high point. RTH altitude is set to 30m. Delivering a small load taped to the top.
2. I land about 2 miles out, 150 feet below my takeoff point. Shutdown to allow recipient to retrieve the load.
3. Takeoff, switch Home point to me, hit RTH.

Will RTH altitude switch to 30m above my location (the current home point) or will it be 30m above the takeoff?
Must I first climb to 30m above my altitude before hitting RTH?

The RTH Altitude can be manually changed at any point during the flight. If you don't change it, then it'll remain at the current setting for the entire flight. Setting or resetting the home point does not change the RTH Altitude setting.

When RTH is initiated, your Mavic will climb to the RTH Altitude before returning home. For example, if you have the RTH Altitude set to 30m and DJI GO is currently showing your Mavic is at an altitude of 10m, your Mavic will climb 20m before returning to the home point. If DJI GO is currently showing your Mavic is at an altitude of -10m (because it flew below the takeoff point), then it'll climb up to 0m and then up to 30m before returning to the home point.

The RTH Altitude can be manually changed at any point during the flight. If you don't change it, then it'll remain at the current setting for the entire flight. Setting or resetting the home point does not change the RTH Altitude setting.

When RTH is initiated, your Mavic will climb to the RTH Altitude before returning home. For example, if you have the RTH Altitude set to 30m and DJI GO is currently showing your Mavic is at an altitude of 10m, your Mavic will climb 20m before returning to the home point. If DJI GO is currently showing your Mavic is at an altitude of -10m (because it flew below the takeoff point), then it'll climb up to 0m and then up to 30m before returning to the home point.

Thank you. Since, in my example, I have to shutdown, the altitude will be measured from the new takeoff point, -30m will become 0, so I must manually change the RTH, correct?

Reactions: MountainMan2017
I would not use the mavic to carry any loads by the way. And there's a strong chance that if you land you'll lose signal to the Mavic, in which case it will just sit there and not takeoff or RTH.

If you are flying out of line of site you are taking a big chance of losing signal. Once you land it may be the last time you see it.

Since, in my example, I have to shutdown, the altitude will be measured from the new takeoff point, -30m will become 0, so I must manually change the RTH, correct?
Turning the motors off and back on will not reset the current altitude in DJI GO. You'd need to power off your Mavic and power it back on (which isn't possible).

I would not use the mavic to carry any loads by the way.
[/QOUTE]

Why? I have done it several times without any problems. The heaviest has been a chocolate bar. Mavic seems to not even notice it.

>>And there's a strong chance that if you land you'll lose signal to the Mavic, in which case it will just sit there and not takeoff or RTH.

It is would not be a big deal since there is a receipient at another end. But so far if I have a signal during landing it does not disappear after shutdown.

Reactions: Vandraiss
Turning the motors off and back on will not reset the current altitude in DJI GO. You'd need to power off your Mavic and power it back on (which isn't possible).

Interesting. Thank you. Will the Home point change?

Will the Home point change?
When I last tested that last November, the home point auto updated after I landed in a different spot, stopped the motors, and restarted them. I'm not aware of any changes made to that behavior, so you should find the same if you try it.

When I last tested that last November, the home point auto updated after I landed in a different spot, stopped the motors, and restarted them. I'm not aware of any changes made to that behavior, so you should find the same if you try it.
Home Point auto updated after landing, stopped the motors, and restarted them. Altitude also goes to 0.

@Anjulis, using firmware 1.04.0100, I ran another test today and found the same thing @Porto described above.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus