DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the air have any radar and can detect airplanes ?

crucx

Reactions
Hey. Does the mavic air has any radar feature or something where it could show me a warning that a plane is nearby ?
I am living in a village and like 30 minutes away from here, there is a military airport. According GEO Zones i am still able to fly but not higher than 120 meters (thats what the app tells me).
I dont think its legit to fly over 100 meters high anyways in germany, so i dont know why it shows 120m instead 100m.

Anyways. I went out just now in a bigger park and started flying. Like all 3 minutes i saw a plane flying.. i was really scared. In the last minutes when i wanted to fly back, i was at 90 meters high and HOLY, there was a plane like 20-50 meters above my drone. It almost hit my drone but it was like 100 meters far but the height of the plane was almost like my drone... i started lowering the heights of my drone and below my drone there was a huge TREE but i had no choice... the plane was coming closer and i knew it will hit my drone if i wont take this risk and fly lower even if i would crash in the tree.
I didn't know if i can decrease my drones altitude fast enough. I had like 10% battery left and i turned on sports mode (i had to really). I was really lucky. I made it. I flew forward (to the starting point) and at same time i lowered heights so i didn't hit the tree and the plane could pass.

This example is really why i ask for a radar.Does a radar exist ? or any app that shows really ALL planes in my surrounding and no ghost planes ? haha

No

FWIW the DJI Nanny App seldom has any basis in reality when it comes to local regulations outside of the US. It's more of a CYOA for them than anything else.

Bear in mind also, due to the size difference the aircraft may have looked much closer than it actually was.

My friend lives on the final approach to one of the UK airports and I thought the plays were 200-300’ above his house. He assured my they were somewhat higher at 800-1000’.

I know airplanes look sometimes they were to close. But this airplane was REALLY close. The plane was keep flying higher, it just started basically which explains why it was flying so low.

Is there really no app or anything that i could do / use in order to check for planes before flying ? This is really sad

That was what i was looking for. I guess it needs internet connection but i gonna buy internet flat for my sim card so i am twice safe. I hope it really shows all planes in my location and dont misses any other plane (which i call ghost planes XD)

As I wrote, it shows those aircraft who has a transponder and transmitting their position, all aircrafts doesn’t. Small privat civilian might not have it, also included military might not have it. Some helis too I suspect.

Reactions: crucx
NO!

DJI will be equipping models released after Jan 2020 with AirSense. Until you upgrade to one of those models, something like FlightRadar24 is your best bet.

Hey. Does the mavic air has any radar feature or something where it could show me a warning that a plane is nearby ?
I am living in a village and like 30 minutes away from here, there is a military airport. According GEO Zones i am still able to fly but not higher than 120 meters (thats what the app tells me).
I dont think its legit to fly over 100 meters high anyways in germany, so i dont know why it shows 120m instead 100m.

Anyways. I went out just now in a bigger park and started flying. Like all 3 minutes i saw a plane flying.. i was really scared. In the last minutes when i wanted to fly back, i was at 90 meters high and HOLY, there was a plane like 20-50 meters above my drone. It almost hit my drone but it was like 100 meters far but the height of the plane was almost like my drone... i started lowering the heights of my drone and below my drone there was a huge TREE but i had no choice... the plane was coming closer and i knew it will hit my drone if i wont take this risk and fly lower even if i would crash in the tree.
I didn't know if i can decrease my drones altitude fast enough. I had like 10% battery left and i turned on sports mode (i had to really). I was really lucky. I made it. I flew forward (to the starting point) and at same time i lowered heights so i didn't hit the tree and the plane could pass.

This example is really why i ask for a radar.Does a radar exist ? or any app that shows really ALL planes in my surrounding and no ghost planes ? haha

Related in a way - I came across Military low flying which states that RAF (here in UK) in their TTA (Tactical Training Areas) can fly as low as 100-250ft on certain specified training-missions. I can well believe (as suspected) that we're slap-bang in middle of their training-routes here in deepest Northumberland (my MA goes wayyyy higher to it's default-restricted 400ft as/when I choose - and when they pass over....you know about it :mad:. Luckily no close-calls (yet). Reckon it's all for a good cause etc etc... but sometimes I just wish we'd stayed in the Big City :confused: I assume there may be something similar in Germany to forewarn you ?

Reactions: crucx
DJI will be equipping models released after Jan 2020 with AirSense. Until you upgrade to one of those models, something like FlightRadar24 is your best bet.
Although Flightradar24 is very interesting, it isn't much practical use for drone flying.
Flightradar will show all the big airliners and other commercial planes that are up very high and not causing any issues for drone flyers.
But it doesn't show many of the light aircraft down closer to the ground or military aircraft.
Flightradar gives a false sense of safety without really doing what you hope it does.

Although Flightradar24 is very interesting, it isn't much practical use for drone flying.
Flightradar will show all the big airliners and other commercial planes that are up very high and not causing any issues for drone flyers.
But it doesn't show many of the light aircraft down closer to the ground or military aircraft.
Flightradar gives a false sense of safety without really doing what you hope it does.
It does here the only thing it doesn’t show is military I mostly watch for the smaller planes and helps in fact the other day I was in my back yard when almost instantly a passenger airliner (delta) flew overhead in a pattern I hav never seem and loud as all hell so when I went and check on flightradar24 it was only 200 feet high bank towards Logan international airport only 10 miles away.(Boston Ma)

It does here the only thing it doesn’t show is military I mostly watch for the smaller planes and helps in fact the other day I was in my back yard when almost instantly a passenger airliner (delta) flew overhead in a pattern I hav never seem and loud as all hell so when I went and check on flightradar24 it was only 200 feet high bank towards Logan international airport only 10 miles away.(Boston Ma)

There is no way a Delta airliner was 200 AGL over 10 miles away from an airport. If FlightRadar24 was showing that, it was a case of bad data.

There is no way a Delta airliner was 200 AGL over 10 miles away from an airport. If FlightRadar24 was showing that, it was a case of bad data.
As the crow flies probably six I’m telling you I could read the lettering on the belly of the plane even without my glasses and usually I cann barely see the plane without them. It was so loud it scared the shite out of me I went in house to see if there was any type of emergency situation going on. I have lived here twenty years and I am direct landing path. Most patches are always west to east I can see them lined up for miles. This plane came out of the east flying west and hard banking to the south right towards airport. At what point would it normally be 200 feet high eventually at some point a landing plane has to be at that height . It’s what the app said the height was.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11