DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the DJI Fly upgrade allow active track and waypoints with the Mini 1?

judell

Reactions
I have a mini1 that I bought about a year ago.
I have noticed that the DJI Fly app has been upgrade several times over the last year. Two of the features I would like to try are active track, and way points. Have they added that capability to the upgrades?
I would rather not switch over to Litchi.
Great forum. Fantastic advice here.
Thanks
Jerry

So if you were me and looking to upgrade what would you recommend?
Does the FPV let you do that?
thanks for the quick response
Jerry

So if you were me and looking to upgrade what would you recommend?
Does the FPV let you do that?
thanks for the quick response
Jerry
DJI stopped allowing/implementing waypoints for it's consumer drones, so if you want the feature you need to go to their older models not their newer. Given you don't want to go third party. So glad I decided to go with a M2Z than the MA2 once again. The Fly App just isn't cutting it for me. Go4 all the way :p Along with a fully operational Litchi App...I have all I will need for 4-5 years. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PASDIRECTOR
I have a mini1 that I bought about a year ago.
I have noticed that the DJI Fly app has been upgrade several times over the last year. Two of the features I would like to try are active track, and way points. Have they added that capability to the upgrades?
I would rather not switch over to Litchi.
Great forum. Fantastic advice here.
Thanks
Jerry
The Mavic Mini doesn’t have forward sensors so it is physically not capable of active track in the way that it’s implemented by DJI.

Reactions: PASDIRECTOR
The Mavic Mini doesn’t have forward sensors so it is physically not capable of active track in the way that it’s implemented by DJI.
Active track is implemented using the main camera so it is physically possible.

After all the quickshots use a form of activetrack.

However without collision avoidance, it could be more risky.

Reactions: ckoerner
Active track is implemented using the main camera so it is physically possible.

After all the quickshots use a form of activetrack.

However without collision avoidance, it could be more risky.
The main camera is used to keep the camera fixed on the subject but active track uses the front stereo sensors to create a depth map which it uses to determine how the subject is moving relative to the drone and keep it at a fixed distance. There may be ways to do this without the stereo sensors but who knows how well it would work and this isn’t in DJI’s deck of cards at the moment.

Something like Spotlight 2.0 should be possible on the Mini where the main camera stays locked on the subject but getting the drone to follow the subject requires stereo sensors at least for the way it works in DJI’s implementation.

Absolutely, jump on the DroneLink site and have a look at their instructional videos. It’s not a flight app in the same way that Maven & Litchi are, but it’s a component based platform that you learn and build your missions from the ground up. You can pre-plan this stuff on a PC, Mac, iPad, basically and device with a web browser the save your missions to a repository (Cloud based folder)

The iPhone app then connects to the Mini in the same way DJI Fly does, and you can execute your missions with that.

I takes a while to get your head around it, but there’s heaps of instructional videos that run you through every part of it. You also have the option to use the pre-set missions in the iPhone app like follow me, orbit, manual waypoints where you fly to each waypoint and mark it then fly the mission.

May not be for you, but it’s well worth a look!!

Last edited:
Reactions: dronelink
I signed up. I shave always received excellent advice here. I have also spent more on Drone stuff only to be disappointed. Perhaps you could post links to good “beginner videos”. I have flown the drone for 30 hours learning a lot of the dos and donts. If not, I can find them on my own. Thanks again for the advice

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N